DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone else seeing large battery drain on iphone?

I agree, I still have all my old I Phones on whatever IOS they were on at that time and have been breaking them back out for kicks just to try them. The only one I have an issue with is my 6S.

I really don't see the reason for speculation on the issue. The issue is well known and discussed online

I wasn't aware that you already tracked down the problem to certain fw versions, sorry.

But in my case it's not speculation but first-hand experience. I had bad draining issues with an iPhone 6 wich where gone after restoring the phone.

Except I'm on 10.2.1 beta and it's just as bad as it's always been.

I upgraded from my 6S to 7 Plus after Apple pissed me off during the Verizon $0 sale before Christmas.
I'm so imbedded with Apple, had no choice. They had been great up till the 6S. Store recognized issues but was not part of recall and would not bend. Really annoying. But the plus to the Plus is bigger viewing and zero battery issues.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Except I'm on 10.2.1 beta and it's just as bad as it's always been.
If it's bad as it's always been, then it's not the issue we're talking about. The issue we're talking about started recently. You probably have a different problem with regular bad battery life.

Folks,
I am seeing a 20%-30%+ battery drain per flight/battery on my iphone. This seems pretty high. Is anyone else seeing this?

Stilgar
What happens when you use litchie.....does the battery still drain fast ?

What happens when you use litchie.....does the battery still drain fast ?

I am not totally certain but it seems to drain slower on Litchi. It's hard to compare apples to apples on this. I do most of my photographic flying on Litchi and will use DJI go for training flights and updates.

I have had battery issues with my iPhone 6 where it would go from 95% to 10% in a single flight jusing DJI Go but each time that happened it was well below freezing (0 C) outside. Yesterday it was 60 Degrees F here and I flew a total of about 35 minutes using two Mavic batteries (this was split between Litchi and DJI Go 4 almost evenly). My iPhone 6 battery went from 90% down to 70% during all this flying which I think is quite good. I did disable video caching in an effort to maximize my battery time. Based on this,I think my biggest problem with the iPhone is keeping the battery warm in cold temps.

My 6S is normal, running iOS 10.2 and no battery issues when flying. It's weird but I noticed this fast draining some time ago when I started using the Osmo Mobile + GO. But since I started using the same iPhone with my new Mavic + GO it's all back to normal.

Today I did 3 quite long flights with Active Track during a 3 hour MTB ride and came back with 68%. I must say the weather here is warm, with temps in the high 90s. Maybe this has some effect, LiPOs are pretty sensitive to ambient temperature.

My 6S is normal, running iOS 10.2 and no battery issues when flying. It's weird but I noticed this fast draining some time ago when I started using the Osmo Mobile + GO. But since I started using the same iPhone with my new Mavic + GO it's all back to normal.

Today I did 3 quite long flights with Active Track during a 3 hour MTB ride and came back with 68%. I must say the weather here is warm, with temps in the high 90s. Maybe this has some effect, LiPOs are pretty sensitive to ambient temperature.

Same here. In warm temps the iPhone does fine.

The problem is definitely related to using the iPhone in colder temperatures. It is not "certified" to work below 0C (32F). When held in the hand (such as text or a phone call), it usually isn't a problem until much much colder temperatures, but because it sits in the remote grips when flying it is fully exposed to the air and very quickly gets below the temperature in which it can function. Unfortunately, some propeller-head at Apple chose to decide that when the phone it outside its operating temperature, it will simulate a total battery failure instead if providing a useful message such "brrrr. It's too cold" and sends the owner on a goose chase.

Mine stopped working during another MTB ride two days ago, it displayed a "too hot to function, wait cool down to operate" message because it was burning inside my backpack attached to the controller under the baking sun. It just wouldn't start, but during flight it kept going even when really really warm.

Does anyone find a difference between the iPhone and the iPad with battery drain. I went out flying yesterday and my phone was dead after a battery and a half.

Took the Mavic for a couple of flights this morning.
At the end of the first 5 minutes flight I noticed that my iPhone 6 had shut down (completely shut down).
After I powered it up, it showed around 60% battery left.
Took off again for a 5 minutes or so flight and the phone completely shut down again towards the end of the flight - black screen! Landed the Mavic, which was nearby. Easy, but definitely disturbing.
Powered up the phone again and sure enough, around 55% battery left.
So: random complete sudden iPhone shutdowns when flying while there is plenty of juice left in the phone.
Phone's power button is unobstructed and I am nowhere near touching it.

This is not good.....I'll try flying some with my iPad Mini and see what happens.

I used to have a similar problem with my iPhone 6. For me it was a swelling battery. These usually have a 2 year warranty I believe. I took it to an Apple Store and walked out with a new phone after a couple of tests.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

If its really a thermal issue shutting down your phone then nothing will help except maybe some Velcro and a heat pad strapped to the back of the phone.

If it is a battery problem you might want to check out "Battery Doctor"
I have used it for years and it gives me about 50% more battery time using it's deep charge cycle. Only use it about once in every 10-15 charges, the effects last through a few cycles. Charging time is very long so be prepared.

Link
Battery Doctor - Master of Battery Maintenance on the App Store

Rob

I flew today. Weather was about 32F and windy. Went through 3 batteries and my 6s+ had 98% when I started and after flying and using all 3 batteries I was down to 78%. That's with DJI GO 4 app. Phone is in airplane mode and wifi is on. iOS 10.2

I did a full reset/restore today on my 6s plus and I'm running the latest 10.2.1 beta. If it'll ever stop raining I'll try to do some flying and see if that helped my battery issues

Hi all,

In my flights today using iPhone 6+ (not S) I See the same quick drainage. Flying two batteries took my phone down from 90% down to 10%.

In the battery menu of the phone I saw the following: 51% was used today by DJI GO from Audio. The phone microphone is switched on when he app is open to record audio. But it seems that that is a drainer.

I'll try to disallow microphone acces for the DJI app and let you know if that made a difference.

Best
Lenin

Attachments

• IMG_4798.PNG
    IMG_4798.PNG
    253.6 KB · Views: 32
I found turning off "cache during video shooting" made all the difference on battery drainage of my iPhone 6s. Not sure if that's true for the 6+ though.

Hi all,

In my flights today using iPhone 6+ (not S) I See the same quick drainage. Flying two batteries took my phone down from 90% down to 10%.

In the battery menu of the phone I saw the following: 51% was used today by DJI GO from Audio. The phone microphone is switched on when he app is open to record audio. But it seems that that is a drainer.

I'll try to disallow microphone acces for the DJI app and let you know if that made a difference.

Best
Lenin
I saw the same ridiculous battery drain on my 6s plus. The battery on that phone was horrible for me.. I strongly believe it had a battery problem but apple said they tested it and it had over 90% of the original capacity, so they wouldn't do anything. I used another utility I found online and it said the actual capacity was more like 70% of the original capacity. I have no way to know which is actually correct.

Regardless.. I just got an iPhone 7 plus. First flight of almost 20 minutes and only 11% battery used on the phone which is obviously much, much more palatable.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rocko42