DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any specific settings for flying off a cliff then over the sea?

coffee-king

Reactions
Hi Guys
Does anyone have any specific settings suggestions for flying off a cliff then over the sea?
As in what to turn on/off?
I dont mean camera settings, just flight settings.

Thanks in advance.

You don't need to do anything special. The Mavic is not aware of where the ground is located, so it won't know you're flying off a cliff.

Just a Bit of advice.
I flew off a cliff over sea and mid flight experienced high wind gusts from where i was standing on top of cliff heading seaward.
what this meant for me was mavic struggled to make headway to get back to cliff top to land.

A firmware upgrade made earlier that same day had reset a setting enableing me to change flight mode whilst in flight, un beknown to me.

I got back to land by flying below cliff top until the last minute then gained altitude to get over cliff edge.

My advice. before hurling your expensive camera off a cliff top, check your settings, check your RTH settings and make sure your Battery is Fully charged and locked in propperly, Gusting wind can shake the old girl quite dramatically. No power, No Mavic.

Above ALL else, Keep your witts about you and good luck..

Just as SlackBladder stated, "keep your witts about you." The drone doesn't get nervous, the operator does. If you find there are strong upwinds as cliffs tend to have, especially cliffs facing water, take your time, and remember the drone isn't scared of heights. Best of luck. Hope to see some footage of you do take the dive, no pun intended. And always ensure the battery is seated properly before takeoff!

When flying off a cliff and you fly down towards the sea should we be worried about losing signal and control, as there will be a chunk of the earth between the controller and the drone. And does the RTH height calculate from where you took off from. So if your RTH height is set at 30m and the drone is at minus 30 will it rise to 60 before returning?

if your RTH height is set at 30m and the drone is at minus 30 will it rise to 60 before returning?
The drone will ascend up to 0 meters and then ascend to the 30 meter RTH altitude before returning to the home point.

I was outdoors and flew off a cliff with a waterfall and trees, the first flight it hadn't locked a GPS, and was in OPTI mode, and wouldn't climb, saying "max altitude" at only a few feet. Fortunately I could return and land, and by then it acquired a GPS signal and marked a home point out off the cliff.
Flew out again for the shot, and on returning it didn't let me fly it the last meter to get over my landing spot.then it just hovered fora few seconds not responding, until it flew full throttle straight up into the bottom of the tree canopy. Fortunately not into the water or off the cliffs.
I still don't know what happened- the go app 4 log ends before the climb to the trees. Seems to have lost rc link and activated fail safe, but I can't see how to find that info.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada