DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone try this tablet holder?

Scottotheforest

Reactions
Like the price ($31ish Canadian, Amazon), aluminum build and lanyard hole, but wonder about RC toggle access. Anyone?
f80359699764449fc4842ab60efaf4bf.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using MavicPilots mobile app

Scott,

I looked it up on Amazon. I don't see any way to tilt the arm that holds the actual holder at the base where it connects to the baseplate. Therefore, I would suspect that it will block your view of the RC screen.

Jerry

The arm doesn't tilt, but the holder does since it's on a ball joint. It'll definitely block the view of the remote controller screen. That shouldn't be a deal-breaker though for those who never use that screen. I'm suspecting most people don't use it.

Reactions: Auspete
Have one on order with the sunshades from PGY. Hope to get them this week sometime so can report back if anyone is interested.

Scott,

I looked it up on Amazon. I don't see any way to tilt the arm that holds the actual holder at the base where it connects to the baseplate. Therefore, I would suspect that it will block your view of the RC screen.

Jerry

If you are familiar with the DJI Inspire, there is no screen on the controller...so, it'd be just like flying an Inspire. Plus, there is no critical information on the Mavic controller screen that is not on the iPad...

Bottom line, no reason not to use something like that.

I don't want one that I have to rest on my forearms and reach under for the sticks, or one that blocks the controller screen. I normally don't use the controller screen much, but if I lose video feed for some reason, then the controller screen will become very important very fast, and I don't want it blocked.

Reactions: qa1952
Thank you everyone. I don't use the controller screen much, but if it blocks the screen, as F6Rider says, you'd want to see that screen fast in an app disconnect.

chippie, I'd welcome reading your assessment when yours arrives.

Have a Pixel XL ordered (mostly for the 4k camera to use with Osmo Mobile) and may just keep using my Note 4 for flying, since it works fine and I can strip it out and dedicate it only for that and keep it in flight mode.

Interestingly the carrier is throwing in the Google Daydream View budget VR goggles free. Wonder if they'd work with Litchi for the Mavic.

More research!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using MavicPilots mobile app

chippie, I'd welcome reading your assessment when yours arrives.

Here is what I posted on RCGroups with a few amendments (after the fact discoveries). I have left quite a lot in so people can see my initial impressions and the after thoughts as I discovered a few things. The CONS are lengthier but contain explanations and discoveries I made after, so don't be put off in the slightest! Sorry, its probably too long and boring lol

Just received the PGY-Tech Tablet holder and a couple of SunShades.

PGYTECH DJI MAVIC TABLET HOLDER

PGYTECH DJI Mavic Pro Accessoriess 7 10 Pad Mobile Phone Holder aluminum Flat Bracket tablte stander Parts RC drones quadcopter-in Parts & Accessories from Toys & Hobbies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

PROS:
1. Very well made and finished, the base and arm being aluminum and the actual holder plastic.
2. Folds up nice and compact for transport.
3. The ball joint is extremely solid and nothing at all moved once tightened.
4. Can take a iPad Mini up to much larger tablets and holds them extremely securely.
5. Pretty light.

CONS:
1. The way the arm unfolds has a slight flaw, simply because if you tilt your controller forward the whole tablet can move forward on the arm until it hits the controller. You are able to undo two little screws and tension this movement up but by it may loosen up over time so the procedure will have to be repeated. I am going to try to add different washers in the pivot to hopefully make it perfect. I did not realize this before opening it up and this was initially my biggest flaw with the holder, now that I know it can be tightened it is really not an issue at all.
2. It is too large to hold a tablet like the the Nexus 7, it does hold it, barely, but it is a little too lose for my liking (larger tablets hold very securely)
3. The base plate that fits in the controller could be a little wider and thicker to push the controller arms out a little bit more, it just does not feel secure enough to me with a tablet on it however as this is the only one I have it may be the same with others. Not s show stopper though. Perhaps the addition of little tabs that fit into the slots that go through the controllers arms would really help here preventing any movement at all this would ruin the aesthetics of the holder (possibly why PGY did not do this) Also, since discovering that you can tension the arm movement it does not really move now, previously the lateral movement of the whole tablet was causing the base to move a little, not really happening now.
4. I do not feel the arm is long enough! However you try to position it the tablet. ends up resting on your hands or wrists, and I do not have huge hands, if you do I doubt you will even get your hands between the tablet and controller. Maybe some prefer the tablet to rest on their hands but it just feels odd to me. After playing a little more with this, it is actually not as bad as I first though and with being able to adjust the tension on the pivoting arm (I did not realize this before and the arm just flopped about all over the place, not the case now) you can position it a little better and even having it resting on your hands/arms is not as bad as I first thought after trying it a few more times.
5. Despite larger tablets being held very securely between the jaws there is a little bit of wobble which does not feel great. Hard to explain. Again with this one, tightening the tension on the arm seems to have helped here but I do find that the little aluminium ball can loosen up over time, a little bit of thread lock on the screw here will sort that though.

Overall the things is very well made, I would like to see some way t be able to lock the pivoting arm into place to make it very secure but with being able to tighten the tension on the arm it is not that bad. Apart from that, perhaps if the arm was a little longer to lift the table higher would help a little as well as making the base plate a little wider and perhaps include tabs on each end which would fit into the slots on the controller to make it an extremely secure fit. Bottom line, for $20 you cant go wrong really, yes, you will have to tighten things up and perhaps use some thread lock but at the end of the day it does do the job. Think I just need to get used to it a little more.

PGYTECH DJI MAVIC SUNSHADE

PGYTECH monitor hood series for DJI mavic pro Phantom 4 pro RC monitor inspire M600 osmo products Sunshade Phone Sun fpv parts -in Parts & Accessories from Toys & Hobbies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

I grabbed 2 of these, the small for the iPhone 6s and the larger one for the 7Plus and Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge etc..

PROS:
1. Nicely finished.
2. Extremely compact when folded.
3. Tall enough when in place to block out quite a bit of light although only on 3 sides.
4. The seams look like they will last but only time can really tell here.

CONS:
1. The strips where the silicone loops attach are just glued to to the black covering.
2. Can be a little fiddly to get on but easy enough I guess.
3. Not convinced about the material used. I am pretty sure it is cardboard underneath the black covering by the way it feels and bends. Not good! Have to be careful not to bend it or it will crease. Not to mention what may happen if it gets wet
rolleyes.gif

These will be nice and easy to carry around and look smart. However I feel like I have been robbed tbh as I really think they are made out of cardboard, Ok they are only $9 but cardboard
smiley35.gif
lol

Would be interested to hear others views once they receive theirs.

I found a similar one in ebay and seems like a direct knock off from the pgytech version
PGY 7-10 Pad Mobile Phone Holder Aluminum Flat Bracket for DJI Mavic Pro Drone | eBay

Anyone tried this one yet? I wonder if there is any difference with the pgytech version apart from the branding

Sent from my LG-H990 using MavicPilots mobile app
It is very different to the PGY one, ok, it looks very similar once set-up but that is about it.

Take a look at the photos and the stem part. It looks like this one has a stem made up of 2 separate parts which then hinge together to make one. This alone will take away the biggest issue with the PGY where the stem would flop about back and forth even after tightening it up. The PGY one has a one piece stem which pivots around the whole base, this was a big design fault with it IMHO as even after tightening it up it would still loosen up over a short period of time and the tablet would flop back an forth. Not to mention that I think both of these are a little too short and the tablet ends up resting on your hands, some might like this, I found it very annoying unfortunately.

Reactions: ditography
It is very different to the PGY one, ok, it looks very similar once set-up but that is about it.

Take a look at the photos and the stem part. It looks like this one has a stem made up of 2 separate parts which then hinge together to make one. This alone will take away the biggest issue with the PGY where the stem would flop about back and forth even after tightening it up. The PGY one has a one piece stem which pivots around the whole base, this was a big design fault with it IMHO as even after tightening it up it would still loosen up over a short period of time and the tablet would flop back an forth. Not to mention that I think both of these are a little too short and the tablet ends up resting on your hands, some might like this, I found it very annoying unfortunately.

Thx for pointing it out chippie. Have you personally use this product? And would you recommend this one better than the pgytech?

Thx for pointing it out chippie. Have you personally use this product? And would you recommend this one better than the pgytech?
I have not used this one but I do have the PGY one. It is very nicely made and finished off it just suffers from the issues I mentioned. The stem is just a little too short and if you have large hands it will be uncomfortable to use, well I find it so with I would say medium to large hands. Also you can tighten the stem up (it flops back and forth pretty easily) but you have to remove 2 little screws then tighten it up with a flathead, not a convenient thing to do out in the field as it does loosen up over use. If you must go for one then I would recommend the one you posted as at least you will eliminate the flopping movement at the very least.

I have tried several holders now but there is really only one out there that has worked flawlessly for me and that is the MavMount. It is 3 x the price of the cheaper ones but it does the job properly, rock solid with lots of movement etc. If your budget can stretch to it then I personally think it is well worth the investment.

I bought this one. I actually bought the ipad holder, joystick protector, and the trackimo holder. The shipping was quick and they work amazingly well. I like buying from the community if possible. The finish isn't pro level, but I like it.

I'm in the market on getting a tablet holder, which feels endless. I figure that I will ask my question on this thread instead of starting a new one. My question is: Once I get the holder what are the correct cables that I will need to buy to hook it up to the controller, both for Ipad and Android device? Link to the product on Amazon or Ebay or whatever would be great. Last thing I want to do is purchase the wrong cable.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143