DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone in the Lexington, Kentucky area?

Is this thread dead? I'm a new member and live in Lexington. just got my Mavic last week.
I haven't flown much, mostly because I'm still trying to research all local laws.

Is this thread dead? I'm a new member and live in Lexington. just got my Mavic last week.
I haven't flown much, mostly because I'm still trying to research all local laws.

Welcome Shanes! A couple of us on here meet up to fly on occasion.

Welcome Shanes! A couple of us on here meet up to fly on occasion.

That's great! The FAA website shows that over 60 UAVs have been registered in my zip code alone. If I'm understanding right, registration is not require any more correct? Has anyone here tried notifying the local heliports before flying yet? If so, how did it go? Even Jacobson Park seems to be within a 5 mile radius of two heliports and an airport called "coal field".

Registration is not required at the moment for hobby UAS flight since it was overturned by the court. However, if you plan to use your flights for profit then you will need to have a part 107 certificate from the FAA. You're always going to be within 5 miles of some sort of airfield or landing pad. I notified Bluegrass Airport one time a while back and was given the standard "we advise against any drone flights within 5 miles of the airport", but after speaking with the control tower directly they asked for location, duration, and height of my flights then I was given the "all clear."

It's great that you are doing your research.

Reactions: skygoose
What about all of the hospital heliports? Baptist Health, Saint Joseph, etc?
Do we need to notify them as well? Has anyone ran into someone from the local Police Department while flying?

Welcome Shanes. Would love to have you out with me and JW sometime. I've got 125 flights and over a million feet of flying in less than 2 months and not a single issue.

With that said, here's a short read that was passed onto me. Take it with a grain of salt and if you reach out to the heliports, let us know what they say! Looking forward to meeting you.

Welcome Shanes. Would love to have you out with me and JW sometime. I've got 125 flights and over a million feet of flying in less than 2 months and not a single issue.

With that said, here's a short read that was passed onto me. Take it with a grain of salt and if you reach out to the heliports, let us know what they say! Looking forward to meeting you.

You said "Here's a short read that was passed onto me".
Is there a file attached to your post that I cant see? Maybe my account is too new?

I'm looking foreword to meeting you guys too! This technology is very cool - as a software developer i'm not interested in Photography, but I'm definitely interested in the capabilities of these things!

You said "Here's a short read that was passed onto me".
Is there a file attached to your post that I cant see? Maybe my account is too new?

I'm looking foreword to meeting you guys too! This technology is very cool - as a software developer i'm not interested in Photography, but I'm definitely interested in the capabilities of these things!
Oops. Probably helps if I attach the link. Haha
Does 5 mile no fly zone apply to small helipads for hospitals and not frequently used locations? • r/drones

Of more interest to you, take a look at the thread about Coptersafe and the hacks they've developed . It's pretty interesting.
I'm off to the Bay Area tomorrow but will be back in a week. Hopefully the 3 of us can get together then.

Oops. Probably helps if I attach the link. Haha
Does 5 mile no fly zone apply to small helipads for hospitals and not frequently used locations? • r/drones

Of more interest to you, take a look at the thread about Coptersafe and the hacks they've developed . It's pretty interesting.
I'm off to the Bay Area tomorrow but will be back in a week. Hopefully the 3 of us can get together then.

Thanks.
Coptersafe looks interesting. My Nephew develops IPhone Jailbreaks (p0sixninja.. greenpois0n). I'm sure if we got together we could pretty easily duplicate Coptersafe's firmware patches, maybe even do it better.

I look forward to meeting you! Have a safe trip.

Thanks.
Coptersafe looks interesting. My Nephew develops IPhone Jailbreaks (p0sixninja.. greenpois0n). I'm sure if we got together we could pretty easily duplicate Coptersafe's firmware patches, maybe even do it better.

I look forward to meeting you! Have a safe trip.
If you can figure out a way to do that, you could make a fortune as the guys are all over it right now!

Sounds good and hopefully the weather lets you fly all weekend!

Moved to the Lexington area from Florida a little over a year ago so I'm still new to the area. Looking for other pilots in the Lexington- Slade- West Liberty area.

I'm north of ya in Corinth KY. Would love to hook up with others in the hobby for some flying.

Reactions: jwjonesjr
Moved to the Lexington area from Florida a little over a year ago so I'm still new to the area. Looking for other pilots in the Lexington- Slade- West Liberty area.
I'm in Georgetown.

Reactions: jwjonesjr
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura