DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Australian Rules and Regulations - CASA

Trying to figure all these regs out also, and noticed no one had included the following diagrams from 101c01.pdf

I think it is clear that these drones are not allowed to be flown within 5.5km of a Controlled Aerodrome (one with a manned tower) and the altitude limit of 120m across the entire country.

Where it has been unclear (for me anyway) is i am surrounded by a number of very small unmanned landing strips, and a heliport. I had a guy yell at me saying I was in violation of CASA rules (apparently a small aircraft pilot), when I was at an altitude of ~30m, and 8KM from an uncontrolled aerodrome (a strip of dirt in the middle of nowhere that might see a plane once a year).

Unfortunately, I hadn't educated myself enough and conceded I was in the wrong, later finding out my flight was completely legal.

Anyway, hope this helps other RPA pilots in similar circumstances.

Helipads.jpg
uncontrolled-Aerodromes.jpg

Last edited:
Trying to figure all these regs out also, and noticed no one had included the following diagrams from 101c01.pdf

I think it is clear that these drones are not allowed to be flown within 5.5km of a Controlled Aerodrome (one with a manned tower) and the altitude limit of 120m across the entire country.

Hey Bert whatever diagrams you posted are not available for others to view.

You are actually incorrect about the altitude limit, not that I wish encourage flight above 120m.

As you are flying recreationally, CASR 101.400 (1) applies:

CASR 101.400 (1) - A person may operate a model aircraft outside an approved area above 400 feet AGL only if he or she
(a) keeps it in sight; and
(b) keeps it clear of populous areas.

and that CASR is further restricted by the model aircraft rules (ASR 101c01) to preclude doing so in controlled airspace without approval..

MODEL AIRCRAFT OPERATING AREAS

8.1 Before flying above 400ft within controlled airspace or within 3 nautical miles of an aerodrome, the operator of a model aircraft must obtain permission from the appropriate air traffic control service or CASA as appropriate.

8.2.1 The operator of a model aircraft weighing over 100 grams is required to obtain permission before flying a model above 400 ft AGL within controlled airspace or within 3 nautical miles of an aerodrome. While this rule means that a model aircraft may be flown above 400 ft AGL clear of these areas, there are advantages in seeking approval for a permanent model aircraft operating area

So surprisingly a as a a recreational user, you can fly as high as you like OCTA as long as you keep it in sight and away from populated areas!

OK...I have hopefully fixed those images up on my previous post.
Your post has confused me a bit, as its all pretty new to me... I am unfamiliar with some of those acronyms...and what regulations have been superceeded with the latest changes to the laws.
Will do some further research though!
The height issue is not a big deal to me.. 120m is totally fine. Its the operation of the drone near "mom and pop" airstrips that is of most concern.. But that is now cleared up 100% for me! Happy days!

It is a can of worms.
OCTA = out side of controlled airspace AGL = Above Ground level.
I agree - usually no good reason to fly above 120m/400' AGL. That is light aircraft territory, even though it is legal to do so OCTA. Cheers.

Is there a map showing controlled air space? Or is that just the 5.5km from any controlled aerodrome? From my research I thought all of australia was considered controlled airspace?

What is interesting as you can see from the diagram above Figure5, the "No Flying" Area extends 7km from either end or the runway at an angle of 15degrees. This makes it possibly worse than a major airports no fly area! And flights no closer than 1km to the sides of these airstrips can be made under 45m....

Point is, how do they expect hobbyist pilots to know and understand these rules when it is not spelled our clearly in one document?

Has anyone used this map before? AirCheck | Australian Airspace & Flight Display
If so, can you shed some light on how to use it? Seems if I set the max altitude to 1000ft there seems to be no class in my area....

Is there a map showing controlled air space? Or is that just the 5.5km from any controlled aerodrome? From my research I thought all of australia was considered controlled airspace?
Not quite. Layers of Controlled airspace cover all of Australia yes. So you will always have controlled airspace above you. However over the vast majority of the landmass this layer does not come any where near the ground and is begins at 18,000'. Over the populous parts of the country, near cities (including within a couple of hundred miles of the entire east coast) the controlled airspace floor is much lower and near major airports continues all the way down to the ground. Even in MEL or SYD once a little away from the airports it does not go all the way to the ground. Where I am at the moment 3nm SE of the Melbourne CBD the floor of controlled airspace is at 2500'.

