DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Apple's Mini 4 or Samsung S2 Tablets

andrew reeves

Reactions
Okay, everyone knows the problem that I've had with going forward or in some cases backward choosing between Apple or Samsung tablets. Now the answer: I've used Apple's Mini 2 and never had a problem, didn't like the screen resolution though. Tried the Samsung S2 Tab, as everyone knows and had multiple issues. Thanks again to all the help you folks offered. Both have a nice screen, fast proc, but.
Searched for refurbished units because Apple sells them with a one year warranty. Then, I thought about Walmart they sell Apple refurbished with an added $64 -2 year any accident, cracked screen and tech help. see the link below and for $42 difference instead of a Mini 4 with16gb, you can get the Mini 4 with128 gb compare that to Samsung S2 32gb for approximately $235 hey it's a no-brainer. But if you want that Samsung and figured it out, go for it. Me I like as little of a problem as possible especially with our MP.
Https://walmart.com/ip/51989141 128gb

https://www.walmart.com/ip/FAST-TRACK-Apple-iPad-mini-4-16GB-Wi-Fi-Reburbished/51989145 16gb

Reactions: Trustinclark
I had the new Tab S2 (T-713NZ...) which does not connect with controller well. I took it back and got the IPAD Mini 4 wifi model. The ipad is rock solid, but is lacking the GPS receiver. If you can get the older Samsung Tab S2 (T-710...), then you will have no problems. The older 710 is reported to work great. Nice thing about the Samsung, it has a built in GPS reciever. The amoiled screen is also very nice for both brightness and color contrast.

I connection my Ipad Mini 4 to my mobile phone hotspot on some occasions, but that doesn't help with GPS issue. The device you use with the controller needs a GPS receiver if you want to use features like GPS follow mode or change your home location if you are moving. Hasn't been a big deal for me so far, but just something that is missing with the wifi only Ipad.

I always use my iphone, but I do hate to have to put it on airplane mode so I am getting a 7inch tablet from Huawei, gps and LTE chip, hope it works fine. Obviously I will not give the tablet chip number to know one, neither will use it for mail just for my Mavic.

Not to hijack this thread but I keep asking and have no response so far. Can anyone clarify if the mini 4 screen is noticeably brighter than the mini 2. I have a mini 2 and it's almost useless in any type of light. Thanks.

Reactions: Pat Foré
Not to hijack this thread but I keep asking and have no response so far. Can anyone clarify if the mini 4 screen is noticeably brighter than the mini 2. I have a mini 2 and it's almost useless in any type of light. Thanks.
Great question. I had the mini 2 also. Then tried the Samsung S2. Then saw Walmarts crazy refurbished apple deals. The mini 4 16 gb came in last night (in brand new cindition, BTW) and today I'm suppose to pick up the mini 4 128gb and return that 16gb one. What I saw from a side by side comparison of the 2 and the 4, by far 10 -15 % better sharper. As far as brightness outside, i'll get back to you. I'm sure youtube has something on it.

Andrew Reeves N5

I've got the mini 4 & the screens pretty useless in sunlight. You really need a sun shade or find a spot out of the sun. I normally fly early morning or late evening to avoid the problem with seeing the screen.

Having had both the 2 & 4...IMO opinion there brightness difference is NOT noticeable. With that said, the Mini 4 will function better better due to a faster processor.

Reactions: andrew reeves
I just got DJI's hood shield from them but haven't tried it out yet.
Buy Mavic - Remote Controller Monitor Hood was waiting for the following:
The mavic it's self.
The Apple Mini 4 128gb
The fracking time to fly.
The quality of their product is far better than the same priced item i got from another supplier for when I had my Pro 3.

Andrew Reeves N5

does anyone know of a sun shade/hood that will work work the mini4? that one DJI sells looks like it will work but only for use when you use a smaller device (5.5" or less)

You guys correct me if I'm wrong but if you pair your tablet through hotspot everything should work fine. Maps GPS excetera.

Andrew Reeves N5

Maps will load fine with a hotspot to the phone, but some features that rely on the tablet gps will not work.

Just the "follow me" mode and the ability to set a new home point won't work.

The iPads that are wifi only do not contain the gps chipset, and tethering to your phone will not provide that. The cellular models do have a gps chip, and do not have to be actually activated on a cellular network in order to function for those 2 modes.

The initial home point that is recorded comes from the Mavic itself when it takes off.

It shades the remote controller from what I have seen but I don't know if it also shades the mini while in the rc.

It only kind of works with the mini. I had the DJI hood and the mini shoved in the controller arms. Only way to get decent shade was to keep the antennas at 90* and hold the controller awkwardly.

Ended up going with a mavmount and a hoodman hood. I can stick my face in there on a super bright day and see everything just fine.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme