DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Autopilot: Waypoints - Loss of signal issues/questions

Pablo

Reactions
I've just started using Autopilot and flew my first waypoint mission. I've read the entire Autopilot flight school manual already. I understand that if you lose signal the DJI RTH kicks in. The waypoint mission I set up is one I've flown with Litchi beforehand without any issues. However it didn't go as smoothly with Autopilot:

- I lost signal three times. The first couple of times it recovered after less than a second, still the drone stopped both times. The final time it lost signal it didn't recover. I had to load DJI Go 4 and fly home manually.

It's left me with a few questions:

- Does anyone else notice a weaker signal when using Autopilot as opposed to DJI GO 4 or Litchi?
- Do you set your Autopilot waypoint missions to continue after signal loss? Litchi does this, but if you do it with Autopilot you lose lots of the functionality that makes it unique.

I know Autopilot uses it's on SDK which is why it always needs a signal, but if the range is so dramatically reduced I think I'd pick Litchi over it most times, which is a shame.

I also don't like trusting RTH should the signal be lost, I'd far rather trust the rest of the waypoint mission I have carefully setup than leave the drone to find it's own way home.

What do you think?

The problems you mention are exactly the reason I don't use Autopilot.

Adding to those (...and contrary to Litchi...) it is a pain to build a mission on a portable device as their interface is graphically overloaded, prone to pop something up at the slightest touch on the wrong area in the screen (...and my screen is a small one, being an iPad Mini 2...)

They really should have a desktop version to pre-plan missions, as Litchi does, and take care of your mentioned inability to continue the mission if the signal is lost, while maintaining the ability to include bézier curves.

As it stands, it is a pity that the program I found most promising is actually the one I can't use.

MK

Reactions: Dragonfly and Pablo
I'm almost certain you can set Autopilot to continue the mission after signal loss.

The problems you mention are exactly the reason I don't use Autopilot.

Adding to those (...and contrary to Litchi...) it is a pain to build a mission on a portable device as their interface is graphically overloaded, prone to pop something up at the slightest touch on the wrong area in the screen (...and my screen is a small one, being an iPad Mini 2...)

They really should have a desktop version to pre-plan missions, as Litchi does, and take care of your mentioned inability to continue the mission if the signal is lost, while maintaining the ability to include bézier curves.

As it stands, it is a pity that the program I found most promising is actually the one I can't use.

MK

Yes. I agree with every word of this. It's a shame as I'm so excited to use it.

I think I will still persist with it, but I really liked the idea of long, smooth waypoint missions with bezier curves etc. and it seems I'm still better off using Litchi for that.

OK I'm having tons of problems with Autopilot already and absolutely hating it. :mad: Before I explain further, I want to check it's not my device. I'm using an iPad Mini 2, which I realise isn't on the supported list.

Has anyone else successfully used Autopilot with an iPad Mini 2 before?

I fly many missions with no RC signal, with both Litchi and Autopilot. When you fly return to home on signal loss with Autopilot, all processing is done from the app. You need a lot processing power for a smooth mission. What is your host device for the app? When you set continue mission with an Autopilot Waypoints mission, poi triggers start point must be on a waypoint. The mission has curved path and is loaded into the Mavic and the mission is executed by the Mavic. I find Autopilot very good at these missions. Litchi on the other hand will not change the gimbal pitch after signal is lost unless you have set straight lines. Litchi pauses at every waypoint that extends the mission time significantly. So account for this to ensure you have enough battery for the mission. I like Litchi user interface and when it has RC signal. For missions where you expect to loose signal Autopilot is first class. You can do far smother yawing with Autopilot.

If your device is not on the Autopilot device list you will have lots of problems. My iPhone 5 had no chance, my iPad Air 2 still did not have enough grunt. I finally got an iPhone 7 and flies signal mission without any problems

Reactions: Pablo
I fly many missions with no RC signal, with both Litchi and Autopilot. When you fly return to home on signal loss with Autopilot, all processing is done from the app. You need a lot processing power for a smooth mission. What is your host device for the app? When you set continue mission with an Autopilot Waypoints mission, poi triggers start point must be on a waypoint. The mission has curved path and is loaded into the Mavic and the mission is executed by the Mavic. I find Autopilot very good at these missions. Litchi on the other hand will not change the gimbal pitch after signal is lost unless you have set straight lines. Litchi pauses at every waypoint that extends the mission time significantly. So account for this to ensure you have enough battery for the mission. I like Litchi user interface and when it has RC signal. For missions where you expect to loose signal Autopilot is first class. You can do far smother yawing with Autopilot.

