DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone else seeing large battery drain on iphone?

Video cache disabled, hardware decoding disabled, and location for DJI go 4 disabled...still experimenting. Same issue when using the simulator.

This is specific to the iphone, my iPad only uses 5-7% per battery, where as my iPhone sucks down 20% per battery, so I fly my 4 batteries and I pretty much have a dead phone. At least I can connect it to one of the Mavic batteries to get a quick boost.

I have an iPhone 6s Plus no issues at all. Latest iOS version installed 10.2 and latest DJI firmware. I run in airplane mode but wifi is turned on.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Yes iOS 10.1.1 was horrible with battery while flying. My battery can last me 3 days on my 6S. But I started a flight with 100% once and the phone was off after 15 minutes. Battery dead. Talked to apple. I guess iOS 10.1.1 and GO4 did not like each other according to iOS diagnostics logs. Apple tech asked if remote was trying to take power from phone? After iOS 10.2 i have only lost now 15% per fully battery flight

30 mins of flying today, went from 93% to 10% on 6s plus. This was with everything enabled though.

30 mins of flying today, went from 93% to 10% on 6s plus. This was with everything enabled though.
Even with everything enabled it shouldn't use near that much. My iPad air2 only used 7% on a full battery flight. Not sure if it is actually using that much, or if there is a reporting bug, some people have stated that the battery reports a higher percentage after a reboot, this would indicate a battery percentage reporting bug. (or just a bounce back after the load was removed) Wish there was a real time battery load tester.

I plugged mine into a charger for maybe 20 minutes and it was back up to 65%. Restarted it and it jumped to 85%.. I dunno what's causing this but it's pretty annoying

I did a flight yesterday (iPhone 6) and it was unbelievable. With a fully charged battery, I got a warning after 4 minutes and 45 seconds that I was at 10%. By the time I got the Mavic landed (30 seconds later), the phone was totally flat and dead. The interesting thing was when I plugged it in to charge, it was back to 85% in eight minutes. Note that I tired an iPad and there is no problem at all so it appears to be uniquely related to the iPhone. And now I have to wait eight days to get into the Apple store. (Incidentally, I was using DJI Go 4)
So, after waiting eight days, I was informed by Apple that the battery is functioning correctly. The problem appears to be the weather, specifically the fact the phone is not designed to operate below 0C or 32F. It's not a problem when you hold it in your hand for calls or texting but when it is in the controller and the temperature is below freezing, the phone shuts down and it will look like a flat battery (so I was told at the Genius bar). That means for us in the frosty north (Canada) where temperatures easily get below freezing during winter, the Mavic is grounded if you are using an iPhone 6. I'll be watching the weather for the "warm" winter days.

Reactions: Khy
Same thing happened to me yesterday when it was 50F outside. I think there's more going on, not that either company seems very interested in admitting that

Having same issue as many of you. iPhone 6. Turned brightness down. No real improvement. One post commented on Ambient outdoor temp. That has nothing to do with it. Took phone to Apple Store today and they said all was fine with battery. Mavic kills iPhone battery way before mavic battery dies. But after restarting phone it shows plenty of battery. Have not yet killed wifi and gps as others have suggested. Will try next Flight.

I can leave wi-fi and GPS on as well as full bright and the Mavic is using about 15-17% per flight, did for flights today full battery and when I finished the iPhone 6+ was down to 35% from full, the temp was 50º. So I can basically burn 4 batteries and then have to recharge my phone, but as I only have 4 batteries, and that is close to two hours of flying I am good with that. When I get my Mavmount I will try my Air2 and see how it does.

What model phone are you on?

I'd be thrilled to get better than 2-3% per minute of flight time.. I can kill the phone battery before I can get through two Mavic batteries

I'm using an iPhone 6s Plus that is just over a year old and I see around a 15% drop per flight. When I don't fly my battery easily last all day.

So I couldn't get apple to fix my 6S without mailing it in so I bit the bullet and bought a 7 for the time being. Seeing no more issues with battery for this guy! Once I get my 6S back I'll give that a whirl and try it out again

My phone's battery drains fast using Google maps. I always plug it in when using the navigation feature. DJI's GO app like many others uses Google map service. I'm sure that's what's causing the rapid drain on iPhone batteries. My phone also heats up. The app is such a power hog.

My iPhone 6 on iOS 10.2 is having huge drain issues as well. It appears that Apple is working on them, though.

I signed up to the public beta and updated to 10.2.1 Beta 2. The battery issue is fixed in that version. Alternatively, you can wait until the beta is normally released. You can enroll in the beta program here Apple Beta Software Program

Reactions: Sharifs
Does it matter if your flying or not for the drain. If the Mavic is on and connected to the remote but not flying does it still drain at the same rate?

Also have you guys tried restoring the iPhone to factory settings?

I have an iPhone 6s Plus and don't see the same drain. However my phone is dedicated to the drone and was wiped prior to using it.

I ran through three batteries today, granted much of it was in sport mode just screwing around so my flight times were by no means on the longest end, but my iPhone 7 running 10.2 only dropped from 97% to 74% and I left the screen on during battery changes, walking back and forth to the truck, etc.

Just anecdotally, but it seems like most folks commenting on large battery drains are on 6 or 6s phones. Dunno if it's the phone, or the battery age, but it seems pointed mostly at those two phones.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54