DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Apologies to NickMV - Mavic ABSOLUTELY 100% Visible at 1640ft!!

hookalakupua

Reactions
Although I wasn't actively participating in the discussion, I was in complete agreement that there was no way the MP could be spotted at a height of 1640ft. I got a big chuckle out of the claim as well as some of the following posts. There were definitely some strong opinions against his claim, along with some statements claiming the science behind the impossibility and I was in complete agreement.

Well I'm here not to say that we were all absolutely wrong! I finally had an opportunity to test the claim and not only is it possible, but I'm certain I could have seen it at an even greater height. It was approximately 7:15pm and the drone was to the southwest of the sun which was probably just over an hour away from setting. There sky was clear with just a handful of clouds in the area. Zero haze and a clear line of sight above me to the MP.

I started at about 500ft and could see it without any difficulty. As I continued to climb, I had my son read out the height to me. At about 1100ft it was definitely a spec in the sky but I was easily able to look away and then reacquire it. At 1400ft it was still easy to see and I started to think it might just be possible. I could look away still and find it again but it was a little harder. The MP maintained its positioning so if I tilted my head back to the same place and used a cloud for reference, I could find it. At 1640 I heard the audible hight restriction warning and the MP was still clear as could be! No I couldn't make out the legs or any detail but the MP was without a doubt still visible!!! I looked away and just as I went to find it again, a slow passing cloud went above it and the MP literally jumped into view.

I'm 45 years old, had my eyes tested for farsightedness for the first time on Wednesday and have 20/20 vision at distance but an issue with things closer than 10 inches or so. I don't know the science behind what the eye is capable of but I'll do some research as prior claims are incorrect.

I've no problem admitting when I'm wrong and I was 100% wrong in this case. Nick, I owe you an apology and a beer if you're ever out this way. The Mavic Pro CAN be seen at 1640ft!!!!

I've had it before once or twice. It tastes like Frog Legs.

Which tastes like Chicken. :D
Best part of these forums is that most of us don't take any of this too seriously! Now if I can just get some of you to join me over in some of the Bang-Bang Forums. Wait a second... I think I've got my next MP topic.

Weaponized Mavic Pros!!!!! hahahaha

Best part of these forums is that most of us don't take any of this too seriously! Now if I can just get some of you to join me over in some of the Bang-Bang Forums. Wait a second... I think I've got my next MP topic.

Weaponized Mavic Pros!!!!! hahahaha
The mavic is great, but my "bang bangs" are way more important to me. I can only guess how those forums turn. There is no DJI monopoly in firearms[emoji6]

Reactions: hookalakupua
The mavic is great, but my "bang bangs" are way more important to me. I can only guess how those forums turn. There is no DJI monopoly in firearms[emoji6]
Funny you say that as I've been debating whether the MP actually brings me more joy! I can't believe it's even close but it is. I've got some pretty fun ones as well! ;)

What do you think a Glock wrap would look like on the Mavic? lol

I like Glock and have some. Not my favorite though. Just find it ironic when people compare the two and even more ironic when a drone enthusiast tries to compare. Amazing how narrow minded people in general can be. But again, make me choose, I want my guns. But I also get the laws and abide. That's where drone guys need to gall in.

I like Glock and have some. Not my favorite though. Just find it ironic when people compare the two and even more ironic when a drone enthusiast tries to compare. Amazing how narrow minded people in general can be. But again, make me choose, I want my guns. But I also get the laws and abide. That's where drone guys need to gall in.
Completely agree! In all honesty, wouldn't trade mine for anything! Actually had to reach out to our homeowners association about drone concerns in the area and the discussion somehow moved to firearms as well. Oh well.

The science was about resolution. Which means in eye chart parlance, you would indeed be able to tell that the Mavic is an X. What you and I see when we are looking at your tested distance is a lot less identifiable as a discreet shape and is just a dark spot in a light sky. I was able to see my Mavic even seeing the arms at 1680 feet out and 300 feet up. A straight line distance of about 1700 feet. It was late afternoon with the sun behind my back, the Arizona sky crystal clear. And my eyes suck at 74 years old. Crazy part is with no wind, no background noise and no real sound absorbing materials in between just desert sand, I could just barely hear the Mavic too. Especially if I made it move not just hover. I think some of that has to do with being a hunter at a very young age. When in the woods your brain learns to isolate odd sounds not those that are usually pretty constant in the forest. You can hear deer walking for example. And those suckers are very quiet.

The science was about resolution. Which means in eye chart parlance, you would indeed be able to tell that the Mavic is an X. What you and I see when we are looking at your tested distance is a lot less identifiable as a discreet shape and is just a dark spot in a light sky. I was able to see my Mavic even seeing the arms at 1680 feet out and 300 feet up. A straight line distance of about 1700 feet. It was late afternoon with the sun behind my back, the Arizona sky crystal clear. And my eyes suck at 74 years old. Crazy part is with no wind, no background noise and no real sound absorbing materials in between just desert sand, I could just barely hear the Mavic too. Especially if I made it move not just hover. I think some of that has to do with being a hunter at a very young age. When in the woods your brain learns to isolate odd sounds not those that are usually pretty constant in the forest. You can hear deer walking for example. And those suckers are very quiet.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka