DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

App from DJI leaks a second Mavic model

The Mavic pro can be purchased with or without the controller. This doesn't change its' name! It only means that without the controller you would have to switch to WIFI to be able to operate it with your phone. I doubt DJI are going to offer a downgraded version over and above not supplying the controller. Perhaps with the second iteration of the Mavic "Mk2" in a year or so, there may well be more options. It doesn't make sense to downgrade this current model retrospectively.

or FPV racer to sell more DJI goggles, possible, you never know

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

That is an interesting thought and is probably a large enough market that DJI would be interested in gaining a toehold. If they do make such a FPV racer then a gimbal probably doesn't make sense and perhaps only a fixed forward facing camera would be desired for weight reasons. OTH, I think the Mavic is still probably a bit large/heavy for a true racer and for that application a dedicated model would be needed. I think the various 'moment of inertia's' are just too large for the Mavic to be competitive as a FPV racer.

Brian

It's got to be the 1080p version then for Mavic Standard. It just makes sense to those who don't need 4k. $749 with a controller and $549 without one will be hard to beat.

It will definitely have silver stripes on the front arms.
I am guessing it will be the P3advanced equivalent. Camera will be HD 2.7K @ 30fps with either Occusync or Lightbridge 1.5, 720p stream and NO WIFI.
I think the pricing point will be a $100-$200 cheaper.

Reactions: Fplvert
The Mavic pro can be purchased with or without the controller. This doesn't change its' name! It only means that without the controller you would have to switch to WIFI to be able to operate it with your phone. I doubt DJI are going to offer a downgraded version over and above not supplying the controller. Perhaps with the second iteration of the Mavic "Mk2" in a year or so, there may well be more options. It doesn't make sense to downgrade this current model retrospectively.

I thought that initially as well but it does not explain the different FCC labels. What I don't know if the "M1S" will have features disabled, parts removed, or perhaps just the word "Pro" missing from it's arm and software. There's a lot of questions that only time has the answer to, but speculating is always fun.

Attachments

• IMG_5567.PNG
    IMG_5567.PNG
    156 KB · Views: 48
Reactions: Mavilicious
I seriously doubt the Phantom line will be abandoned by DJI. The Mavic will be a fantastic drone for most people and will become the favorite of travel vloggers and aspiring amateur film makers and hobbyists, but there will still be a demand for the more robust Phantom. Firstly, there's payload - due to the Mavic's small size, weight, and battery capacity, there's a limit to the gimbal and camera that they can install on it. I see DJI releasing a P4 Pro or perhaps a P5 with the Zenmuse Z3 22-77 zoom lens installed, and maybe even an improved gimbal. No way a Mavic can carry such a setup. Secondly, a Mavic is unlikely to survive even a small crash without significant damage, meanwhile I've seen Phantom 3's and 4's have some spectacular crashes and still able to fly again after replacing nothing more than a few broken props. There will be always be a need for workhorse drones like the Phantom.

That said, I fully intend to make the ultra-portable Mavic my own workhorse drone... until I crash it and have to buy a new one :)

Reactions: Mavilicious
I thought that initially as well but it does not explain the different FCC labels. What I don't know if the "M1S" will have features disabled, parts removed, or perhaps just the word "Pro" missing from it's arm and software. There's a lot of questions that only time has the answer to, but speculating is always fun.

I could well be wrong, but could one of the two different FCC labels be an early preliminary prototype version, that later on in development needed an upgraded certificate? I can understand offering different versions of the same basic product, but generally changes in model type are upgrades, not downgrades, I find it hard to imagine that a strategy to downgrade an existing model will work, whereas an upgrade to an already released model would generate more sales. Is this not what happened with the P3? You couldn't buy the Phantom 3 pro/advanced before the standard version was released could you?

I find it hard to imagine that a strategy to downgrade an existing model will work
DJI did this with the Phantom 3 line. There wasn't as much interest in the P34K, but the P3S is a big hit.

