DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone turning all their Obstacle Avoidance off?

Zandian

Reactions
Ok, I've had my Mavic since October and I've got a fair amount of time in with it. I'm really considering turning off my obstacle avoidance. It just seems to get in the way more than help me.

There are a number of times I've been trying shots like flying low to the ground to show a sense of speed, then rise up and above something. Or I'm within good line of sight and I'm trying to skim through some trees. Often the OA halts my progress or throws up warnings that occlude my view when I need to be pretty precise. I've also had it mess with me by going off because of the sun.

I feel pretty confident with manual flight now, I know it may be my famous last words, but do a number of you also "fly without protection"?

Zandian

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: Wersh
I never, ever use protection, but I'm fairly abstinent at this age and with my divorce history. :)

I've had mine off since I received it. I don't take too many chances and preplan a lot of my flights. So, it hasn't really ever done much for me except been a novelty to show friends.

Sure, drones did quite well before it came along. Makes you a better pilot. Fortunately we still have the option, so turn it off if you want. Once downward vision is off, on landing, it'll come all the way down to the ground fast, so be aware.

Reactions: Philk and Star Lord
I never use OA either .

I leave mine off most of the time but if I'l flying low among obstacles I'll turn it on, or if I'm letting someone else pilot.

I don't fly around obstacles so it's off in my case. I would try it if I was going to be in a more threatening area though.

I am considering turning it off, because the low angle of the sun seems to trigger it all the **** time

There's not a lot you can do about. I'm guessing that could be the difference in high quality, and low dollar sensors?

It's great that the option is there, especially if you have signal loss in an obstacle laden area. I turn the bottom sensors off when flying over water.

I am considering switching off also. I often get false warnings and I've never had an actual collision avoidance because I generally don't fly very close to obstacles anyway. I'm quite confident as having good stick time in sport mode helps too.

I like flying with the sensors off since it disables most of the automation and allows me to pilot the aircraft.

Yes, The sun is my problem also.... It just keeps going off !!! :mad:

QUESTION to folks that own a Phantom..... Is the Obstacle Avoidance in combination with the sun happen on the only Mavic, Or does it happen with the Phantoms also?

I am considering turning it off, because the low angle of the sun seems to trigger it all the **** time

Ok, I've had my Mavic since October and I've got a fair amount of time in with it. I'm really considering turning off my obstacle avoidance. It just seems to get in the way more than help me.

There are a number of times I've been trying shots like flying low to the ground to show a sense of speed, then rise up and above something. Or I'm within good line of sight and I'm trying to skim through some trees. Often the OA halts my progress or throws up warnings that occlude my view when I need to be pretty precise. I've also had it mess with me by going off because of the sun.

I feel pretty confident with manual flight now, I know it may be my famous last words, but do a number of you also "fly without protection"?

Zandian

or are you just pissed off because it interrupted your flight to avoid a collision ?

When me and a friend make footage indoor,we always turn OA off,because the sensors have A wide working angle And give constant alerts

I always have OA off. The reduction in speed and the low-sun false-positive problem did it for me. Nearly all my flights go out over a small lake so I tend to have the bottom sensors off too.
That said, I'd turn them back on if I were in a situation that I thought they'd be useful.

I keep it off because most my flights are around dusk and the dang sun keeps causing it to think something is in front of it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143