DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ANYONE ELSE GET THIS WHERE THRY FLY?

MrMavic

Reactions
I don't mind people watching, but sometimes they can get really annoying when they ask a million questions and you are trying to concentrate on what's going on with the bird. I really don't have a problem with it here in Western Montana, but a friend of mine does in the city where he lives. I told him to print this out and have his wife tape it on his back. LOL

Screen Shot 2017-04-02 at 8.35.02 PM-2.jpg

Flying drones, for me, is a fun hobby and I like to share my joy of flying with anyone who wants to learn. Ive made many new friends and customers by being friendly to onlookers. Since drones are sort of new to people, most are amazed at them, especially something as big as a Phantom or Mavic. I have had dozens of people inquire about my drone when they see it, but nobody has ever been rude and interrupted a flight to ask a question. They always wait until I acknowledge their presence. If I see someone who looks like hes gonna ask a question, I usually ask them to wait until I land and then they can ask me anything.

If you or your friend dont want people to watch you fly, you might wear a hardhat and construction vest to make yourself look more official, and then maybe people wont watch as much, but people are people and are always curious.

I have also had numerous police officers watch me from their cars as I fly, but have never been hassled by them, they were just curious too.

Last edited:
Reactions: erkme73
Don't get me wrong, I have never been rude to onlookers. Dennis spends the winter in Florida and people are a little different there it seems with being rude and even demanding, wanting free photos and such. I've never had that problem here at all, and I like to show others what's going on. They're just curious and that's normal.
I normally don't fly where there are people, lots of open space here.

Last edited:
I tend to hide when flying the Mavic, landing when anyone approaches... For other I must look like someone who's into something bad :)

Yeah I try to stay away from people, 1 some people are idiots and think everyone is out to spy on them two, id rather keep my concentration on the Mavic.

Reactions: frankiez
Yeah I try to stay away from people, 1 some people are idiots and think everyone is out to spy on them two, id rather keep my concentration on the Mavic.

I totally get it, I told my neighbors that I am getting a MP, I will be flying it around my property don't get alarmed I'm not spying on anyone. Yesterday I was in my front yard doing just that getting use too the controls. My neighbor, I know he meant it as a joke, but being uptight of the persona of drone operators. Hearing the words, that up there too long, I know where the implication was. Anyone wanted too see my unedited unappealing videos I'll show them lol. I'm just trying to get comfy on control settings.

Personally I always try to fly when no one is around - I get very apprehensive when people do approach. I've definitely found the under 30's find drones a non issue, and the over 65's are generally quite interested in this 'new technology'. However, I do find that some people inbetween those age groups are quite hostile, I assume it's all the negative press in mainstream media.

The press doesn't help at all but mainly I have found spectators to be very enthusiastic and friendly. Most just want to see themselves on the screen from up in the air. Only ever had one negative comment made. But would rather be on my own when flying to be honest so try and find little pockets of isolation if I can.

Reactions: AF1
If they had a problem with drones, it's likely they're engaging in illegal activity or something that might embarrass them.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calezu