DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are you a footage hoarder?

CashCache

Reactions
I have to admit that I am a footage hoarder. After each flying session, I copy over all my footage to my portable drives so I can keep things safe for editing. I copy ALL of it even though I know some of it will never see the light of day.

I plan my shots ahead of time. I even write down shots I want to get before I start to fly so I don't forget. Sometimes it takes me 5 or 6 attempts before I get what I am looking for. You would think I would delete the footage that did not work, but no - I keep it "just in case". During the transfer from micro SD to my drive I hear my self saying things like "I'll get rid of the junk footage later", but later never comes. I have drives FULL of "B roll" that will never be worthy of the B!

Anyone else guilty of holding on to footage that should have never seen the light of day?

Reactions: wayy510
First flight was April 26th. I now have just shy 700GB's of video! Yes, I'm an idiot but I know I'll get to it all one of these days. haha

With storage so ridiculously cheap, there's really no reason for me not to keep it all.

Yes, I do this too, haha. I always say one day I am going to clear out all of the blurry photos and stuff, but I never do, whoops.

I do record most of the time even when just flying for fun with no intent of getting something good, because I might just on the spot happen to do something that looks good, and keep all files. But once in a while I go through them and trim only what I think I might use one day, where I'll trash maybe 80% of the original footage.

I have to admit that I am a footage hoarder. After each flying session, I copy over all my footage to my portable drives so I can keep things safe for editing. I copy ALL of it even though I know some of it will never see the light of day.

I plan my shots ahead of time. I even write down shots I want to get before I start to fly so I don't forget. Sometimes it takes me 5 or 6 attempts before I get what I am looking for. You would think I would delete the footage that did not work, but no - I keep it "just in case". During the transfer from micro SD to my drive I hear my self saying things like "I'll get rid of the junk footage later", but later never comes. I have drives FULL of "B roll" that will never be worthy of the B!

Anyone else guilty of holding on to footage that should have never seen the light of day?
Yes, data, MORE data, data becomes information, information turns to knowledge, knowledge is power. I record and save everything, why? Do not know but as others have said "just in case." Plus I like having stuff.

Yes I'm new so i don't know any better save it all
2TB extrn for $69 why wouldn't ya......c

First of all, i admit it, I am a hoarder. But i think there is a 2nd question that needs to be asked.

Do you post your footage anywhere?

Right now, I'm guilty of hoarding good footage and i'm also guilty of not sharing the good footage anywhere.

I don't feel bad about hoarding. I do feel bad about not sharing the footage.

2TB extrn for $69 why wouldn't ya......c
Proper storage that is fast, convenient and safe costs about $160/TB with my references. A 2TB external drive on its own is worthless if you value your data.
Cheap too in comparison, but it's the upgrade cost that hits and you start "fresh".

I use a RAID 5 NAS to store all my data, so I have redundancy under control. Storage is relatively cheap too, so it's easy to keep EVERYTHING. My issue is when I start editing. Since I scrub through all the footage to pick the "good stuff", I have to spend a lot of time looking at the "bad stuff". And even then, after skipping over something I know I won't use, I STILL leave it right were it is knowing the next time I come through this folder, I'll do the same thing all over again.

It's madness!

Some shots are pure garbage, like accidentally recording for a few seconds. Stuff like that I delete. I don't keep things like casual testing at local parks. But I do keep everything that could be B roll. I store everything on a 5TB drive right now. I store it as I can see one day wanting it for some reason. Most of what I store is from trips specifically to get footage. I may never be there again or might not be able to fly there again. Example... how cool would it be to have footage from inside of a US National Park.

Yes and no. Yes to the fact that almost all shots I get I organize into a folder system so that it is easy to find later. With MacOS you can also tag files, so I tag them with keywords so I can search if I need them later for a project.

No in regards to flights that are more just to test the aircraft or fly for fun. If I am flying around the neighborhood to test out new firmware or practicing my "smooth moves", I normally will not keep that footage. Part of the reason is those tests are done in my neighborhood so don't want to keep footage of people's back yards.

I do record every flight just in case something cool happens or in the case of a crash.

I am in the same boat, I have tons of footage of different flights but not enough to make a compilation. I opt for short Instagram clips then..

As a pro videographer, I have many drives filled with footage that dates back to '06, including stacks of DVDs used to archive my standard def footage back in the day. I RAR all shoots/projects to drives. When the drive gets full, I pull it, mark it and store it in a cabinet - then replace the drive and start again. My computer currently has just shy of 16TB of working drives installed, half of which are for nightly backups... That's - in addition to the archive drives. It's bloody addicting. And YES, I want more!

Reactions: MisterMavic
Hi my name is Chris and I am a video hoarder. It all began when I got my first video camera over 30 years ago and it has just snowballed from there. I have a closet full of VHS Tapes. I have a box full of VHS-C tapes (and don't have anything to play them on). I have stacks and stacks of DVDs with hours of unedited footage from various cameras. I have over 4Tb of Go Pro footage spread across three portable drives and now I am getting close to filling a 2Tb drive with footage from my Mavic and I have only had it 3 months!

I am guilty, I save every single frame. I even had my Mavic sitting on the desk while I was working on settings and took pictures of the wall and crap just playing around with the setup and kept those pictures. On and I won't even get on the subject of pictures that I have taken, that is a whole different group of files and boxes.

My addiction has caused me to go through two laptops and a desktop. I had to buy a bigger desktop recently so I could handle all the video editing software and within the last year I turned a bedroom into an editing studio just. I hate to admit it too but I am one that pays monthly for the whole Adobe CC package. The sad part about it is in three months I have only posted 1 video online that I shot with my Mavic.

I will try to do better. I have a lot of great footage, including a house fire I just shot this morning, that really needs to be shared with the world.

Reactions: CashCache
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143