DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone have experience mapping?

WesTex

Reactions
Future first time drone owner here (Ordered Nov 2)

So, Ive obviously been wearing out my computer with searches all things mavic, and have found some programs and companies that have software allowing drone pilots to map out any given area. The first I found was from Maps Made Easy:

Maps Made Easy - Drone Mapping

But Ive Also recently found other apps that claim to offer the same service. Has anyone actually done any Drone mapping? What app did you use, and are there any that you WOULDNT recommend??

Thanks in advance, and I cant WAIT to get my Mavic in the air!!

I've used both Agisoft Photoscan and Pix4d, they are very good. Now days there are many vendors offering applications for the novice such as Maps made easy and Drone deploy.

Reactions: WesTex
We do a lot of drone mapping at work and as GlenT said, Photoscan and Pix4d are brilliant but boy do they cost. You could try Drone Deploy which is free up to a point. Here is an example of a failing sea wall which was collected with a P4 and ground control.

1.JPG 2.JPG

Reactions: WesTex
Most of the Apps have been updated for the Mavic but I've only tried Drone Deploy so far. The narrower FOV really does effect the result, I guess I'll need to fly 30-40 metres higher for the same result, not even sure if that will fix the other issues.
Here's a comparison with the Phantom 4 I did

Reactions: Jim.....
Most of the Apps have been updated for the Mavic but I've only tried Drone Deploy so far. The narrower FOV really does effect the result, I guess I'll need to fly 30-40 metres higher for the same result, not even sure if that will fix the other issues.
Did several flights today with DD, the first flight would always be out of focus, the second one wouldn't because I'd land the first flight in sports mode which must trigger the auto focus setting. Have you experienced the OOF issues? If not what's your startup procured with DD? Cheers

Did several flights today with DD, the first flight would always be out of focus, the second one wouldn't because I'd land the first flight in sports mode which must trigger the auto focus setting. Have you experienced the OOF issues? If not what's your startup procured with DD? Cheers
Funny you should say that because I was EXPECTING focus issues and did 2 runs in anticipation of a problem.
1st run, I never focussed the Mavic and while doing the run the FPV screen just showed blank, when it came back home I switched to sports mode to kill the landing procedure, switched to DJI Go and set the focus then uploaded a duplicate flight path and now it showed the FPV screen.
Weird thing is once it had finished the run it reset the focus so it was blurry at 80 metres.
Checking the photos they ALL came out fine though.

odd, going to have to play around, seems a bit sketchy, my in focus run got processed and tagged as "inspire"

Brilliantly useful video, thanks.

hi,
is there anyone experience using this mapping application inside the Building?
let say i have to measure the volume of my stockpile inside the warehouse, with the range between maksimum peak of pile and the roof less than 3meters height?
any information really appreciated.

Thanks.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots