DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Batteries on Flights - Hand Luggage

bmp

Reactions
Hi Everyone.

I have read quite a few posts on here about taking the Mavic on holiday. I am going to Portugal from the UK next week and am thinking about taking mine with me.

The other posts say about discharging the batteries to about 40 - 50%. Do you need to do this? If so why?

I also have the lipo safety bags for my spare batteries. Is it ok to leave the other battery in the Mavic or should I take that battery out and in a lipo bag too?

Thanks for any help.

BMP

Having the batteries undercharged is for fire safety.
It is recommended that all batteries be in a Limo safe bag in case of a fire.
Happy travels.

Thanks for that. Best buy an extra bag before I go then.

There are no requirements to discharge batteries before flying with them in your carry-on, this is part of the requirements for shipping them as cargo but not when carrying them personally.

Nor are the so called 'Lipo safe' bags a requirement or even a recommendation by the airlines or IATA. The recommendation is to transport the packs in their original retail packaging if possible, or cover the terminals with tape to prevent the change of shorting.

You must not pack them in your checked bags.

No harm at all in making sure they are not fully charged to reduce their energy levels, but it is not a requirement.

Feel free to use a Lipo bag if you want, but don't just put them loose in the bag where you can't see what is going on, make sure they can't short against each other.

Thanks for the advice. I have 2 bags already and was going to get an extra one anyway.

Still not sure if I am going to take it or not yet. Probably a bit nervous about taking it to be honest !!

This info is for Thomson kindly supplied by a member here,M4RK.
Note that Thomson require the batteries to be fully charged.It may be best to double check with your specific airline.

IMG_0885.PNG
IMG_0876.PNG

I expect you've already checked, but AFAIK, the rules for drone flights in Portugal are similar to the UK.

Stay in LoS, below 120m and away from build-up areas, public buildings, monuments, people etc.

If you have BMFA insurance cover then your public liability insurance is good for Portugal as well, from memory it is only the USA that you have to notify the BMFA about before flying. If your insurance is with someone else then check with them, if you have no insurance then good luck :)

This info is for Thomson kindly supplied by a member here,M4RK.
Note that Thomson require the batteries to be fully charged.It may be best to double check with your specific airline.

That advice dates back to when the airlines started asking people to prove their devices were 'working' by turning them on. So people were advised to ensure they were charged up so they could be shown to be working as expected.

Mostly this was for laptops, tablets, phones etc.

I suspect the 'fully' bit has slipped in by accident.

Thanks all for the great info...

I am flying with Easyjet - I have just emailed them to be on the safe side.

Reactions: scooot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ENJOYBIKE