DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone try BTG intelligent car charger?

Mavic626

Reactions
I am looking for a car charger for my mavic which will work when my car is off (my current car 12 volt cig lighter is always powered on). I know the official one will not charge unless the car is on. I have read some good reviews on the cheap $20 one. But I just found this one popping up, I like it because it rotates, has a usb port, and shows the voltage. I have not seen any reviews on this to see how it works and if it works with the car off.

car charger.jpg

Confused, if the cig lighter is always on, the official charger will charge until the car battery volts drops to the point where it can't push current into the Mavic battery, this charger may react in the same.

Reactions: Herathome
I have tried to charge my batteries with the official 12v charger in my 4wd but it just flashed for hours and didn't charge at all.
I even tried a small 240volt inverter using the other 240 charge but it wont even light up.?

I have heard the same thing about the official battery charger for car charging not working if the car is off. It looks like the voltage has to be above 13v for the charger to work. The $20 aftermarket one that looks like the old car cell phone chargers work. I was wondering if anyone had any input with the white one with the lcd listed above.

here is a link of the DJI and aftermarked car charger in action.

Just an update, this will not work if your car is off. the LCD voltage is off, when my battery is idle it says 11 volts which is not accurate. I would recommend getting the cheaper aftermarket one.

It's because you're battery is 12v... only when your car is running will your lighter get more than that. Typically and alternator in a car will push 13.1v or so... otherwise if your car running would only produce 12v and you're car and accessories are pulling 12v essentially it will not ever keep up with the output.

WARNING- If you run stuff off your car battery for too long without running the car, it will drain your battery to the point you may not be able to start it later. A charger that only works when the car is running is not an inconvenience, it is a safety measure to prevent people who don't know any better from having a dead car battery.

WARNING- If you run stuff off your car battery for too long without running the car, it will drain your battery to the point you may not be able to start it later. A charger that only works when the car is running is not an inconvenience, it is a safety measure to prevent people who don't know any better from having a dead car battery.

Where Amy captain obvious memes? Yes too long without the alternator refilling your onboard lead acid battery and you're kaput.

I use a 12v to 14 v converter i got for $10 to get around this with the offical DJI mavic charger, works like a charm.
your car batteries are around 60ah to 120 ah, your mavic battieres are about 3.5ah you would be charging your batteries more than 15 times or charging you batteries constantly for a whole day before you discharge you car batteries , id charge them no more than 6 times for the whole day them drive off.

I also posted elsewhere I am lucky to have a camper van with 2 x 160 watt solar panels and 2 deep cycle batteries. My charger has no problems running off those. Well over 13 volts even on a cloudy day.

Ah that explains things!

I wired up two extention power sockets in my MPV - the front one charges the Mavic batteries just fine but not the rear one. I guess the extra cable run makes the voltage drop just below the threshold.

So what I need is the little 12v - 14v converters mentioned earlier.

Can anybody recommend one?

Ah that explains things!

I wired up two extention power sockets in my MPV - the front one charges the Mavic batteries just fine but not the rear one. I guess the extra cable run makes the voltage drop just below the threshold.

So what I need is the little 12v - 14v converters mentioned earlier.

Can anybody recommend one?
I'm the same as you,even though I run a fridge off my back battery it still falls below the threshold,even when vehicle is running so I ordered the one on ebay.
Probably got something to do with the smart alternators now being used on newer vehicles.
I,m not going down the path of the step up 12v to 14v yet and will see how the other one turns out.
Please keep us informed if you find one that works well though.

This could solve all your problems
Make up a female cigarette socket to attach it and off you go.
Should be able to easily handle at least 3 recharges and you don't need to be anywhere near your car like on a hike or camping.
14.8 volts, 10 AH
5-28-2017 10-26-23 PM.jpg

Reactions: Herathome
Just an update, I bought the generic $20 car charger and it charges my batteries up with the engine off in 50 minutes from 30%.

I know everyone thinks the charger will run your car battery down but think about it... My car has a 60 AH battery. If I charge up 2 batteries it will consume 6 amps. so my car battery is still 90% after 2 charges. I have tested this and my car starts right up after charging.

I could see it being a problem if I charge 10 batteries but I only own 3. here is the photo of the cheap one that works. I hope this helps someone and happy flying!

cheap mavic charger.jpg

I use a 12v to 14 v converter i got for $10 to get around this with the offical DJI mavic charger, works like a charm.
your car batteries are around 60ah to 120 ah, your mavic battieres are about 3.5ah you would be charging your batteries more than 15 times or charging you batteries constantly for a whole day before you discharge you car batteries , id charge them no more than 6 times for the whole day them drive off.
Keep in mind that lead-acid batteries have a limited lifetime (number of charge cycles), and their capacity diminishes as they experience more cycles. So, it would be unwise to rely on the simple math above, but instead conservatively use about 50% of the rated capacity or such calculations, as this is the point at which problems start to occur severe enough to cause most people to get a new battery.

Just an update, I bought the generic $20 car charger and it charges my batteries up with the engine off in 50 minutes from 30%.

I know everyone thinks the charger will run your car battery down but think about it... My car has a 60 AH battery. If I charge up 2 batteries it will consume 6 amps. so my car battery is still 90% after 2 charges. I have tested this and my car starts right up after charging.

I could see it being a problem if I charge 10 batteries but I only own 3. here is the photo of the cheap one that works. I hope this helps someone and happy flying!

View attachment 13897
Thanks for the update, mines in the mail so no longer will I be limited to 3 batteries for the day.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allezzov