DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Auburn, WA (greater Seattle area)

TGibe

Reactions
Looking forward to meeting other in my area and learning about the Mavic.

I had a Spark on order, but posted a question on the Spark thread here at mavicpilots and decided to make the right choice and get the Mavic.

My most likely use case: I hike a lot in the Northwest and _know_ that it would be cool to get video from some of the hiking areas. I also travel 2-3 times a year and wanted the option of taking a drone along.

In addition to the Mavic I have: A phantom 1 (still flies great), F550 (with gimbal, FPV, GoPro, OSD module), ARES racing drone (impulse buy), and an "ugly stick" e-plane (I flew planes in the 1980s and CP Helis in the 2000s). All of these were somewhat of a pain to get going and pretty much have to be flown line of sight (I'm not super comfortable with goggles).

Reactions: Torque and TGibe
Looking forward to meeting other in my area and learning about the Mavic.

I had a Spark on order, but posted a question on the Spark thread here at mavicpilots and decided to make the right choice and get the Mavic.

My most likely use case: I hike a lot in the Northwest and _know_ that it would be cool to get video from some of the hiking areas. I also travel 2-3 times a year and wanted the option of taking a drone along.

In addition to the Mavic I have: A phantom 1 (still flies great), F550 (with gimbal, FPV, GoPro, OSD module), ARES racing drone (impulse buy), and an "ugly stick" e-plane (I flew planes in the 1980s and CP Helis in the 2000s). All of these were somewhat of a pain to get going and pretty much have to be flown line of sight (I'm not super comfortable with goggles).
I live in Tacoma and I just took my Mavic out to Thompson Lake which is next to Mailbox Peak. I used it to scout ahead about 0.5 miles to check and see if the lake was snow free. Then I was flying it around in the lake basin while my friend and I were in our pack raft going from one island to the next. It was so awesome. I'll have to put together a video. The Mavic is the perfect scout drone except I was having a few connection issues which was annoying. I have a water bottle carrier that I use to transport the Mavic.

Reactions: Torque and TGibe
I live in Tacoma and I just took my Mavic out to Thompson Lake which is next to Mailbox Peak. I used it to scout ahead about 0.5 miles to check and see if the lake was snow free. Then I was flying it around in the lake basin while my friend and I were in our pack raft going from one island to the next. It was so awesome. I'll have to put together a video. The Mavic is the perfect scout drone except I was having a few connection issues which was annoying. I have a water bottle carrier that I use to transport the Mavic.
I just got back from a trip to Bend, OR and took the Mavic along for one of the hikes we did near Sisters, OR. Was able to fly along the river to video some of the waterfalls, which was cool. I've order a set of ND filters because some of the whitewater was overexposed on the bright sunny day of hiking. I only strayed about 200 feet in either direction, but wanted to prove that I wasn't going to be limited because I didn't have connectivity... Here is a pic from the flight (that's me on the rock).IMG_5285.JPG

Hi all!! I just got my Mavic today. I'm so excited. I puttered around with it in my yard today and I have to say it's amazingly simple to operate and gives me a lot of confidence that I will be able to do some amazing photo and video.

P.S. I'm in West Seattle

Hi all!! I just got my Mavic today. I'm so excited. I puttered around with it in my yard today and I have to say it's amazingly simple to operate and gives me a lot of confidence that I will be able to do some amazing photo and video.

P.S. I'm in West Seattle

How’s the flying in West Seattle? Boeing has a hanger near there right? I’m from Maple Valley / Renton

Am wondering the same about West Seattle. I don't think I would fly along the beaches but would be cool to get a pano near the crest of California Ave.

I've only been putting around my yard trying to get used to things. It looks like the only "open" space in West Seattle is down near the point of Alki Beach. Looks like I'm going to have to do some driving in order to get to open space where I can fly.

FYI, yes, most of West Seattle is in the Class D airspace of Boeing Field according to B4UFly.

Reactions: Wersh
Hi folks! Another West Seattlite here as well.

Indeed almost all of West Seattle is within the Boeing Field area - but you should be able to give them a call for permission (or at least make a best effort to notify).

The tip of Alki, however, is outside that so could be some cool shots there, haven't checked it out though (But I'm also not sure if it falls under the jurisdiction of Seattle Parks, but that seems pretty loosely enforced).

I'm a very new owner, so far have puttered around my yard and one playground/baseball field when it was late and nobody was there. Kept my altitude low while I learned to fly and so far I'm having a blast. I really want to take it somewhere fun and test out the range though.

Renton here, probably use my Mavic just a bit more than my P4P or P4, but I've been talking a Spark with me when I hike and ride my Bike, (went from 305 to 190 lbs since mid December by doing this 2 hours every day) and I've scouted out some good places on the trails and walking paths, in western Washington, to follow on with my Mavic or P4.

Im in Renton too. Nowhere to fly here, the drone won’t even take off. Went to Elbe, Hwy 7 area and flew the drone for first time. Great footage! Mine is Mavic Air.

Reactions: Rowenn787
Am wondering the same about West Seattle. I don't think I would fly along the beaches but would be cool to get a pano near the crest of California Ave.
Check out Jack Block Park...always some sea lions hanging out on the mooring buoys and kind of cool checking out the tugs and barges. Just dont fly towards or over the port.

Im in Renton too. Nowhere to fly here, the drone won’t even take off. Went to Elbe, Hwy 7 area and flew the drone for first time. Great footage! Mine is Mavic Air.
There's a great place along the Cedar River I fly....Cavanaugh Pond if you know where that is.

Reactions: Slowcaptain
Hi folks! Another West Seattlite here as well.

Indeed almost all of West Seattle is within the Boeing Field area - but you should be able to give them a call for permission (or at least make a best effort to notify).

The tip of Alki, however, is outside that so could be some cool shots there, haven't checked it out though (But I'm also not sure if it falls under the jurisdiction of Seattle Parks, but that seems pretty loosely enforced).

I'm a very new owner, so far have puttered around my yard and one playground/baseball field when it was late and nobody was there. Kept my altitude low while I learned to fly and so far I'm having a blast. I really want to take it somewhere fun and test out the range though.
I was flying out of Jack Block Park a couple weeks ago. Checking out the sealions on the buoys and some of the shipping traffic and skyline panoramas. Was about 1.5 miles out near the ferry lanes and I lost connection. Freaked me out as I had no video feed or anything. I hit the RTH button and it came back but when I tried to take over manual control to land it I had some issues. I would get it to come down but when it was about 5 ft up it would just climb up again. Several attempts with the same result. I finally got it low again and reached out to grab the leg extension I put on it and the **** thing just wanted to climb. I had to carefully pull the battery to get it to stop. First time I ever had that happen. I had flown there 1 half dozen times before with never an issue.

Reactions: Torque
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+