DJI did this with the Phantom 3 line. There wasn't as much interest in the P34K, but the P3S is a big hit.

I am wrong then. Just surprised the 4k camera was fitted as standard fit to the first release of the P3, then later offered with a down graded version.

Last edited:
I seriously doubt the Phantom line will be abandoned by DJI. The Mavic will be a fantastic drone for most people and will become the favorite of travel vloggers and aspiring amateur film makers and hobbyists, but there will still be a demand for the more robust Phantom. Firstly, there's payload - due to the Mavic's small size, weight, and battery capacity, there's a limit to the gimbal and camera that they can install on it. I see DJI releasing a P4 Pro or perhaps a P5 with the Zenmuse Z3 22-77 zoom lens installed, and maybe even an improved gimbal. No way a Mavic can carry such a setup. Secondly, a Mavic is unlikely to survive even a small crash without significant damage, meanwhile I've seen Phantom 3's and 4's have some spectacular crashes and still able to fly again after replacing nothing more than a few broken props. There will be always be a need for workhorse drones like the Phantom.

That said, I fully intend to make the ultra-portable Mavic my own workhorse drone... until I crash it and have to buy a new one :)

As a current Phantom 4 owner and soon to be Mavic Pro owner I see a use for both drones. I don't think I'll abandon my Phantom 4 over my Mavic Pro. but seeing as I haven't flown my Mavic yet I'm not too sure. One thing I do know is I already have the money put away for a Phantom 5. But if they do abandon the Phantom line It'll be a very sad day for me

Yes total speculation but the version without RC. They very well could change camera and even other things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can't stand it when ppl spout off about things that they have no factual knowledge about.

Reactions: Lees23
Personally, I dont see any gain to Dji to continue with Phantom line.

Also, Phantom is a very importante name to DJI

In fact, i dont really know....

I'm speculating that they will call the wifi only version the Mavic. The Pro version will likely include the controller. Personally I don't see a future for the Phantom. Their work will go into the Mavic 2 and next models of the Inspire line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have you seen the new prices announced by DJI? Inspire: $1999, Phantom 4P: $1199. I wonder how much the Mavic is cutting into their sales of the other products? I see they are saying now that shipping for the Mavic is, "Within December on a first come first served basis."

Support for the Mavic has been in IOS for awhile and just included in the latest release for Android. What we (at least I) didn't know was the availability of the 32 Channel hack, which would be awesome news if true.

the 32 channel hack isn't even really a hack and was something you could do with the p4 also...the bad thing is that when u do it you have to manually switch to one of those extra channels and it will stay on that channel and will not search for the best one like it does on default...it can work but as far as i've seen it doesnt find the best channel when you do that and u have to switch the channel searching into manual mode...it works but i think i trust the default channels more...unless this is different than how it worked on the p4...if it's the same you need to constantly be looking at the channel your on to make sure it's not to busy and switch to another...seems like more work than u rlly need to do

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

the 32 channel hack isn't even really a hack and was something you could do with the p4 also...the bad thing is that when u do it you have to manually switch to one of those extra channels and it will stay on that channel and will not search for the best one like it does on default...it can work but as far as i've seen it doesnt find the best channel when you do that and u have to switch the channel searching into manual mode...it works but i think i trust the default channels more...unless this is different than how it worked on the p4...if it's the same you need to constantly be looking at the channel your on to make sure it's not to busy and switch to another...seems like more work than u rlly need to do

It worked well for me. I flew in an area that had intermittent high power transmissions on 2 of the channels. It seemed the quad would invariably land on one of them. And anything is a hack that allows the system to do something other than what it was originally programmed for.

It worked well for me. I flew in an area that had intermittent high power transmissions on 2 of the channels. It seemed the quad would invariably land on one of them. And anything is a hack that allows the system to do something other than what it was originally programmed for.

i would go more for calling it a modification...it does work but as far as the p4 i know you had to switch manually and it didn't auto search for the best channel

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143