What is interesting as you can see from the diagram above Figure5, the "No Flying" Area extends 7km from either end or the runway at an angle of 15degrees. This makes it possibly worse than a major airports no fly area! And flights no closer than 1km to the sides of these airstrips can be made under 45m....
The source of those diagrams, 101c01 is actually in relation to RPA commercial use. You will see on p22 of that document you are directed to a different doc, AC101-03 for recreational use. It does not have these diagrams. But they are a good guide none the less.

Point is, how do they expect hobbyist pilots to know and understand these rules when it is not spelled our clearly in one document?

It is difficult, but as posted by someone earlier the Remotely piloted aircraft eLearning module Is a very useful tool, drawing in information from the various rules and regs.

Has anyone used this map before? AirCheck | Australian Airspace & Flight Display
If so, can you shed some light on how to use it? Seems if I set the max altitude to 1000ft there seems to be no class in my area....
Yes have seen it. I believe it is for recreational glider and hanglider pilots. Definitely a useful guide but would not vouch for it being up to date. I have access to some aviation related maps that are up to date and accurate.
If you want to PM me your location I can check the airspace there for you. Chances are if your are more than a few KMs from a major airport you will be well below any controlled airspace.

Thanks for the info man.. Very informative. I am currently flying recreationally, but going to get registered for commercial so I think I am confusing myself a bit too...Thanks again.

Hi everyone,

I'm new to drones & I have found CASA information ranges between simplistic and overly complicated. I'm sure others more familiar with CASA and how its laws and notifications are written and distributed are able to interpret the information and arrive at a set of rules to follow. I also found mixing the commercial info with the recreational information just added to the complexity. Once I know I'm recreational I don't think I should see any commercial information. I have written to CASA and receive a good response only a few hours later.

Below is my email & CASA's response. I hope this will help others.

I'm a little confused as to where I can fly my drone in the South Brisbane area. I've read your recreational page, tried to read the regulations and watched the videos. My questions are:
I live outside of the 5.5km radius from Archerfield and Brisbane Airports but the HLS at Mater & PA Hospitals are within 5.5km of my intended flying location. Is it possible to fly within 5.5km of a HLS as long as I stay under 120m and follow the other standard operating procedures? As I'm only learning to fly a drone for the first time it is my intention to set an altitude limit of 40m. I'm very familiar with the area & am aware of the approach and departure routes most helicopters take. The park I intend to fly from is in a floodplain and has terrain nearby over 100m. Thus the only time there would be a conflict with another aircraft is if it was landing at this site.

The other question is concerning the approach & departure paths. That is not clearly explained on your page so that a non-aviation person can understand. I have found a diagram in AC 101-10 v1.2 page 25 & 26. Is that applicable for to recreational flyers? i.e. can I operate within 5.5km of a HLS as long as I'm below 45m and outside the "no fly area".

I very much want to avoid breaking the rules and avoid conflicts or risks for others. Your assistance on the above issues would be appreciated. Looking at the online drone forums, there are many debates over the correct application of the rules. I think this is an indication that CASA could improve how these rules apply to non-aviation industry drone pilots. The better the rules are understood the less likely problems will occur.

Regards,

Matthew

Good afternoon Matthew

Under 101.G Recreational RPA users can operate within the 3nm (5.5km) radius of an aerodrome or helicopter landing site providing they do not operate:

· on the approach and departure path, or

• within the movement area, or
  • create a hazard to aircraft that may be using those areas.
Whilst it is not a breach of the regulation CASA advises recreation RPA users that:

· You must not fly in a way that creates a hazard to other aircraft, so you should keep at least 5.5 km away from airfields, aerodromes and helicopter landing sites.

Approach and departure paths of an Aerodrome/Helicopter Landing Site are often dependant on the direction that the wind is coming from. As a number of aerodromes have additional runways to account for different wind directions, it is problematic to assume that an aircraft will always approach or depart the aerodrome from the same direction.

In addition to this, Helicopters do have the ability to approach and depart from Helicopter Landing Sites from any direction. With this in mind it is often safer to ensure that you are not operating within 3nm of any aerodrome. By operating more than 3nm (5.5km) away from an Aerodrome or HLS you may be assured that you are not presenting a hazard to any aircraft.

