DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ATTI mode crash but happy end

Gregzo

Reactions
Just wanted to share my near catastrophic first flight for other rookies out there who may be tempted to try their Mavic indoors.

So, I come in late from work carrying that sweet new Mavic, sun is setting so I figure I'll take it for a short test flight indoors - I live in a refurbished barn and have flown quite a few smaller drones in there.

I prep, tell the kids to stand way back, and take off manually in ATTI mode. Immediately, the drone starts drifting to the right at a level 2.5 feet altitude and is completely unresponsive. I keep the throttle all the way down, try to counteract the drift, but in 2 seconds it flies into a shelf, one of the arm folds and it tumbles down.

Miraculously nothing was broken - the camera feed was dead but after a firmware update and a reboot all was fine again. Sadly no flight logs to show - perhaps the firmware update wiped the log?

Anyway, after some googling I notice quite a few threads about crashes in ATTI mode which seem to describe precisely the experience I had. I realize it was foolish to try my brand new Mavic indoors, but I'm used to flying with no assistance - I thought ATTI mode meant that I had 100% manual control of the drone, but apparently that's not necessarily the case.

The next day, I flew outside with excellent GPS reception and had a blast, no issues whatsoever.

Just sharing my rookie experience here, comments and tips welcome!

Just wanted to share my near catastrophic first flight for other rookies out there who may be tempted to try their Mavic indoors.

So, I come in late from work carrying that sweet new Mavic, sun is setting so I figure I'll take it for a short test flight indoors - I live in a refurbished barn and have flown quite a few smaller drones in there.

I prep, tell the kids to stand way back, and take off manually in ATTI mode. Immediately, the drone starts drifting to the right at a level 2.5 feet altitude and is completely unresponsive. I keep the throttle all the way down, try to counteract the drift, but in 2 seconds it flies into a shelf, one of the arm folds and it tumbles down.

Miraculously nothing was broken - the camera feed was dead but after a firmware update and a reboot all was fine again. Sadly no flight logs to show - perhaps the firmware update wiped the log?

Anyway, after some googling I notice quite a few threads about crashes in ATTI mode which seem to describe precisely the experience I had. I realize it was foolish to try my brand new Mavic indoors, but I'm used to flying with no assistance - I thought ATTI mode meant that I had 100% manual control of the drone, but apparently that's not necessarily the case.

The next day, I flew outside with excellent GPS reception and had a blast, no issues whatsoever.

Just sharing my rookie experience here, comments and tips welcome!

I cringe when I fly indoor and avoid it now completely.

My personal checklist is to not even start the motors until the GPS has locked.

(That said, my own embarrassing crash was in Sport mode while landing).

Unless you are in a warehouse I consider the mavic to big to fly indoors. Some will disagree but the way I see it, I paid good money for it, i'm not risking hitting the walls or anything else in the house. You want a good flier that's cheap and can take a beating I recommend the JJRC H36, people even convert them into mini FPV race drones. Amazon.com: JJRC H36 Mini 2.4G 4CH 6Axis Gyro Headless Mode Remote Control RC Quadcopter RTF One-key Return-Black: Toys & Games Sure there are more expensive indoor drones like the Parrot Mambo that has sonar sensors on the bottom but for good cheap fun I fly the JJRC H36

Thanks for the tips guys, much appreciated. Just did my second outdoor flight a few minutes ago, wow! Beginning to trust the bugger, who gave me the most beautiful sunset view...

Is it safe to fly at night? I'm talking just a straight up flight path, climb to 100m and enjoy the view. I was already in low light conditions today, didn't cause any problems aside from the low light warning.

I did the same thing than you and did my first flight indoors ... At first the Mavic was very stable then it started to drift erratically ending in a wall and denting 2 propellers. I updated softwares
and changed propellers and retried flying (I live in a big city with nowhere close to fly it outdoors). The second flight ended in a crash against another wall breaking the transparent protection of the gimbal. There was no way I could control it.
The Mavic still can be started but I have no more video and the gimbal does not move. In the past I flown my phantom 3 and phantom 4 indoors without any problem. I emailed DJI, received
an automatic response 1 week ago and nothing since ...
I might open the Mavic to see if no connector has popped out.

So if you have just received your new Mavic: BEWARE OF FLYING INDOORS even if you know how to handle a drone.

Anyone had no more video signal and a dead gimble and managed to fix it ?

Hey @lakepowell sorry to hear that - it's a bit of a shame that there's no 'zero' assist mode where we know for sure that we have full control over the aircraft. It's what ATTI mode sounded like to me, so either that mode is buggy, or there's something I don't get, like obstacle avoidance kickin in in smaller spaces.

Hopefully DJI can address this issue in a future update. In the meantime, I'm still too hyped about flying outdoors to be bummed. Glimpse inside, Mavic outside for me...

Just fresh from my first and hopefully last crash. Thankfully happy ending cause of the sturdy built of Mavic Pro. I went below my apartment to check the camera at night. Since there were obstacles I switched off gps and obstacles avoidance and was flying on atti mode. Once it went into the dark the mavic starting drifting to right and eventually crash to the wall. Thankfully everything was intact including the blades. After this crash I realised atti mode needs light, so indoor where there is light there will be no problem which I tried inside my room, but moment light goes off, it's a goner. So people at night always always always use gps when flying where there is lack of light

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamoke