DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Australian charts now free and in PDF format

The CASA app actually contains a lot of very useful info pertaining to UAV rules. Average Joe, non pilot, will have little understanding of a VTC even though it does, as you say contain plenty of info. Both useful though.

Part of the problem with the CASA app is the data is applicable to commercial flight operations and is actually wrong for non commercial hobby flight ops. I believe the app will get a update in the future to resolve this.

With regard to height restrictions and the operation of the "Can I Fly There?" app I queried CASA yesterday and they promptly replied today.

Good morning Rob
The ‘Can I fly there?’ drone safety app reflects the standard operating conditions for those flying their drone commercially (under the excluded category of commercial operations) and should be used in conjunction with the Standard Operating Conditions that apply to the category you are operating in. For further information on this app please read the information at Can I fly there? - Drone safety app | Civil Aviation Safety Authority

In your case, as you are operating recreationally, you must comply with the rules listed on the CASA website at Flying drones or model aircraft recreationally | Civil Aviation Safety Authority
If you are a recreational user (flying for fun) it is possible to operate above 400ft AGL in Class G airspace however you MUST be able keep the drone within visual line of sight and ensure you do not create a hazard to other aircraft.
Advisory Circular 101-10 is not aimed at Recreational users, it is for those operating in the excluded categories.
Advisory Circular 101-3 was issued in July 2002 and is currently under review to take into account the changes to the regulation that came into effect on 29/9/2016.

Please let me know if I can asssit further.

Kind regards
RPAS Administration
National Operations
CASA \ Aviation Group
www.casa.gov.au@

Hope this helps those like me who up until now thought that the 120m AGL was an overall restriction. BTW Class G airspace is uncontrolled airspace.

I use my VNC's here so I know where it is a) safe and b) legal. Canada's rules are insane stupid and restrictive - you need every bit of information possible.
Good idea. Especially if you have an aviation background,enabling you to make sense of a VNC or VTC.

Fortunately we do not need to here. Establishing where it is unsafe to fly in Australia is what our Governments Can I fly there? - Drone safety app | Civil Aviation Safety Authority is for. It does so in a simple way that a lay person can use while providing information on the various rules appropriate to Commercial RPA and Recreational Model use. If flying non commercially the 5.5km limit from Controlled aerodromes becomes from ALL aerodromes. Simple enough to apply that difference as they still have amber circles around them.

It is certainly what I will be recommending as the go to resource for any one seeking this information in Australia.

....If you are a recreational user (flying for fun) it is possible to operate above 400ft AGL in Class G airspace however you MUST be able keep the drone within visual line of sight and ensure you do not create a hazard to other aircraft.<snip>
Hope this helps those like me who up until now thought that the 120m AGL was an overall restriction. BTW Class G airspace is uncontrolled airspace.
Yeah them's the rules.
But I am happy for most people to be under the blanket 120m/400' misconception as it seems safer. This idiosyncrasy is actually covered in the Can I Fly here app. Click the "Drones for Fun" Menu in the app and in the list of recreational rules you will see the height limit is qualified by the opening statement. "In controlled airspace.... you must not fly higher than 120m 400'. Happy flying.

With regard to height restrictions and the operation of the "Can I Fly There?" app I queried CASA yesterday and they promptly replied today.

Good morning Rob
The ‘Can I fly there?’ drone safety app reflects the standard operating conditions for those flying their drone commercially (under the excluded category of commercial operations) and should be used in conjunction with the Standard Operating Conditions that apply to the category you are operating in. For further information on this app please read the information at Can I fly there? - Drone safety app | Civil Aviation Safety Authority

In your case, as you are operating recreationally, you must comply with the rules listed on the CASA website at Flying drones or model aircraft recreationally | Civil Aviation Safety Authority
If you are a recreational user (flying for fun) it is possible to operate above 400ft AGL in Class G airspace however you MUST be able keep the drone within visual line of sight and ensure you do not create a hazard to other aircraft.
Advisory Circular 101-10 is not aimed at Recreational users, it is for those operating in the excluded categories.
Advisory Circular 101-3 was issued in July 2002 and is currently under review to take into account the changes to the regulation that came into effect on 29/9/2016.

Please let me know if I can asssit further.

Kind regards
RPAS Administration
National Operations
CASA \ Aviation Group
www.casa.gov.au@

Cheers mate, this information has been really helpful!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair