Are you trying this?

Discussion in 'sUAV Rules & Regulations' started by Cookedinlh, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Cookedinlh

Cookedinlh Well-Known Member

This is just 4 of the hundreds of similar cases being reported since January. Hope you are part of the solution by warning others of the dangers being created by these guys . . of gals maybe? The threat is real and needs to stop. It may seem like a fun challenge when you think of doing it . . . but it really puts a lot of REAL lives in danger.

Take the high road and stay low!

2016O1372 2016-06-19 13:40 Day-time Incident 7NM S TORONTO / BILLY BISHOP TORONTO CITY AIRPORT ON (CYTZ) Ontario 2016-06-20 - An Air Canada Embraer ERJ 190-100 IGW (C-FNAN/ACA704) from Toronto, ON (CYYZ) to New York, NY (KLGA) was approximately 7 miles south of Toronto, ON (CYTZ), over Lake Ontario, and reported observing a drone at 14,000'. The police were advised and a marine unit is investigating.

2016O1329 2016-06-14 14:45 Day-time Incident KINGSTON ON (CYGK) Ontario 2016-06-14 - On departure from Runway 01, the pilot of a Dorval Aviation Cessna 172K from Kingston, ON (CYGK) to Montreal, QC (CYUL) reported a white drone at 1000 feet overhead the threshold of Runway 19. Operational impact, taxiing B190 decided to depart Runway 19 to avoid the drone.

2016O1172 2016-05-30 21:45 Day-time Incident TORONTO / LESTER B. PEARSON INTL ON (CYYZ) Ontario 2016-06-01 - A Sky Regional Airlines flight SKV7537 inbound to Toronto, ON (CYYZ) reported sighting a drone at 10000 feet, 4 nautical miles southwest of Toronto, ON (CYTZ).

2016O1135 2016-05-25 20:40 Day-time Incident 8NM S OTTAWA / MACDONALD-CARTIER INTL ON (CYOW) Ontario 2016-06-02 - A WestJet flight (WJA366) and an Air Canada flight (ACA458), arriving at Ottawa (CYOW), ON, saw a large drone near their flight paths. For WJA366, it was on the left side at the same altitude (6 700 ft). ACA458 was at 8 000 ft when it noticed the drone 1 NM to its left at 2 000 ft below ACA458?s altitude. The target headed to the southeast at 20-30 kt on primary radar and was lost at about 2055Z.

Romi likes this.
  2. Cookedinlh

#2 Cookedinlh, Nov 14, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  3. halley

halley Active Member

I have to wonder how many of these are true drone spotting, and if so, how many of these are governmental/military purposes.

Think you can spot a consumer drone at 1 nautical mile (1852 meters), 2000 feet (609 meters) below you, while traveling 140 kt (72 meters per second)?

Not discounting the danger that a consumer drone can present to other aviation, but some of the reports are surely misplaced when used to form policy.

Cookedinlh likes this.
  4. Guest

Guest Well-Known Member

Cookedinlh likes this.
  5. Cookedinlh

That's an excellent article and the link to the study is EXACTLY the real data I was looking for, about the reality of the REAL risk that drones pose today. I'm at the International UAV Conference in Toronto week after next,(6-7 Dec) . . and I going to print out ever chart from that study. . . and see how people respond.
    GREAT FIND . . . thanks!

6. Guest

Guest Well-Known Member

Cookedinlh likes this.
  7. Guest

Guest Well-Known Member

Cookedinlh likes this.
  8. Cookedinlh

ANOTHER great read Guest . . . will read again in detail, Thanks . . Interesting "Conversation" website I will have to look more into that one too. Here's my conversation about it.
    Let me know what you think about any of it.
    What is your interest in this topic besides being a Mavic fan?
    Cheers from the Great White North

9. Cookedinlh

You've just opened up a huge treasure trove of articles and studies on RISK analysis. The links in that last article are going to keep me busy for a while. Just in time for the Conference too. The only things I've been able to get my hands on so far was HYPED up news and Transport Canada/ FAA official data which is overly pessimistic about the risks. Thanks again for opening up that window. I was sure there must be lots of academic analysis on this but buried somewhere in acade
    Yes for sure . . I'm a rules guy too . . ex-military pilot . . . but I always want to know WHY the rule says XXXX when if you think about it rationally it could say YYYY
    You've just opened up a huge treasure trove of articles and studies on DRONE RISK analysis. The links in that last article are going to keep me busy for a while. Just in time for the Conference too. The only things I've been able to get my hands on so far was HYPED up news and Transport Canada/ FAA official data which is overly pessimistic about the risks . . and with no explanation as to WHY really.

Thanks again for opening up that window. I was sure there must be lots of academic analysis on this but buried somewhere in academia.