DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ATTI

alexjayryan

Reactions
Seems pretty silly that you can't manually select ATTI mode.

Just say I am flying from outside to inside, or out in the open to under a concrete structure that effects GPS connection, it would be sensible to be flying in ATTI mode the whole time.

Why would DJI do this. Seems unsafe and just plain stupid.

Reactions: hychewright
Seems pretty silly that you can't manually select ATTI mode.

Just say I am flying from outside to inside, or out in the open to under a concrete structure that effects GPS connection, it would be sensible to be flying in ATTI mode the whole time.

Why would DJI do this. Seems unsafe and just plain stupid.
I agree as well......

As would many of us. Truly considering getting a P4 at some point just for the fun and convenience of ATTI on demand. I learned to fly on a Syma. Anybody who learns to really fly, and hover steady in a breeze, with a cheap practice quad like that can use ATTI and still love how easy it is.

Yes it should be switchable on demand .

Novice question here: what is the difference between GPS mode and ATTI mode? All help appreciated.

GPS uses GPS satellites to lock the drones position so when you take your fingers of the sticks it'll hold its position. ATTI doesn't require GPS, but does not hold its position, so if you take your fingers off the sticks it will keep going in the direction that it has momentum and drift with the wind. However the mavic also has optical positioning, so it uses optical sensors to hold its position in ATTI mode (I think). Not quite sure about this because I can't manually select ATTI, so don't really know how it behaves.
The thing is that sometimes GPS is not reliable and the drone will behave differently when in ATTI or GPS. I'd rather be able to manually select the flight mode so I can be sure how the drone will behave through the whole flight.

I just got my Mavic last week and was a bit disappointed it would not allow a user switchable ATTI mode. I would often use my original Phantom in this mode because it produces smoother flying and shots. The Mavic is a HUGE improvement from the original Phantom but if your going to stick the PRO label on it let pilots go into ATTI or even Manual mode, with warnings if necessary, to fly how they want. Full GPS mode still has a bit of that sticky feeling that I never liked in certain situations.

2 small pcs. of Reynolds wrap around the top backside (make sure you don't cover the vent at the rear, as this allows the warm/hot "used" air from being vented out the back), and you will be "locked" into ATTI mode. Just remember, you still need the airflow from the front thru the craft, and then out the rear.

Reactions: TSargeant
So putting aluminum wrap
Over the rear of Mavic will enable Atti mode?
Can you also cover up the GPS entirely?

Can you also cover up the GPS entirely?
That's the idea. If you totally block the GPS signal, it'll auto switch to ATTI mode.

That's the idea. If you totally block the GPS signal, it'll auto switch to ATTI mode.
Ok thanks. So if I want to fly indoors whether there are windows or not, I should wrap it in foil just to prevent GPS from kicking in?

I don't ever fly indoors. If I did though, I think I would try to disable GPS.

I agree that I miss atti mode on the mavic, every so often I fly my phantom in atti mode just to keep my actual flying skills up to par, it's akin to a pilot manually flying a plane to not lose his skill.

But it's not necessary on a mavic to get smooth shots, the cinematic mode will allow for extended stopping to produce the same effect.

Just read in another thread in Mavic Discussions- Opti mode, balcony launch, unexpected behavior

"Height in OPTI mode is restricted to 5m and 30m in ATTI mode".
The Mavic will descend to that height if it unexpectedly found itself above that height.

For example:
High up in a skyscraper, taking off indoors with no GPS lock, then departing to the outside by going out a window or off a covered balcony-
Until the Mavic gets a GPS lock, it will start descending to it's maximum altitude in OPTI or ATTI mode, (5m or 30m), depending if VPS is turned on or off.

Launching off of a high balcony without a GPS lock, if the Mavic, upon seeing the ground suddenly much lower, can descend (uncontrollable from the RC),
until it reaches it's maximum altitude from the new ground level, or until it gets a GPS lock.

While this is not well-documented in the Manual, my guess is that DJI has it set up that way (along with no manual choice of ATTI Mode),
to prevent operators from flying drones with no GPS lock (or the GPS signal masked) in a NFZ, or at least limiting their flying there to a very low altitude.

Do not fly your Mavic outdoors, when the GPS signal is not ideal. GPS signals can be blocked by buildings. This is very important when you come in for a landing. If you lose sufficient GPS signal in flight, the aircraft will go to ATTI mode, and you will lose precise control.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thefons82