Strangely I'd say the opposite.

Litchi uses the DJI SDK so the flight is uploaded to the Mavic before the mission starts. If it loses signal (depending on the settings), it just carries on (apart from gimbal pitch).

Autopilot uses it's on SDK and runs direct from your device. So if the signal drops the drone just hovers. Unless you set it to continue, but as I understand it then most of the functionality that usually makes Autopilot so good is not available without a connection to the device.

That's as per the manual, but from my experience it's correct.

If your device is not on the Autopilot device list you will have lots of problems. My iPhone 5 had no chance, my iPad Air 2 still did not have enough grunt. I finally got an iPhone 7 and flies signal mission without any problems

Yes I think that seems the be the crux of the issue. I'm using an underpowered iPad Mini 2. I have been told they just can't handle Autopilot. It would make sense. It might not be the distance/signal that's the issue it's simply that the app is crashing after a certain amount of time under the processing strain.

I'll borrow my wife's iPhone 6 and check if that works and I might eventually upgrade to an iPad 4 Mini as I really want to use Autopilot properly.

...used Autopilot with an iPad Mini 2 before?

As AP uses it's own flightcontroller (i.e. iPad) it is recommended to use a powerful tablet. Even with my iPad mini 4 AP crashes sometimes.
With the iPad pro everything runs smooth...

I'll just throw in there another statement that, yeah, the Mini 2 won't work. I used an Air 1 and Mini 2 at first (same hardware as each other) and it was just useless. I loved the promise of AP but just felt frustrated all the time. It worked flawlessly on my iPhone 7+ but the smaller screen really hurt usability.

I just got an iPad 2017 and it now works perfectly. So far zero issues with about 20 missions flown on the new tablet, including lots of cruise mode and follow mode with airspace objects - those made things blow up instantly on my old tablets.

AP using its own flight controller means that it needs that higher end device, but it also means we can do amazing things with it that you can't do with the SDK alone. Check out the clip I just posted last night of my P4P following a P3 being flown by another Autopilot instance :) it was amazing how well it worked

I use Autopilot a lot (see a lot of my posts) and I understand your hesitation. I used to fly with an iPad 3 mini which is not recommendable. The iPhone 6S Plus is the minimum. I have now an iPad Pro and that works perfectly. Most issues I know now are hardware (mobile device) related. All the errors I had with my iPad mini are gone with the iPad Pro (9.7)

I'll just throw in there another statement that, yeah, the Mini 2 won't work. I used an Air 1 and Mini 2 at first (same hardware as each other) and it was just useless. I loved the promise of AP but just felt frustrated all the time. It worked flawlessly on my iPhone 7+ but the smaller screen really hurt usability.

I just got an iPad 2017 and it now works perfectly. So far zero issues with about 20 missions flown on the new tablet, including lots of cruise mode and follow mode with airspace objects - those made things blow up instantly on my old tablets.

AP using its own flight controller means that it needs that higher end device, but it also means we can do amazing things with it that you can't do with the SDK alone. Check out the clip I just posted last night of my P4P following a P3 being flown by another Autopilot instance :) it was amazing how well it worked

Thanks. And I watched your clip, it was pretty awesome :DThumbswayup

Oh and just to add i did use it with an iPhone 6 yesterday (still a bit underpowered i know), and it worked well.

My God did it drain the battery fast though! :eek:

Reactions: darana
OK I'm having tons of problems with Autopilot already and absolutely hating it. :mad: Before I explain further, I want to check it's not my device. I'm using an iPad Mini 2, which I realise isn't on the supported list.

Has anyone else successfully used Autopilot with an iPad Mini 2 before?

The iPad mini 2 is woefully underpowered

Reactions: Oyibo VFX
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AASHIANAPC