DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery life (Sport / Normal GPS mode)

flabombarda

Reactions
Guys,

I was wondering if there is any difference on battery life when using Sport mode, comparing with the standard GPS mode (no-sport).

The reason I ask is basically because I noticed that most videos where people is testing long range flights like >7km they are NOT using Sport mode, so the Mavic goes about 50Km/h not 65Km/h could be achieved in optimal conditions in sport mode.
Are you aware about any consideration involving this 2 modes in terms of battery life ?

Thanks,

Reactions: SoapyGolem
Sport mode definately consumes more power. I roughly get minus 4-5 minutes on a flight were sport mode is on and i go full speed all over the place...

But I think the question as I understood it is more in reference to total
Distance traveled.

Can the mavic travel more distance in sport mode or p mode on a single battery?

If p mode is more efficient, why are all the long distance videos done in sport mode?

Reactions: flabombarda
Distance traveled.

If p mode is more efficient, why are all the long distance videos done in sport mode?

That's exactly what I aim with the question, but in fact what I see from most videos is they not using SPORT for long ranges.
I was wondering why :)

Distance traveled.

I will give it a try soon, didn't test it out very thoroughly.

It's much more a speed issue than a choice of mode I think. Theoretically, I think you should get more out off sport mode IF you fly at 15 MPH because certain features are turned off. Of course, I don't know if they are still using power. I think 15 MPH is the sweet spot for maximizing everything. Think "air resistance." The same holds true for cars, planes, helicopters, etc. I only use sport mode when I'm in a big hurry to get to a particular spot. I've had the battery really wonk out twice while pushing it in sport mode. Fortunately it bounced back once I switched back to normal mode.

Reactions: flabombarda
I´ll do a test next week when I come back.
So far, only used Sport mode, and the longest flight yet was 14:55minutes.

I usually don´t get more than 13minutes

I used pgps to to 4kms i started at 99 percent, i turhed st 4.1 kilos and 64 percent

I flew spirts mode back the whole 4 kms flat out and made it back with 15 percent

Of course there sre wind speed considerations

But on that run sport mode drained the battery at a much faster rate

Totalflight 8.2 kilos 17 mins flight

Hovered at landing spot one minute then it auto landed at 12 percent

In pgps only i can get 21 minutes flight with 25 percent left on landing

There is a big difference

Yes it does, but you only get 10% less travelled distance with Sports Mode.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929