DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery Limit on International Flights?

Spanishcop

Reactions
Hello Guys,

For those of you that travel... specifically international flights (SPAIN for example)... is there a limit of lithium batteries you are allowed to take?

I'm flying Delta Airline to Madrid, Spain. I spoke with Delta Airlines today just to make sure that I was okay to take my Mavic Pro and they checked with supervisors and researched it and advised me after a 10min hold that I was good to go and no problems with taking my Mavic Pro with me. They also stated they would make a note on my account to show this question was resolved and okay'd by a supervisor. After speaking with them another thought came to mind about limit of batteries.... looking for your input and experience.

From what I've read per TSA.... their policies state passengers are allowed up to larger lithium ion batteries (more than 8 grams, up to 25 grams of equivalent lithium content per battery). I was told a typical drone battery contains about 8 grams of lithium.

So my question is..... has anyone had any issues taking more than a couple batteries with them onboard?

I have a total of 4 batteries for my Mavic Pro which are in individual Lipo bags that are fire proof and I also have covers over the terminals. I'm wondering if it will be an issue to take all 4 batteries with me.

Thanks,
Mike

AFIAK the Mavic batteries are under the threshold for limits. You should be able to take as many onboard as you like, however this is determined by the airline you are flying with. Best thing to do is look at your carrier dangerous goods webpage or call them like you did.

I would not expect any issues with 4 batteries though.

AFIAK the Mavic batteries are under the threshold for limits. You should be able to take as many onboard as you like, however this is determined by the airline you are flying with. Best thing to do is look at your carrier dangerous goods webpage or call them like you did.

I would not expect any issues with 4 batteries though.

Thank you for the reply.

Yup already did that... Thanks

Hello Guys,

So my question is..... has anyone had any issues taking more than a couple batteries with them onboard?

Thanks,
Mike

Mike,

We just came back from a 2 weeks vacation to Costa Rica, we flew Delta from Los Angeles to CR round trip. I brought the Mavic on this trip, I have a total of 4 batteries. No issues whatsoever thru TSA at Los Angeles International Airport and no issues in Costa Rica boarding the Delta flight back to the States. I carry the Mavic in a little back pack I bought at Walmart, one battery was installed in the Aircraft the other batteries were in another compartment. I also have a DJI Osmo + , the batteries for the Osmo were in the same backpack, the device was in my carry-on with the battery installed.

At Los Angeles International the back pack went thru TSA's X-Ray machine fine, my wife's purse was pulled aside for additional screening. Her iPad made their machine light up like a Xmas tree.

Enjoy the trip.

Reactions: Rbruz
Hello Guys,
Went to Peru 2weeks ago. Brought 3 batteries and put them in a fire resistant bag. Also i drained the battery out for extra meaSures. No issues

For those of you that travel... specifically international flights (SPAIN for example)... is there a limit of lithium batteries you are allowed to take?

I'm flying Delta Airline to Madrid, Spain. I spoke with Delta Airlines today just to make sure that I was okay to take my Mavic Pro and they checked with supervisors and researched it and advised me after a 10min hold that I was good to go and no problems with taking my Mavic Pro with me. They also stated they would make a note on my account to show this question was resolved and okay'd by a supervisor. After speaking with them another thought came to mind about limit of batteries.... looking for your input and experience.

From what I've read per TSA.... their policies state passengers are allowed up to larger lithium ion batteries (more than 8 grams, up to 25 grams of equivalent lithium content per battery). I was told a typical drone battery contains about 8 grams of lithium.

I have a total of 4 batteries for my Mavic Pro which are in individual Lipo bags that are fire proof and I also have covers over the terminals. I'm wondering if it will be an issue to take all 4 batteries with me.

Thanks,
Mike

Just an update... Returned from Spain on June 12. Never had a single problem taking my drone, 4 batteries half charged and all the extras as carry-on. The only thing they asked to check was my extra set of propellers. When they saw the blades were not a risk, I was good to go. The blades were only checked once in my entire trip.

I flew with delta from Atlanta, Georgia to Madrid and Madrid to JFK.

All went well.

Hello Guys,

Thanks,
Mike

Take 5 all the time, backpack has them inside along with mavic, contoller ipad mini etc carry on never an issue Mexico several trips from US as well as Panama

What about purchasing new batteries i.e in the US and bringing them back to Australia would there be any issues if the batteries are still in the orignal packaging.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato