DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone change their control stick configuration to mimic FPS games?

DoctorDray

Reactions
I'm an old school gamer from way back so I'm wondering if anyone has customised their mavic controller sticks to mimic flying games e.g.

Left stick - L/R strafes the Mavic left and right
Left stick - U/D moves the Mavic forward and backward
Right stick - L/R rotates the Mavic left and right
Right stick - U/D... U makes the Mavic lower altitude, D makes the Mavic increase altitude.

I've left my control sticks in the default configuration... and I have to concentrate to remember what they do. Of course this is getting easier with practice, but I'm wondering if anyone has done the above or similar.

I'm an old school gamer from way back so I'm wondering if anyone has customised their mavic controller sticks to mimic flying games e.g.

Right stick - U/D... U makes the Mavic lower altitude, D makes the Mavic increase altitude.

I've left my control sticks in the default configuration... and I have to concentrate to remember what they do. Of course this is getting easier with practice, but I'm wondering if anyone has done the above or similar.

Haha yup switch to controller setting 3 and you'll love it. This was exactly went through my mind when I originally opened my mavic. I was like hmmm all pc games I use my left hand for wasd (forward/backward and right/left strafe) and my right hand aims. Even thought back to how I held my N64 controller back the day playing bond. It's super intuitive to me.

Having flown RC Helicopters in the USA for a while, I am just glad that the Mavic defaults to "mode 2" layout even when sold in Japan. If it was stuck in "mode 1" and not reconfigurable I would not have bought one.

Mode 3 user here... And yes, it's because I'm a gamer.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

AH, this is probably why I feel so awkward controlling my mavic... I need to switch to gamer mode! Thanks for the tip!

I just tried flying in Mode 3 this morning and it makes it so much more intuitive for me :)

I did the same thing! I think I make the right toggle towards me increase altitude so it mimics the yoke on a plane.

Mode 3 for me.

I nearly crashed the Mavic on the first-go with "normal" mode. I then immediately tried a FPS game and was messing up there too.

I did the same thing! I think I make the right toggle towards me increase altitude so it mimics the yoke on a plane.

How did you this?
I tried to do the same - I went into custom mode and dragged the descend icon to the up direction of the right stick and the climb icon to the down direction of the right stick, but it didn't invert the controls. Up was still climb and down was still dive :(

Definitely find the Mode 3 layout more intuitive - not a huge gamer, but enough to make that layout easiest for me.

Mode 2 for me. Just feels right. Could do Mode 3 too.

Ha I thought I was the only one! Tried the first few days on Mode 1, and found it non-intuitive, being a longtime FPS gamer.

Switched to Mode 3 and I'm instantly a much better pilot. :) Makes much more sense! The only thing better would be U/D on the right stick controlling the gimbal, and use the wheel for Altitude. ;)

How about a poll? Which number Mode are operators using?

I have been using mode 2 the "normal" mode, been toying with switching to mode 3 but i feared that i would be shunned for doing so, i also owned a parrot AR 2.0 so that is how I'm used to my controls.

I've been using Mode 2 but I've been thinking about switching. I have over 10 hours in the air but the controls still confuse me from time to time, and I think it's because my brain is used to FPS style and my wires are getting crossed. After reading this I think I'll make the switch and see how it goes.

Sold! I currently fly mode 2 and never thought about changing but just imagining the mode 3 config makes me feel so much more comfortable....so from next flight on it will be Mode 3. Thanks !

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+