DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery overcurrent errors in sport mode

Dronebow

Reactions
While flying in sport mode the other day I got a weird error that I have not seen before. Battery Overcurrent on discharge. Has anyone seen this and what does it mean?
overcurrent error.jpg

Wow, that would scare the pants off me. Never had that, I'm assuming it's not enjoying delivering the extra power?

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Yeah, I was in Sport going full bore and when that popped up I immediately backed off and flew it back. It scared me too.. I was a mile out over heavy trees and a small lake... would have never found it....

When you run the bird hard, the battery may deliver to much current for it to safely handle. Back off on the throttle and let the battery cool while the bird still hovers, about 10 seconds. You should be fine.

Reactions: temptation
When you run the bird hard, the battery may deliver to much current for it to safely handle. Back off on the throttle and let the battery cool while the bird still hovers, about 10 seconds. You should be fine.
Is there any documentation about this or is this just the voice of experience??

DJI should really chime in on this one. Remember, the batteries themselves can get a firmware update and from the frequency of this error I'd say they are in need of one. I just got this error again and was not flying in Sport mode for more than 5 seconds in 55f degree weather.

Sent from my XT1650 using MavicPilots mobile app

Was anyone flying in cold (sub freezing) temps? LIPOs ability to deliver current drops exponentially as the temp hits and goes below freezing. Not sure what the trigger points are for this message but temperature while flying would be an interesting data point to see if it is related to the message.

There has been recorded (on this forum / YouTube) Mavic owners in cold weather flying and receiving this message and then the Mavic force landing and sometimes not in desirable places (like water).

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I, and many others, have experienced this error. For me, it only happens when I'm commanding full forward AND full up in sport mode. I can do either control individually without issue.

Weather was California cold....about 45-55 degrees.

As a workaround, I no longer do both controls at the same time.

Reactions: temptation
These become more frequent the older the battery gets. And knowing how DJI is, they probably program in a life span based on the number of time charged.

The Mavic has a bottom end voltage limit it requires to safely fly. Lets say the battery is 14.0 volts at 100%. Lets say the bottom limit is 11.0 volts. Now as you fly the voltage drains as you go along, and it drains it's fastest when flying full throttle forward and up at the same time. At this point the voltage supply is racing towards that 11.0 volts point. Now, just so happens, these batteries have a return voltage rate. Meaning a small draw or no draw on the volts, the overall voltage will begin climbing back towards the 14.0 direction. So, as others have mentioned, just let off full throttle some, and the warning should go away.

Last edited:
These become more frequent the older the battery gets. And knowing how DJI is, they probably program in a life span based on the number of time charged.

The Mavic has a bottom end voltage limit it requires to safely fly. Lets say the battery is 14.0 volts at 100%. Lets say the bottom limit is 11.0 volts. Now as you fly the voltage drains as you go along, and it drains it's fastest when flying full throttle forward and up at the same time. At this point the voltage supply is racing towards that 11.0 volts point. Now, just so happens, these batteries have a return voltage rate. Meaning a small draw or no draw on the volts the overall voltage will begin climbing back towards the 14.0 direction. So, as others have mentioned, just let off full throttle some, and the warning should go away.
Hmm.. I bet I have less than 5 charges on each battery so if this is what is referred to as the "older a battery gets" that does not make me happy....

Reactions: larkin
Hmm.. I bet I have less than 5 charges on each battery so if this is what is referred to as the "older a battery gets" that does not make me happy....

Unfortunately, this is just how it is. And even worse is not long ago we discovered that dji is now know to program the batteries to appear to drain faster then they actually do, and appear to not last as long as they actually do. Once they finally got the P3P & P3A's to the level they felt good about, they then turned to the Smart Battery. Prior to this, these batteries lasted a long time and looked like we get 300 flights/charges out of them easily. Their 1st attempt at programming the batteries resulted in large numbers of P3's dropping out of the sky. Each firmware update after that the battery performance went down hill. Some examples were, when the battery had 3.5 volts remaining, that had it displaying 3.0 volts. Or when the battery displayed say 70% it actually was at 83%. These are the things that make someone not happy. Btw, they also set the firmware to not accept aftermarket batteries as well. The list goes on....

Reactions: Tylergalloway
Scares me a lot, but flying sport mode while recording in 4K in strong winds it's not uncommon for me to see this error with relatively young batteries. If you back off the throttles for a moment it should come back to normal and everything will be OK. There are a few good threads on this topic if you hunt for them.

"Battery Error" - "Over Current Discharge" Warnings in Flight!

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...share_tid=6660&share_fid=1514257&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Could be Voltage Sag. Probably temporarily hits a preset limit DJI have set for it. All LiPo's behave like this under stress.

Or maybe a preset current limit is hit. Maybe the batteries aren't high enough C discharge rating to cope with hard up and hard forward simultaneously in sports mode. Maybe your battery is defective or underperforming. Could also be temp related in the environment you're flying in.

Loads of reasons.

While flying in sport mode the other day I got a weird error that I have not seen before. Battery Overcurrent on discharge. Has anyone seen this and what does it mean?
View attachment 7271
Latest firmware?? Mine is latest firmware and I got this warning also when I was gassing it on sports mode. Temp that day was 20Celcius and I think high altitude lower temps has some correlation.
The warning seems to be there to prevent voltage spikes that can cause the drone to drop from the skies.

Based on my experience , this is not true. I had this happen , the battery had only around 10 charge cycles.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929