DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Australia NPWS permit to fly?

Michael Ainsworth

Reactions
I know National Parks are restricted somewhat, but has anyone asked permission from the National Parks Manager to operate within the park.
I have an ARN with CASA and have also got authorisation to fly for "Hire or Reward" but still require permission if we go into the Parks to do some Videos and Photos.
So has anyone attempted and been successful in getting permission?
I thought that if I have shown that I am trying to do the right thing that it would help my chances.

Thanks.

Reactions: Shaon and ZUCSTA
I know National Parks are restricted somewhat, but has anyone asked permission from the National Parks Manager to operate within the park.
I have an ARN with CASA and have also got authorisation to fly for "Hire or Reward" but still require permission if we go into the Parks to do some Videos and Photos.
So has anyone attempted and been successful in getting permission?
I thought that if I have shown that I am trying to do the right thing that it would help my chances.

Thanks.
I talked with Parks here in TAS and the answer is a definite no to CASA sub 2kg permit. They require a full CASA licence and even then it is on a case by case basis. I know of an overseas film crew that came here and were knocked back on using a drone with a fully ticketed pilot. They did the shoot with an AS350 Squirrel ... go figure ...

Reactions: Michael Ainsworth
Contacted Royal National Park Manager today. Explained what I wanted to do, i.e enter certain areas with the intention of drone photography in a small area and adhering to all CASA guidelines. Did not get a NO still waiting on a yes. They would like a sort of flight plan with the area to be shot. My idea is to try for waterfalls and rocky outcrops and not fly extensively around the park. If I can get a toe hold then maybe I could increase my activity somewhat.
Emphasised that I had ARN and had approached CASA and had given RPAS notification of my intent to use the drone in certain areas around NSW, ACT and SA.
I was trying to show that I was being serious and professional in my actions.
Will follow this up after Easter and look into some form of Public liability insurance.

Contacted Royal National Park Manager today. Explained what I wanted to do, i.e enter certain areas with the intention of drone photography in a small area and adhering to all CASA guidelines. Did not get a NO still waiting on a yes. They would like a sort of flight plan with the area to be shot. My idea is to try for waterfalls and rocky outcrops and not fly extensively around the park. If I can get a toe hold then maybe I could increase my activity somewhat.
Emphasised that I had ARN and had approached CASA and had given RPAS notification of my intent to use the drone in certain areas around NSW, ACT and SA.
I was trying to show that I was being serious and professional in my actions.
Will follow this up after Easter and look into some form of Public liability insurance.

I asked a park manager in a small reserve if I could fly above the lake just for some video graphy and he told me NO because I would disturb the wild life. At the same time a boat passed next to us, reving like crazy, so I told him, well , it looks like because that noise wont disturb any wild life right? He said, well boatd are different because they are cruising above the water and do not disturb anything, I said well, say that to the fish and all aquatic life.

People are just scared and sadly NO is always their first word.

Last edited:
Reactions: JDG
Yep, it's a shame that drones are associated with nuisance and hooning.
Same with motorbikes, as soon as you say you are a biker people take a step back and tell you how bad they all are.
For this hobby to be taken seriously then there probably has to be more clubs or associations to be involved.

Reactions: ZUCSTA and stratos
Yep, it's a shame that drones are associated with nuisance and hooning.
Same with motorbikes, as soon as you say you are a biker people take a step back and tell you how bad they all are.
For this hobby to be taken seriously then there probably has to be more clubs or associations to be involved.
Totally agree .... they said, it seems like there is a common connection with drones and motor bikes .... I'm a case in point and enjoy both

take your drone into the National park Gaffer Taped to the end of a Broom stick handle and see what the reaction is..lol
I ve seen some people that actually use the drone as stabilized dolly , sort of osmos :)

I believe there is a famous photographer at odds with NPWS over plans to charge for photos.
They target those with good cameras who they perceive as "Professional" this could well trickle down to everyone although would be hard to enforce.

You know I do understand their Worries..But surely a Responsible nature Photographer ,should be able to take pics and sell After all it is owned by the people ,he no doubt has all the certification and respect for the relevant park.
I reckon a case by case basis and I also believe all rangers should be shown the positives of these Drones. The potential to help during bushfires and Lost people is immense, I'm a phone call away for my local Surf Club.
I hope we can get this done open ,of course with Guidelines in use revWildlife and Safety

To date, National Parks in Vic, SA (and Conservation Parks in SA), and Tas have outright banned recreational drone use in National Parks.
NSW, NT, and WA obligations (so far) seem reasonable too, permits required.
Qld seems to have the most relaxed outlook, with permits needed for commercial use.
Just a matter of common sense and the right approach in all but the total ban states.
It's a shame, but understandable even just from the angle of it may detract from other visitors experiences in the park, many go for the solitude, peace, etc.

Has anybody had any luck with NSW parks?

I was in Ku-ring-gai recently and noticed signs on the toll booths and at beauty spots stating that drones are prohibited, specifically that taking off, landing, and flying within national parks is prohibited and the consequence is a $300 fine. This seems at odds with the spirit of the more reasonably worded NSW drones in parks policy, which doesn't say prohibited at all, just that permission is required. (The policy does however say "If a plan of management for a park states that drones are not to be used, NPWS must erect signs in the park or issue directions to visitors". this may be the case at Ku-ring-gai, but if so, allowing the signs to state that use is prohibited in [all] parks is slightly misleading).

I'm all for banning drones at busy tourist spots, especially at peak visitation times and if drone users can't stick to the rules. Equipping "the authorities" with a mechanism to punish nuisance flyers is not necessarily a bad thing and should encourage more responsible flying. However, drones are photography tools (and so much more, and safer, than the RC devices they have evolved from), it does seem a shame to shut off the remote, unpopulated, photogenic parts of the country just because one or two (or thirty) flyers make a nuisance of themselves at specific beauty spots.

So, are the signs at Ku-ring-gai popping up at parks across NSW? and is that an indication that NSW Parks is firmly against any responsible drone use? Has anybody had any luck in making a reasonable request to fly, and, how does one even make contact with a NSW park manager to start the conversation!

The NSW rules for national parks are somewhat ambiguous. There is a blanket rule which states recreational drone use must have consent from the park manager.

But then, there is also the rule that the national park management must erect signs to show areas which require consent.

While on this topic, everyone should be aware there are 3 national parks in Australia which are Commonwealth national parks and aren't managed by the state they are located in:

Uluru Kata-Tjuta
Kakadu
Booderee (Jervis Bay, NSW)

These parks are generally big no-nos for flying in and only in specific commercial cases will permission be granted.

SA, Tasmania and Victoria appear to be the most strict, can't fly recreationally at all.

WA & NSW have relatively accessible permission processes.

QLD... I'm moving there! Free to fly in any national park.

In all cases, commercial operations require permission though.

Reactions: WhiteMavicPilot
Iwant to shoot some stills in a Vic NP but can't so I am going to resort to KAP with time lapse on a gopro.
I have looked at the regs and they are quite specific about drones and remote controlled aircraft but a kite is not remote controlled and is in contact with the operator at all times.
I use a 9' Delta with a picavet rig about 20' down the line, so bugger them, I will challenge them with their own regulations if they try to take me on.
As it is not illegal I won't be announcing when or where I am going.

I personally believe the blanket bans placed on the use of an aerial camera ( drone) has been put in place by ignorant people.
We as a group should lobby to have the extreme total ban on our hobby wound back to a more realistic and reasonable compromise.
I live in Tasmania which has a lot of national parks and I am being punished because I wish to take a photo.
Or we can say nothing and let the injustice continue.

The NSW rules for national parks are somewhat ambiguous. There is a blanket rule which states recreational drone use must have consent from the park manager.

But then, there is also the rule that the national park management must erect signs to show areas which require consent.

While on this topic, everyone should be aware there are 3 national parks in Australia which are Commonwealth national parks and aren't managed by the state they are located in:

Uluru Kata-Tjuta
Kakadu
Booderee (Jervis Bay, NSW)

These parks are generally big no-nos for flying in and only in specific commercial cases will permission be granted.

SA, Tasmania and Victoria appear to be the most strict, can't fly recreationally at all.

WA & NSW have relatively accessible permission processes.

QLD... I'm moving there! Free to fly in any national park.

In all cases, commercial operations require permission though.

Its Interesting NSW Parks have a specific policy of obtaining Area Manager approval first.
Though on the last 3 flights I have flown I have driven passed the NPWS sign on the side of the road and I wasn't made aware of any no flying.
So prior to gaining approval if there isn't a NO FLY sign and we follow all the CASA guideline which pretty much is NPWS policy word for word. We should be fine.

I've just been asked to use a drone at Manly Dam (Northern Beaches region of Sydney). I was surprised to see it appears there aren't restrictions to fly there, at least in the North/Northwestern end. Anyone know otherwise?

Attachments

• IMG_0021.PNG
    IMG_0021.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
I've just been asked to use a drone at Manly Dam (Northern Beaches region of Sydney). I was surprised to see it appears there aren't restrictions to fly there, at least in the North/Northwestern end. Anyone know otherwise?

I was at Manly dam a few months ago, and shot a nice sequence moving through the trees to the dam then rising over the top. When I was on the way out I noticed the sign specifically banning drones! Very easy to miss - I don't know what the illustration is meant to be but it certainly doesn't look like a drone...

When I was on the way out I noticed the sign specifically banning drones...
I found an email address for drone flight approvals for the northern beaches, covering the Manly Dam area. Sent off a request. A month later I’m still waiting. Did the same for Thredbo back in ski season, and in both cases included my REPL details, with a summary of how and where I intended to fly. Neither ever responded. Seems they know people will ask for an approval, but they’ve either not got the resources or ability to assess whether the requests should be granted. Annoying!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada