DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bad camera sensor

lucan

Reactions
Got my Mavic yesterday. This is my 5th DJI bird as well as Osmo. Straight out of the box the camera has a giant piece of dust right in the middle of the sensor. Bummer... Flew it 3 times.
Now I am waiting on DJI LA to open so I can start Jumping through their hoops.

You might just try tapping the camera sharply (while holding it)
With other small cameras which have inaccessible sensors this has worked for me a couple of times.
Something like a pencil flicked against the body I'm thinking.
With luck a loose speck will stay off the screen if it does seem to go away.

Reactions: lucan
thanks, but i want another unit... I spend way too much with DJI to be smacking around the camera... Have you seen one yet? The camera is frickin' tiny! my pinky nail covers it..Already started the process with DJI... I got it from a local authorized dealer and i'm hoping DJI allows me to just exchange it for a fresh unit... One can hope, anyway...

Got my Mavic yesterday. This is my 5th DJI bird as well as Osmo. Straight out of the box the camera has a giant piece of dust right in the middle of the sensor. Bummer... Flew it 3 times.
Now I am waiting on DJI LA to open so I can start Jumping through their hoops.
Isn't the glass lens cover removable? Not the plastic dome. Haven't heard anyone yet that has actually unscrewed it yet.

Get a balloon.. Rub it against your head. The friction will create a static dust magnet.

Reactions: lucan
Companies will just have to make slide on filters. I don't like them as much, but it'll get the job done.

Get a balloon.. Rub it against your head. The friction will create a static dust magnet.
*UPDATE* So it looks like there is a good size piece of dust or lint behind the first layer of glass...I will try your balloon idea. Thank you for that.
As far as I can tell, the glass is not removable, at least not by the average user. It appears to have some sort of retaining ring that prevents it from being removed.
No love from DJI.... At all. I'm getting the run around and a bunch of empty lip service. Most of the images and video are unusable due to the contamination...the dust is big enough that it is wreaking havoc with focusing.
Attached is a pic of the offending dust speck. Look very closely below the the aperture and slightly to the right between the first and second rings. Any other ideas I would like to hear them as sending it back at this point i may not see it again until Christmas or later.
IMG_4173.jpg

Does it affect your image? It looks like it might be outside the sensor field of view.

Does it affect your image? It looks like it might be outside the sensor field of view.

It's a bad sensor. There is a giant black speck in all images and video. I moved the dust with the balloon trick, but still have the black there. Good trick to remember for dust though..
DJI is horrible. I spent the last two days on the phone never getting a straight or consistent answer from multiple people there.

My dealer is exchanging it.

***UPDATE*** Dealer Exchanged with their Demo Unit until new stock arrives.
Thats Customer Service...

Last edited:
Reactions: Mako79
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada