DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery as carry on for flights?

Mavic_Ezra

Reactions
Hi,

My Mavic just got in and new to this forum :)

General question that popped in my head as I am traveling soon. In reading the manual, it states to make sure the battery is completely drained when packing it as a carry on.

Have others traveled with it on a full charged battery? Any risk with a fully charged battery?

I've traveled with batteries and I can't see any reason to have them charged up. I honestly can't remember if having a charge went against the airlines guidelines. When I land in country I'm more worried about making sure all my stuff got there with me and then getting to the hotel. I can charge the batteries upon my arrival as I'm not worried about flying right away.

I Travel about half the month for work, one of the reasons I got the mavic, it's traveled with me to every state and probably 5 countries not a single even question from any tsa or other security on the device since it usually travels in my laptop bag.

I guess because lithium batteries tend to be unstable , discharging it before flying adds some layer of protection from exploding, but I haven't had an issue yet with fully charged batteries. Other people might know the science in this better than I though to explain why.

I'm on United at the moment and depleted them to 10% just to be safe. My first flight with Mav.

You should always protect the terminals to avoid the possibility of a short, doesn't take much, you can tape over them and that is enough. If you are taking them loose I just pop them into individual ziplock bags, but if they are in a properly deigned case that isn't needed.

Do be aware of the special restrictions operating on flights from Egypt, Jordan and a few other countries to the USA and the UK. Right now there is no way to take drone batteries on those flights. They cannot go in the cabin or in the hold.

The airlines affected are responding in different ways to help with the situation, but you need to check with them for the specifics...

I'm on United at the moment and depleted them to 10% just to be safe. My first flight with Mav.
Were you worried about getting beaten and dragged of the plane? :p

All the passengers should of just walked off and made a statement after that incident. 4 seats? Have them all....

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters