DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Autopilot 4.1 - Path Inspector

cirrusly

Reactions
While planning a waypoint mission, when using the flight path inspector my aircraft doesn't turn to face the POI (focus point) like it should. It keeps facing forward along the path even though the lines connecting the focus triggers and focus points are displayed like they're supposed to. My focus strategy is set to triggers and not direction.

Would someone running 4.1 check this and see if this is a bug or if I'm doing something wrong? This should be really simple!

Thanks!

It works for me. Here is what it looks like and a few screenshots of my settings.

Photo Jun 29, 12 10 54 AM.png Photo Jun 29, 12 11 01 AM.png Photo Jun 29, 12 11 18 AM.png

BTW I just found this feature a couple days ago when I went to tinker with setting up a waypoint mission the first time. VERY cool ... such an amazingly powerful capability.

It works for me. Here is what it looks like and a few screenshots of my settings.

View attachment 16095 View attachment 16096 View attachment 16097

Thanks Darana. That is very helpful. Can you confirm that you have updated Autopilot to 4.1? My settings look identical, however my aircraft symbol never rotates to face the POI when running the inspector. I have spent several hours checking and double checking my settings (before every posting this) and I'm quite sure they're right.

Thanks!!!

Yep, sorry forgot to say that yes I'm running 4.1. 90+ minutes of DJI support has a way of frying the brain.

Reactions: GooterFly68
Yep, sorry forgot to say that yes I'm running 4.1. 90+ minutes of DJI support has a way of frying the brain.
Crud. I have no clue what's going on then. One last thing.... try switching your Waypoint Settings - Strategy to Direction (which should make your aircraft symbol face forward throughout the mission) then try switching it back to Triggers. Here's what mine looks like. You can see that the aircraft is facing forward along the route, however the focus point is clearly to the right.

Attachments

• Autopilot POI.PNG
    Autopilot POI.PNG
    6.7 MB · Views: 19
Here are the general mission settings, too.
View attachment 16098
View attachment 16099
Yep, exactly the same as mine. Thanks! And the weird thing is I'm seeing this on two totally different devices. When you really get into it the waypoint settings are really quite simple, and I've checked mine no less than 50 times. I have no clue what's going on. Frustrating.

Your help is greatly appreciated though!!

so I have a couple of focus points which are set to directly already, and they do work as expected. :(

Ugh, I hate that feeling, though, not 100% trusting myself that I didn't miss something but being certain I didn't.

I'm off with support .... now to see if the mystery email he claims he sent ever shows up. But way way way past my bedtime. Good luck figuring it out! I hope it turns out to be something simple. :)

Reactions: Dtrain515
so I have a couple of focus points which are set to directly already, and they do work as expected. :(
When you get a chance, try setting your entire Mission's "Focus Strategy" to Direction, run the Path Inspector (the aircraft symbol should follow the path) then change the Mission's Focus Strategy back to Triggers and the aircraft symbol should once again point towards the focus points (POIs).

Hopefully yours will. Mine certainly don't!

When you get a chance, try setting your entire Mission's "Focus Strategy" to Direction, run the Path Inspector (the aircraft symbol should follow the path) then change the Mission's Focus Strategy back to Triggers and the aircraft symbol should once again point towards the focus points (POIs).

Oh, I never noticed that there is a share option on flight plans! I'm sending you a link to my working waypoint mission, according to the docs you should be able to click the link and download a copy of the flight plan to your device. Besides being just really cool (there's collaboration mode too!) you can copy my working mission to your device and play it and see if it works.

Sending by direct message now. (each link can only be clicked once)

So for what it's worth, I just noticed that if I turn on previous and next interpolation when the next focus trigger is a direction trigger not a POI trigger, that I lose the green line, although the preview does still show the bird yawing to focus a bit, though much less pronounced.

When interpolation is previous and next but the triggers are POI triggers it still does show the line, along with the actual focus point as it moves cross the ground.

It only gets weirder. I can even set my focus strategy to Direction and set an absolute Yaw reference and it still doesn't work. I the screenshots below the absolute reference is set to due north and the aircraft is headed due west, yet it's still yawed straight ahead.

Oh, I never noticed that there is a share option on flight plans! I'm sending you a link to my working waypoint mission, according to the docs you should be able to click the link and download a copy of the flight plan to your device. Besides being just really cool (there's collaboration mode too!) you can copy my working mission to your device and play it and see if it works.

I'm trying to find the direct message on my iPad so I can open it but I'm not having any luck. I really appreciate your help. I'm almost to the point of uninstalling and reinstalling Autopilot. I've emailed support on this issue and the Sport mode issue but haven't heard anything back. I'll try posting on their Facebook page as well.

Once again, thanks so much for your help. This is one of the cases that I mentioned in one of my other posts where it would really help to have a much more active user community like Litchi has when you run into these types of issues!

Here's what your waypoint mission looks like on my iPad. The only place I see the Autopilot version is on the startup screen and mine is showing 4.1, and checking the update log in the app store app it looks like the update is 4.1 dated June 21st.

Here's what your waypoint mission looks like on my iPad. The only place I see the Autopilot version is on the startup screen and mine is showing 4.1, and checking the update log in the app store app it looks like the update is 4.1 dated June 21st.

Aha! Got it! At least I can exactly match your behavior on my install now.

Settings - "Movement Parameters" section - "Heading if Gimbal Yaw Enabled" (last one in that section)
Change it from "Match Flight Direction" to "Match Gimbal Direction"

Makes sense in a complicated way. :) Since this mission is being set up offline, Autopilot doesn't actually know if we're flying an Inspire or a P4P/Mavic w/ no Gimbal yaw. So this setting (possibly default? Not sure) is telling it which setup you have.

I changed it to "flight direction" and it exactly mimics your behavior. Changed it back to "gimbal direction" and I'm right back to working as before. In both cases the little green gradiant triangle shows the gimbal view/yaw, even in your screenshots.

Hope this is indeed what it is for you!

Aha! Got it! At least I can exactly match your behavior on my install now.

Settings - "Movement Parameters" section - "Heading if Gimbal Yaw Enabled" (last one in that section)
Change it from "Match Flight Direction" to "Match Gimbal Direction"

Makes sense in a complicated way. :) Since this mission is being set up offline, Autopilot doesn't actually know if we're flying an Inspire or a P4P/Mavic w/ no Gimbal yaw. So this setting (possibly default? Not sure) is telling it which setup you have.

I changed it to "flight direction" and it exactly mimics your behavior. Changed it back to "gimbal direction" and I'm right back to working as before. In both cases the little green gradiant triangle shows the gimbal view/yaw, even in your screenshots.

Hope this is indeed what it is for you!
That's it!

THANK YOU!!!

That's exactly what it was. I figured it was either something in the very latest update or something in the master settings as there's only so much you can change in the waypoint mission settings. Obviously I must have changed that at some point. I never thought to look there as I can't engage Gimbal Yaw but as you said there's no way for AP to know at that point whether I'm going to be flying an Inspire or Mavic.

Your help is sincerely appreciated!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7