DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ask for permission first maybe?

MavicProUser

Reactions
So I decided today to ask the main local ATC for permission to fly just within the 5 mile limit tomorrow, because the boss is doing a 30 mile walk for charity and I wanted to film them for their efforts Difficult finding the tel no straight to the tower, but when I found it rang up,
"hold on I'll pass you onto someone", obviously I was talking to the main man, no problem, they have much more things to deal with than me.
Anyway, a polite lady came back and I explained that I would be about 50M away and 50M max height from a main road that was 4.5 miles away but I'm in your restricted air space, on hold 2 mins,
"how heavy is the drone",
"I can hold it in my hand", back on hold,
" you are not restricted by this etc,etc", " I know that, but I've seen several Police, air ambulance, RAF, sea rescue and I would like you to ring me when they are entering my location so I can down the drone for safety purposes", pause for a while, " can I have your name and phone number Sir", "11111111111111111"
"Thank you, Please let us know before you take off and when you land and we will inform you of any issues."
So guys, we all seem to get a blasting over flying,they don't seem to have a problem if you inform them. Any other experiences of this.

Uk... I agree, call them up, introduce your location and use.. no probs.

I live almost on top of Albany International Airport and they have never told me I couldn't fly.

The airspace around ATC's is actually Class D, therefore you are legal to fly up to 400ft. I call the ATC even if I'm 5nm (or more if I'm in line with the flight path for approach or takeoff)

Also worth calling 101 and getting an incident number to simply let the police know, they appreciate it. Give them a postcode and the time you plan to fly. Let them know also that you are contacting the nearby ATC too, it all adds up to a thumbs up.

Whatever you do, call the ATC instantly if you have a fly away.

Also, are you insured?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters