DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone have a definitive answer on whether an Ipad needs cellular to do follow me?

vinscuzzy

Reactions
Broke my screen on my iPad Mini 2 Cellular/LTE and I'm going to get an iPad mini 4, and I was wondering if anyone knows, from experience, on whether the cellular/lte is necessary to use the Follow Me function. I know with the phantom it was necessary because the phantoms controller didn't have GPS, but since the Mavic controller DOES have GPS, is the cellular model still a requirement? I called DJI tech support, and they said NO, it is not necessary, but the woman I spoke to didn't seem like she was very experienced. Ive read a lot of posts where there has been different opininons, but they are ALL OVER THE PLACE with their responses. Anyone care to chime in?

I was wondering if anyone knows, from experience, on whether the cellular/lte is necessary to use the Follow Me function
The Mavic's remote controller does not contain a GPS receiver. You will need a mobile device with a GPS receiver if you'd like to use the Follow Me feature.

Reactions: MavicMo
Cell is not that important unless you are following objects at a long distance.
Most people are now using active tracking (the camera tracks) which does not require GPS.

Do NOT get the wifi version of the ipads if you are using GPS follow-me. Wifi Only ipads do NOT have any gps chips. All ipads with cell will however have GPS chips. Try and find a device that is GLONAS and GPS to get additional sats, as the GO app always complains that there is not enough sats for follow-me.

Reactions: dupuisdaddyo
Also, if you ever find yourself in a situation where you have moved from the launch point (e.g. you are on a boat floating in the water) you will need a device with GPS in order to update the home point in order that an errant disconnect doesn't sent the Mavic to RTH to your prior location, and subsequently lands it into the water.

Reactions: Mako79
I assume if you get a cellular model you'll have gps but you wouldn't necessarily need a data plan.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I assume if you get a cellular model you'll have gps but you wouldn't necessarily need a data plan.

Correct, nothing says you have to sign up for a data plan, but, that being said you might like to load maps on the fly. And you can only do that with data, or a hotspot connection to a device with data.

no data plan will work fine. Only draw back is that you may have to hang around for 1-2 minutes for sat lock.

Correct, nothing says you have to sign up for a data plan, but, that being said you might like to load maps on the fly. And you can only do that with data, or a hotspot connection to a device with data.

From what I have seen in the DJI software you can stay at home in WiFi range and Cache a large section of Map data for the area you want to fly in. So in theory you should have a proper Map if you know roughly the area that you will be flying in.

Just look into Garmin Glo. It's a very small device that hooks to your tablet through Bluetooth and give it gps.

From what I have seen in the DJI software you can stay at home in WiFi range and Cache a large section of Map data for the area you want to fly in. So in theory you should have a proper Map if you know roughly the area that you will be flying in.
This is true, and works well for local area flying, but what about that spur of the moment awesome view you just spotted, or an extended trip? I am not sure how large the map buffer size is but doubt you could cache the entire Southwest.

Ended up getting a iPad Air 2 with cellular/lte. My parrot bebop2 also needs gps to function properly, so got it just to be safe. Thanks for all the responses! Kind of annoying that I need to come here to get an accurate response, rather than being able to get the right answer from DJI, but I guess that's the state of tech support these days.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929