In conclusion, whilst it is not a breach of the regulation to operate within 3nm of an aerodrome it is not recommended as it may cause a hazard to other aircraft.

CASA does not have jurisdiction in land use matters or providing permission to operate drones from parks. Commonwealth drone safety rules apply throughout Australia subject to any applicable and valid state, territory or local government laws. So in addition to complying with all of the drone safety rules, you must also obey any relevant council bylaws. Councils have the power to at least prohibit a drone taking off or landing on Council land or other property over which it has land rights. Questions regarding local council bylaws should be directed to the applicable local council.

Advisory Circular 101-10 relates to RPA operation within the excluded categories. It does not apply to those operating an RPA/drone for Recreational purposes.

You may find it helpful to join an approved model flying association. For more information click on this link Model Aeronautical Association of Australia - Model Aeronautical Association of Australia - Model Aeronautical Association of Australia

Note: When emailing CASA please ensure you include the following:

..If you are not a certified operator please advise the category you are operating under (if known)

..If you are emailing in relation to an existing job can you please include the job number, Name of your Organisation and ARN number in the Subject line of your email.

..If you are a certified operator can you please include the name of your organisation and your ARN number in the Subject line of your email

Kind regards

RPAS Administration

National Assurance

CASA \ Safety Assurance

12-14 The Circuit, Brisbane Airport, Qld 4007

GPO Box 2005, Canberra ACT 2601

www.casa.gov.au

Reactions: born2drone
I've added this to the first post as well as putting it here to ensure any new pilots don't confuse the old rules with what is now in effect...
As of 18/10/17 CASA will enforce new rules for recreational flying.
Excluded and Commercial flights not affected.
101-3 Advisory Circular which governs recreational flights has not yet been updated.
Change log follows:
• Flights above 400 feet in Class G airspace no longer permitted.
• Flights within 5.5km of Controlled Aerodrome no longer permitted unless micro class (sub 100g) RPA.
• 30 metre operational radius updated/clarified to be measured from ground point directly below the RPA. ie. laterally measured.
• Currently no mention of the 45 metre altitude restriction near helipads which affects Commercial operations however this is expected to be included in the 101-3 update.

Thanks for the update.
Interesting how CASA can run on an interim set of rules that are seemingly only listed only on a web site. They are not promulgated in an AIC? Do we need to check the website everyday before we fly in case they change something else?

Thanks for the update.
Interesting how CASA can run on an interim set of rules that are seemingly only listed only on a web site. They are not promulgated in an AIC? Do we need to check the website everyday before we fly in case they change something else?
I can highly recommend signing up for the CASA mailing list
Tick the second from the bottom Remotely piloted aircraft systems (Drones)
You'll get an email for anything that affects us.

I think you missed the point.

I am really just curious about what the basis of this interim rule change is.
Notwithstanding the fact that the changes seem sensible, I am questioning how they are legitimate. Can some bloke in a CASA decide to limit recreational drones to say 100', call it an interim rule, whack it on their website and we are supposed to abide by it. Can someone even be fined or penalised for breaching an interim rule, whatever that may be?

Aha thanks for that. A CASA Instrument does indeed make it legit.

Thanks for this post and clarification, as I live on the edge of a non-controlled airspace (hospital 5.5km heli zone) so if I was flying my Mavic to say photograph my house, then I must land immediately if I became aware there is an aircraft operating to or from this heli pad; it is very unlikely it would fly over my house, as the trees next to my house is 20 to 30 foot high, so it means if I’m flying lower than that, there is no chance in a million years it is going to be an issue...and I mean I’m that on the edge of this zone that further up my same crescent/street, it is outside the zone.

I saw this on the CASA website:-
Dirty Dozen: 12 ways your drone can land you in trouble | Flight Safety Australia
See Section 4.
"There are certain places where you shouldn’t fly your drone without first gaining the permission from the relevant authority.
These places include private property, national parks, secure or sensitive areas such as prisons, military bases, schools, council land and notable landmarks, where flying your drone could even gain you the unwanted attention of local law enforcement."
Private property?? I couldn't find any reference to that limitation anywhere else.

I think they are refering to some one else's private property without the owners permission.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S