DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Batteries...

Raptorman

Reactions
Usually, when DJI comes out with a new drone with new batteries it takes a while before you can buy additional batteries. I hope that doesn't happen with the Mavic as I plan to have 4 batteries to begin with and will likely add a few more down the road. So, how do other feel about additional batteries and how many do you plan to have?

The other thing battery related is that the capacity of the battery is listed at 43.6WHr and I have to imagine that many folks will be looking out for higher capacity batteries to increase flight time. A battery with 30% greater capacity should give about 20% to 25% greater endurance which could take the max flight time above 30 minutes and make 20 minutes a real comfortable time with good capacity at landing and maybe 25 minutes to 15% or 20% battery -- doable. My I1 Pro can get a maximum of about 17.5 minutes but that's draining the battery to zero so a more practical max flight time to, say, 15% to 20% battery, is about 14.5 minutes so getting 25 minutes to the same battery level would be sweet.

The other other thing is multi-battery chargers like the Smart Powercharge SPC4500 4-battery charger I use with my Inspire 1 -- given the much lower energy of each battery and a comparable recharge time a 4-battery charger should be a lot cheaper.

Brian

Reactions: Advexure
Just wanted to drop a comment regarding your statement about the availability of extra batteries with new DJI releases. You are very correct about the typical delay in battery availability. I would assume you most likely are referring to the delays in extra batteries after the release on the Inspire 1 since it looks like you have an Inspire as well. Is that correct?

Without a doubt, DJI has had some problems getting extra batteries available when the actual drones start shipping BUT we have seen these improve significantly. Especially with the Phantom 4 release last spring. With the Inspire 1 DJI was very new to shipping lithium batteries of that size. I'm not sure if you recall but the TB48's took foreevvverrrr because they had to be transported by sea due to the fact that it is very difficult and extremely costly to transport batteries in bulk that are above 100Wh.

The good thing is we've seen quite an improvement since that Inspire 1 battery debacle 2 years ago so we hope if there is any delay in extra battery availability it is very minimal. Fingers crossed!

I doubt there will be much demand for aftermarket Mavic batts. In the research I've done, aftermarket DJI style intelligent packs are not known for reliability and warranty is not valid if you have an issue while using them. Not to mention DJI has a pretty good track record of using good quality cells.

I doubt there will be much demand for aftermarket Mavic batts. In the research I've done, aftermarket DJI style intelligent packs are not known for reliability and warranty is not valid if you have an issue while using them. Not to mention DJI has a pretty good track record of using good quality cells.

Yes, very true regarding aftermarket batteries. I believe @Raptorman was simply referring to the availability of Extra Batteries from DJI (genuine batteries) and not any aftermarket batteries.

Yes, very true regarding aftermarket batteries. I believe @Raptorman was simply referring to the availability of Extra Batteries from DJI (genuine batteries) and not any aftermarket batteries.

Yeah, I have seven TB-48's and one TB-47 -- all DJI brand. I don't think I'd want to risk my bird to a Samsung Note 7 battery supplier. The incorporation is a micro controller in the battery to monitor all the cells and control charging and discharging to prevent over and under charging as well as the communications of that to the bird itself introduces an entry level cost that most battery makers will not want to make and that cost continues with firmware updates.

DJI has priced there batteries at a point where they're making money but not so high that third parties will be inclined to make the investment as mentioned before.

Brian

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twistedpair