DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any1 try the aftermarket Gimbal Lock yet?

RallySoob

Reactions
Has anyone tried these yet? I hate the factory gimbal locking clamp so this is enticing. Red!

2917a5c12c010a699e80cc8500f00638.jpg
42b8979468d77ec9658223aaf9e27292.jpg

Reactions: dulwolf
I read they are 3d printed but a rubber like material not hard plastic fyi

"Dji Mavic Pro Gimbal Lock and Lens Cover All In One ! This was designed to serve three functions.. Cover and protect the lens, Lock the gimbal and camera in place for travel & storage, And allow the ability to equip while the dome is in place. I like it because It is up front so you wont forget to remove it. It is made of a semi-stiff rubber so no scratches and it will stay in place when properly used"

Reactions: Egika and KevinT
Is there a link available for this?

I looked at those, as I cannot stand another minute with the stock clamp, it really is a pain the arse. However, I couldn't bring myself to order one as the shipping charges to the UK are taking the piss!

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: willhay555
In meantime i copied another member and made this to help remember...
b1acfabacd9ee1103cdf5662319b23af.jpg

8b83fe574cdabdeb5a1c331033c3779f.jpg

c216772dbd3efada38e231524b33ccd6.jpg
efc11b5c8b7c2aa825ef553ede9d4c08.jpg

Fyi the patch/key chain can be found on amazon or ebay around 5$
da29fef67df0cdd94742f8ec565f9e43.jpg

Last edited:
Ordered mine a couple weeks ago, seems to have been a delay in shipping. I'll let you know what I think when it comes in.

Reactions: masaphotog
I had one, but returned it. The way it "snaps" on and off the camera made me uncomfortable and the way it slides onto a notch on the gimbal makes it (at least in my opinion) more difficult to use than the DJI gimbal clamp.

Reactions: RallySoob
I had one, but returned it. The way it "snaps" on and off the camera made me uncomfortable and the way it slides onto a notch on the gimbal makes it (at least in my opinion) more difficult to use than the DJI gimbal clamp.

Thank you for the report... any pictures of close up? Ide love to see how it actually works... but thank you im going to pass for now

I ordered one of these as well and just like nil said, I'm not too happy with how it mounts. I don't have any photos handy at the moment, but I will try to get some posted up soon. I'll be sticking with the factory gimbal lock as it really isn't that bad.

I'm not going to bother trying to return a $15 part, so if anyone else *really* hates their OEM gimbal lock and wants to try one of these, I'll send you mine if you cover the shipping.

Are you guys just in a huge hurry to fly? I don't understand why you can't remember to take of the guard. Just make it the first thing you do. It's simple, take off the bubble and guard. Then unfold the legs and start the remote/drone/app sequence. No need for big red ribbons or anything else just cluttering things up.

I'm using that gimbal lock and I love it. It's made of a semi-rigid rubber and once you flex it around a bit it's easy to install. I'd recommend watching the install video if you haven't already. I don't force the lens into the cup, just casually press it in a bit and it holds just fine. I specifically ordered it for use with the Taco RC ND filters, which I leave in place all the time. I think if the cup were just a bit bigger/wider, the lens would slip fully into place, but I don't see enough movement in the gimbal or it to be an issue. I did run my finger around the rim of the cup to loosen the material up a bit, so maybe that's why it fits better? Anyway, I like it...it's red, sits right in front so I can't miss it, and does what I want it to do!

Are you guys just in a huge hurry to fly? I don't understand why you can't remember to take of the guard. Just make it the first thing you do. It's simple, take off the bubble and guard. Then unfold the legs and start the remote/drone/app sequence. No need for big red ribbons or anything else just cluttering things up.

There is this thing called memory lapse... look into it. It exists. Or is it just a big conspiracy muhahaha

Jk but seriously u cant figure out how its possible to forget a tiny clear clip that hides behind the gimbal ? For many of us its a new and foreign set of procedures to begin with so forgetting that one is ez ya uhhu[emoji948][emoji100] [emoji242]

There is this thing called memory lapse... look into it. It exists. Or is it just a big conspiracy muhahaha

Jk but seriously u cant figure out how its possible to forget a tiny clear clip that hides behind the gimbal ? For many of us its a new and foreign set of procedures to begin with so forgetting that one is ez ya uhhu[emoji948][emoji100] [emoji242]
I can see that, plus the gimbal seems pretty fragile and it's better to be safe than sorry.

Nutty question: Do you really need a lock if you're careful with handling? I use my lock when traveling longer distances, but rarely between short (walking) trips to my "airfield" or a short drive.

Yes, you should really use the gimbal lock when transporting your Mavic. The Mavic's gimbal is very fragile.

I forgot the gimbal lock once. Got a warning on the screen. Haven't forgotten since.

What I *have* forgotten is the microSD card at home. That sucks. So I might modify a dead old uSD card and add a long red ribbon to replace the real one during processing to indicate that the real SD card is not installed. Other practice is to never snap the cover in place if there is no SD card loaded.

As to putting the gimbal lock on I find if one tries to put it in it's place while pretty much ignoring the camera, then in the last few mm of travel a slight nudge and everything falls into place.

Don't fight it and it does it all for you.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7