DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Auto Landing Issue from Altitude

jrdaniele22

Reactions
Hey guys. I'm new here and learning about the drone life. My Mavic keeps auto-descending from altitudes of 20-50ft. I was trying to take a group picture today and the controller said "Landing" and began to slowly descend. I could move the drone left and right, but not up and down. Once I finally got it to start to ascend again it continued to do so and I had to try several movements to get it out of auto ascending. Then it went back into auto-descending and yo yo'd between the two until I finally set her down.

I'm seriously wondering if this is a rookie mistake I am making and there is something obvious I am missing. Can anyone give me any advice on this?

Do you have GPS? (Note: before even starting the motors you should wait until GPS has at least 10 sats).
Are you in a NFZ? (Note: you would be alerted to the fact).
Are you pressing RTH buttons (controller or GO App) by mistake?
Is the battery low?
Did the controller GO App "disconnect"? (invoked RTH, see P. 16 of the V1.6 manual)
Are you confusing sticks and gimbal tilt?

GPS? Had 12 satellites
NFZ? Not that I was aware of. Didn't see any warnings on the controller
RTH buttons? The only things my hands were on were the two joysticks.
Battery Low? No, 80%+ each time.
Disconnect? Did not see the controller disconnect ever.
Was not confusing sticks and gimble tilt.

On both occasions that I have flown so far, I'm wondering if interference was playing any kind of part. The first time was outside my condo and I'm sure there were a ton of wi-fi signals flying around with all of the units. The second time, yesterday, I was at an outside pool at an apartment complex. Not ideal fly zones from what my friend told me. I just calibrated the IMU because I read that should be done after every firmware upgrade. I'm headed out to a little more of a rural spot today to give it another shot.

GPS? Had 12 satellites
NFZ? Not that I was aware of. Didn't see any warnings on the controller
RTH buttons? The only things my hands were on were the two joysticks.
Battery Low? No, 80%+ each time.
Disconnect? Did not see the controller disconnect ever.
Was not confusing sticks and gimble tilt.

On both occasions that I have flown so far, I'm wondering if interference was playing any kind of part. The first time was outside my condo and I'm sure there were a ton of wi-fi signals flying around with all of the units. The second time, yesterday, I was at an outside pool at an apartment complex. Not ideal fly zones from what my friend told me. I just calibrated the IMU because I read that should be done after every firmware upgrade. I'm headed out to a little more of a rural spot today to give it another shot.

Where did you read that (IMU cal)? I've only done 1 IMU cal and that was to see how to do it.

Good luck. I have a feeling I'm missing something ...

Please upload your TXT flight log here and post a link back here. You'll find instructions for locating your TXT flight log at that link.

Reactions: Jedipro23
The same thing happened in all of your flight logs. The Mavic switched to forced landing mode because you had the throttle in the full down position when the downward sensors detected the ground was near (even though it wasn't). You can prevent that from happening by disabling the "Landing Protection" setting in DJI GO.

DJI-GO-Landing-Protection.jpg

Thank you so much for your help! I will give that a shot. However, what would explain the drone ascending automatically even when my hand wasn't on the stick? It would go from auto landing then I would snap it out of that and it would start to ascend automatically. I couldn't get it to just hover. This was only happening during this auto landing issue...no other times.

When Landing Protection is enabled and the Mavic is not in Forced Landing mode, it'll auto ascend if the downward sensors detect it's less than 0.5 meters from the ground. If the downward sensors continue to incorrectly detect the ground is below 0.5 meters, the Mavic will continue to auto ascend.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest