DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Atti Mode

Jerry

Reactions
So, a friend says I should learn to fly in Atti mode so I can be proficient and safe etc etc .. but I don't see how to fly in this mode, .. any help appreciated ..

You cannot manually switch to ATTI mode when flying a Mavic. It is possible to do when flying Phantoms though.

Syma and some other drone makers offer cheap toy drones whose most automated mode is either ATTI-equivalent or doesn't even have the luxury of automatically maintaining altitude, so... heck, you can even see cheap-o drones in some Walgreens, where I live. If you want, get one of those, practice flying it with all the no assistance it offers besides keeping itself level, and you'll be set for what ATTI mode is like.

Worked like a charm for me with a Syma X5C- aside form the Mavic being much stronger and faster, ATTI mode's pretty natural to fly if it comes to that.

Your friend is giving good advice. Although the Mavic cannot be manually switched into ATTI mode if the aircraft loses GPS lock it'll switch to ATTI mode on it's own. That's when having ATTI mode skills can save you from a crash if you know how it behaves.

What should I expect when I cover that up and it goes into atti mode ?
Outdoor: it'll keep its height and will drift with the wind, so you must respond quickly to the sticks if the area has trees or buildings to avoid collisions. If there is no wind, nothing happens.

Indoor: in low light conditions you could get in trouble because the VPS will not work, but if there is enough light the VPS could keep in place while hovering. Be careful with its own wind gusts when hovering too low, it could drift side to side or backwards, where is no obstacle avoidance sensors.

I am an experienced RC helicopter flyer but Mavic's ATTI mode is simply terrible. The control authority is too low and if you are under strong wind it will drift away and you will not be able to stop it even at full stick throw. You will then have to quickly change to SPORT mode to save yourself. Make sure your Mavic allows you to enter SPORT mode. This mode is turned off by default.

I am an experienced RC helicopter flyer but Mavic's ATTI mode is simply terrible. The control authority is too low and if you are under strong wind it will drift away and you will not be able to stop it even at full stick throw. You will then have to quickly change to SPORT mode to save yourself. Make sure your Mavic allows you to enter SPORT mode. This mode is turned off by default.
Totally agree. Stop suggesting to practice with lesser drones. I've flown many toys drones and am an excellent pilot with no gps. I'm telling u atti mode is a guaranteed crash.******* stupid!

It's not hatred I love the Mavic just pissed at pointless crash. And trying to warn others about atti mode.....
Well, I disagree with you on this very strongly, and think your advice is more likely to produce a crash than learning how to operate competently in ATTI mode.

There's nothing inherently unsafe about ATTI mode, rather, the risk is directly tied to the conditions. If you are deliberately trying to invoke ATTI and practice, you can control the conditions: Light breeze, huge open field, bright sunny day. Don't let it get too far away, if you get overloaded or in trouble, land where you are (ginormous field, remember?).

The point is to get skilled enough that the stick movements and thought process to effectively control the aircraft become automatic. This is critical.

Why? Because of the other context you may need to fly ATTI: Suddenly, with no warning, in a very poor, challenging situation. Probably when you're not within VLOS, probably when landing where you are is not an option at all.

That's the worst time to be trying to figure out how to control the aircraft. You need to figure out orientation, and then book it on back to where you are. And hope it get GPS lock again.

Adhesive copper foil works really well and can be used over and over and over again.

I guess you don't understand, so I'll repeat myself. I've flown many lesser drones, none of which had the gps or station-keeping abilities of the mavic. I've flown up stairwells, backwards thru tight spaces, flying at myself from the opposite direction. I know how to fly a drone very well. You and others keep lecturing on ' learning how to fly without gps'. I know how, I guess you don't. I'm not the only person on this forum that has reported that in atti mode, the mavic doesn't respond to commands, and has wild behavior. I've shared this here so other mavic owners dont suffer needless crashes. Admit that the mavic is weak in this regard, so we all can figure out a common solution, or at least avoid this inherent problem. My advice is to NEVER take off until you're in gps mode and the mavic sees many satellites. You want to fly in atti mode? Go ahead - send us all the crash log

Okay, you want to chat this way, I'm game...
I guess you don't understand, so I'll repeat myself.
So you think repeating yourself results in greater understanding. You probably also think yelling English at foreigners helps them understand it better.

A picture of your personality is beginning to clarify. Let's see what else we can learn...
I've flown many lesser drones, none of which had the gps or station-keeping abilities of the mavic. I've flown up stairwells, backwards thru tight spaces, flying at myself from the opposite direction. I know how to fly a drone very well.
Ahhh, here we have the classic and ubiquitous, "internet male-member-comparison-metaphor" -- already!

I suppose I'm to be all impressed, look humbly down, and receive oracular wisdom from on high from you?

Try again. I'm not impressed at all, given my own credentials and experience that I will say no more about as it's irrelevant.
You and others keep lecturing on ' learning how to fly without gps'. I know how, I guess you don't.
Percival, if you thought that was a lecture, I'm starting to wonder about your sanity.

As for my ability to fly sans GPS, if you'd really like to play a guessing game, I'm in! Say the word!
I'm not the only person on this forum that has reported that in atti mode, the mavic doesn't respond to commands, and has wild behavior
I'm not surprised your not the only incompetent pilot. If you and the two other noobs that can't control a Mavic in ATTI mode would like some instruction, I'm sure the forum can arrange something.
I've shared this here so other mavic owners dont suffer needless crashes. Admit that the mavic is weak in this regard, so we all can figure out a common solution, or at least avoid this inherent problem.
Hmmm... I've flown both my P4 (via selector) and my Mavic (via copper foil) in ATTI mode many times. The both fly just about the same, and are quite controllable. In fact, both fly very much like my Hubsan 501S when GPS is switched off too.

Other guy can't control his Mavic in ATTI mode. It goes wild, according to him, mind of its own.

Conclusion: Other guy is an incompetent pilot. General advice to all: Stay at least 10 miles away from this fellow whenever he's flying. Warning posters should be posted in the post office.
My advice is to NEVER take off until you're in gps mode and the mavic sees many satellites. You want to fly in atti mode? Go ahead - send us all the crash log
I will if I ever have one in ATTI mode.

================================

Now, if you'd like to have a civil, adult discussion I'm interested in hearing your experiences, and maybe learning from them.

However, if you can't engage in a manner demonstrating rhetoric and civility no older than a 12 year old, please be my guest and have the last, juvenile word. I've had my fun.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett