DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any Tips for flying Mavic VR with Litchi & Google Carboard?

HK!

Reactions
Hi
I just purchased Litchi and noticed the Cardboard VR option.
I only messed with it long enough to see the lack of on screen info, so Am naturally sketchy.

First off, I'm assuming you do or can run a USB cable from the phone to use the controller for flying?
I wouldn't fly with just my phone, let alone by head movements. Seems it would be a lot of head movements for full control and just one button.

Soo..Does anyone fly Mavic this way, and have Helpful things to report?
Many thx

I tried it for the first time last night using Litchi and my Google Daydream (after turning of the NFC sensor that triggers the daydream app). I had my son as an additional spotter. I couldn't get the OSD to focus - probably something to do with my glasses - I need to play with that setting a little bit more. I tried the head movement tracking setting - very disorienting because of the lag. the camera movement up/down tracking was great, however.

I'll definitely play with it some more.

I am still using these goggles:
Good VR Goggles for use with Litchi App

I don't use any head tracking and prefer controlling all functions by the Mavic remote.
The phone is connected to the remote's rear USB port by the phone's standard charging cable which is quite thin and flexible.

I have assigned the most important functions to remote buttons:
C1: focus on center of screen
C2: toggle between normal view and cardboard view
5-way stick up: toggling camera between looking forward and looking downwards
down: toggling screen between display of Mavic camera and the phone's rear camera

Have fun with flying!

I am still using these goggles:
Good VR Goggles for use with Litchi App

I don't use any head tracking and prefer controlling all functions by the Mavic remote.
The phone is connected to the remote's rear USB port by the phone's standard charging cable which is quite thin and flexible.

I have assigned the most important functions to remote buttons:
C1: focus on center of screen
C2: toggle between normal view and cardboard view
5-way stick up: toggling camera between looking forward and looking downwards
down: toggling screen between display of Mavic camera and the phone's rear camera

Have fun with flying!

Thx for replies. Id hoped the head tracking would control the gimble.

I got a great pair of aftermarket Cardboard Goggles. 'BOBOzr V4' they seem to be called.
Heaps of adjustment/screen button & headphones, so can listen to Music even
I see theres another usb port on the controller, so no have to order cable :)

NEway..Am going to find somewhere chill to test them out. Pretty women walking dogs will have
to wait a few days to be chat up ;P

Flew first time with Litchi VR Today. Truly awesome!
Anyone with $40 for a pair of Goggles needs to invest.

I thought no way was the Phone camera function (augmented reality) going to work with Android but it does.
Switching from visual to VR with a button is really kool, and stops you walking into stuff if you've chosen tocontrol the aircraft with your head.

I stuck to Manual gimbal for the first flight. Then tryed the gimbal head movements.
Only thing is to look down, you literally need to look down 90 degrees from where you where looking.
It's a good VR effect, but It overrides the "Reset Gimbal" button, so it's the only way to get a downward view.

Its great that you can use your Mobiles camera, because if you get a loss of signal/GPS warning, you can look through the goggle to your controller's display to get some idea of what's happening.

I had to remove the headset to cancel some RTH's manually, But it was not a big deal.

If there is a way to cancel RTH's via the controller with Litchi, that would be great to know.

DJI's goggles had better be well priced. I'm not paying $500 when you can fly VR this easy :)

Last edited:
Flew first time with Litchi VR Today. Truly awesome!
Anyone with $40 for a pair of Goggles needs to invest.

I thought no way was the Phone camera function (augmented reality) going to work with Android but it does.
Switching from visual to VR with a button is really kool, and stops you walking into stuff if you've chosen tocontrol the aircraft with your head.

I stuck to Manual gimbal for the first flight. Then tryed the gimbal head movements.
Only thing is to look down, you literally need to look down 90 degrees from where you where looking.
It's a good VR effect, but It overrides the "Reset Gimbal" button, so it's the only way to get a downward view.

Its great that you can use your Mobiles camera, because if you get a loss of signal/GPS warning, you can look through the goggle to your controller's display to get some idea of what's happening.

I had to remove the headset to cancel some RTH's manually, But it was not a big deal.

If there is a way to cancel RTH's via the controller with Litchi, that would be great to know.

DJI's goggles had better be well priced. I'm not paying $500 when you can fly VR this easy :)

You can flick the mode switch to Sport and back and will cancel any current mode including RTH . You can also leave it in Sport mode and select RTH again and it will fly back much faster , you just won't have obstacle avoidance but you should be high enough that won't matter .

You can flick the mode switch to Sport and back and will cancel any current mode including RTH . You can also leave it in Sport mode and select RTH again and it will fly back much faster , you just won't have obstacle avoidance but you should be high enough that won't matter .

Thats great to know, thx. Specially since most/all my signal losses are rectified by a 180, some altitude, or tweeking the antennae

VR aside, I've been meaning to ask if you can switch to sport via the switch mid flight with Litchi. Apparently
is no problem

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929