DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Automated Pano (portrait mode)

Richard-mavic

Reactions
Hi,

Can anybody tell me if there is an app that will automate panos in portrait mode for the Mavic? I'm specifically thinking for this as a landscape photographer - I'm not interested at all with shooting 360. I also realise I can shoot 360 and choose the ones I want, but that takes ages and is hopelessly inefficient.

I'd like to be able to point the camera at something, hit a button and it shoots panos for a pre-determined viewing angle (say 120 degrees) maybe even across two rows of photos.

I have Litchi and Autopilot, but last time I tried both of those (with an Inspire Pro) it couldn't cope with the concept of different focal lengths, and I reverted to manually doing it. Hoping the Mavic is an easier thing to program, and therefore, use.

thanks in advance.

Definitely curious about this as well. I'm very adept with Photoshop and I know I can stitch them together myself but if there is a program that can either take the three several images and stitch them together on the iPad or if there is a program that works with the drone to do it that would be great to hear about.

Maybe DJ and I will include it as an update to the DJI go 4 app

Sorry that link didn't work right. Search Youtube with the following. Mavic Kincaid Pano

Mr. Kincaid has posted a lot of great videos showing the various capabilities of the Mavic.

Last edited:
Couldnt you use litchi and tap to refocus between shots?
Litchi is easy to program the pano to your 120 degrees and 2 rows, Set the camera to portrait mode and fire away. As the camera is essentially manually autofocused you just tap the screen after it pans to each subsequent shot. You can even set a pause of up to 30 sec before and after each shot to allow you to change camera settings should you want to.

For most landscapes you ought not need to refocus I'd have thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For most landscapes you ought not need to refocus I'd have thought
I agree - I don't refocus even doing a 360.
Was just responding to your comment ".I have Litchi and Autopilot, but last time I tried both of those (with an Inspire Pro) it couldn't cope with the concept of different focal lengths". The Mavic focal length is fixed isn't it? So I took this to mean you were panning around bringing something much closer into frame in your landscape requiring you to focus .
So what actually was the issue with it previously not working for you. I have had good success doing 360 panos with Litchi and the Mavic, so I would be surprised if you cannot do your 120 degrees Landscapes with it quite readily.

Thanks. I meant that with different lenses on the x5 it did not know how many panos to do for given angle to ensure enough overlap. Ie if you're zoomed in close you need more than if the lens is wide. I therefore gave up and would just do it manually.

I'm guessing that for a fixed focal length craft, the app is pre-programmed to give the ideal amount of overlap automatically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah I see, makes sense now.. Yeah from my limited experience with Litchi doing MAVIC Panos, overlap has never been an issue. Have been shooting landscape mode & I did notice Litchi calculates the same no of images required using 16:9 or 4:3. So I assumed 16:9 was wasting overlap and therefore have been toggling the camera to 4:3 for my Panos. But really the litchi part seems the simple part to me. Getting exposure right and stitching neatly is where the work is.

yeah would love an app that automated PS to stitch, although it's pretty quick to be fair. HDR panos is another story altogether!

you lose resolution with 16:9 images don't you - therefore not sure it's ever worth shooting 16:9 for photos?

as for exposure - wouldn't you just AE lock before the first image?

Good point about the 16:9. Had incorrectly assumed thought 16:9 being the default was max res when clearly 4:3 is. Even the specs list 4000x3000 as max image res the default.

Yeah I use AE lock and knock the exposure down -2 usually as I have been lazy and using JPGs which tend to overexpose for me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots