DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Awful underexposure artefacts

ReinisK

Reactions
Hey!

I've had the Mavic for about a week, and I'm still testing out everything, including the camera.
So I just came back from a flight with the Mavic, and found this awful footage -
I exposed for the sky and wanted to see, what would happen with the shadows. I didn't expect anything great, but I didn't expect this either.
Basically, the footage is unwatchable. The darker areas are so blurry, that it looks like a blur filter has been added. Not talking about bringing the shadows up, even bringing them down doesn't make the image better, the blur is just something unseen.
Has anyone else seen something like this?

This was shot at 4k 24p (first time I've tried it, usually shot UHD), art profile -1,-3,-1. Downscaled for youtube to 1080p, but at 4k it looks the same.

As far as I know, the h264 codec compresses the shadows a lot more than midtones or highlights, maybe that's the fault here, since big part of the shot is so much underexposed, but then again I've done it on other cameras and never seen something like this. Maybe D-log would have saved this shot? Or could it be a fault of 4k 24p mode?

Will do a test tomorrow again with different settings.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54