DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery powered battery charger

DomoDan

Reactions
So...I have a 10,000 mah battery pack that I carry around with me most of the time...it has two USB ports on it and can charge any device I may have with me which is charged over USB.

I'm looking for something similar that can charge the Mavic batteries. I've got 3 batteries, but would love a power bank that could charge each of those batteries one so that I could effectively get 6 flights out of 3 batteries without having a power source other than what I carried in with me. Does anyone know if something like this exists?

Something like this (Amazon.com: EXSPORT DJI Mavic Pro Battery Charger 5 In 1 Smart Multi Battery Intelligent Charging Hub Rapid Battery Charger for DJI Mavic Pro: Toys & Games) except it charges that Mavic batteries with its own internally battery instead of powering them from a wall outlet.

Reactions: SAINT
So...I have a 10,000 mah battery pack that I carry around with me most of the time...it has two USB ports on it and can charge any device I may have with me which is charged over USB.

I'm looking for something similar that can charge the Mavic batteries. I've got 3 batteries, but would love a power bank that could charge each of those batteries one so that I could effectively get 6 flights out of 3 batteries without having a power source other than what I carried in with me. Does anyone know if something like this exists?

Something like this (Amazon.com: EXSPORT DJI Mavic Pro Battery Charger 5 In 1 Smart Multi Battery Intelligent Charging Hub Rapid Battery Charger for DJI Mavic Pro: Toys & Games) except it charges that Mavic batteries with its own internally battery instead of powering them from a wall outlet.
Omnicharge 20 is the only one....if you want to use the 5-in-1 charger

Get a large 12 volt Lithium Iron Phosphate battery and an Inverter to power the five in one. Might as well make a whole bunch of heat.

I guess a power bank may charge the batteries but I'm pretty sure that it will take a lot longer than you think....

I am pretty certain that it would take so long to charge a Mavic battery that it would not be charged by the time you had finished flying on your other batteries.

I have 2x160 watt solar panels plus 2 deep cycle batteries in my Campervan. I can use the car charger to charge them. Also have a small inverter that can run the mains charger.
I don't believe there is a viable solution if you want to be on foot out hiking etc.
For something to have enough power to charge the batteries it would have to quite large and heavy.
Better to buy an extra few batteries.

Reactions: TTFullTimer
Yeah...I nearly bought the Omnicharge 20 when it was on Kickstarter, but that was before my Mavic days and I rarely had instances where I was out and about and needed to charge something that couldn't be charged over USB. I should have snagged then as $300 is a chunk for such a convenience. Before I spent $300 I'd just buy more batteries.

I also didn't consider how long the Omnicharge might take....

Reactions: TTFullTimer
A 20 amp hour 12 volt battery from Bioenno weighs 13 pounds. An inverter to power a charger lets guesstimate at 5 pounds. The charger a pound or two. So for poops and grins 20 pounds. If you want to lug it fine. Three extra batteries will cost a lot less that that 20 pound bundle and will not weigh more than a few pounds. When I was investigating RC as a hobby, I got a decent sky charger for LiPo and powered it with my Bioenno batteries since that was a better option than buying a power supply for it. Once I decided on getting into RC I bought a very good LiPo charger that plugs into the wall. The Mavic charger does a good job of charging batteries one at a time in sequence. Can plug in all four of mine and one after the other they are charged.

A 20 amp hour 12 volt battery from Bioenno weighs 13 pounds. An inverter to power a charger lets guesstimate at 5 pounds. The charger a pound or two. So for poops and grins 20 pounds. If you want to lug it fine. Three extra batteries will cost a lot less that that 20 pound bundle and will not weigh more than a few pounds. When I was investigating RC as a hobby, I got a decent sky charger for LiPo and powered it with my Bioenno batteries since that was a better option than buying a power supply for it. Once I decided on getting into RC I bought a very good LiPo charger that plugs into the wall. The Mavic charger does a good job of charging batteries one at a time in sequence. Can plug in all four of mine and one after the other they are charged.

Right...I do that at home and it works great. I was just wondering if anyone had a self contained solution they could take with them to remote places. Sounds like more batteries is the way to go. I could fit 2 more...maybe 3 more in my FlyMore bag if I really wanted to.

Smatree are working on one. Charges two at a time with enough capacity to fully charge 4 batteries. Should be out in a couple of months at approx USD100

Omnicharge 20 is the only one....if you want to use the 5-in-1 charger
Not the ONLY one ...

For example this gives you 32% more power at 38% less money ($185 / 27,000 mAh) than the Omnicharge 20 ($299 / 20,400 mAh):
Portable Power Outlet, Battery Charger, Inverter | ChargeTech

Edited to add:
They even have a bigger power supplies at $349 (42,000 mAh) and $369 (54,000 mAh).

For comparison, the Mavic Pro battery is 3,830 mAh.

Last edited:
Not the ONLY one ...

For example this gives you 32% more power at 38% less money ($185 / 27,000 mAh) than the Omnicharge 20 ($299 / 20,400 mAh):
Portable Power Outlet, Battery Charger, Inverter | ChargeTech

Edited to add:
They even have a bigger power supplies at $349 (42,000 mAh) and $369 (54,000 mAh).

For comparison, the Mavic Pro battery is 3,830 mAh.

Yes it is. There's more to it than mah

There needs to be enough continuous wattage out to charge 3 batteries simultaneously.... and continuous wattage is different than peak wattage. A lot of these chargers only give their "peak" stat.

I have personally tested the model you posted and alos the RAVPower 100w ac charger. They turn off a few minutes into the charge like your breaker box getting blown.

The omnicharge 20 is the only ac charger that's been tested successfully at simultaneously charging 3 batteries. This has been covered extensively on RCGROUPS

Last edited:
I don't need to charge them simultaneously. One at a time is fine...charging two would be great, but not necessary.

Yes it is. There's more to it than mah

There needs to be enough continuous wattage out to charge 3 batteries simultaneously.... and continuous wattage is different than peak wattage. A lot of these chargers only give their "peak" stat.

I have personally tested the model you posted and alos the RAVPower 100w ac charger. They turn off a few minutes into the charge like your breaker box getting blown.

The omnicharge 20 is the only ac charger that's been tested successfully at simultaneously charging 3 batteries. This has been covered extensively on RCGROUPS
While he linked the blue charger as an example, he didn't specify that he wanted to plug that device in to the battery. You could easily use the OEM charger with the battery that I linked.

If you want 3 batteries to charge simultaneously, you'll actually need more than 100W continuous. Each battery requires 13V at 4.5A = 58.5W. Multiply by 3 gets you 175.5W continuous. Not sure exactly how the Omnicharge will do it, but if it does at some lower speed, then that's great.

Still, that's not the ONLY external charger that can do that. Here's a Yeti that will give 300W continuous and 400W peak.
Amazon.com: Goal Zero Yeti 400 Portable Power Station: Patio, Lawn & Garden

While he linked the blue charger as an example, he didn't specify that he wanted to plug that device in to the battery. You could easily use the OEM charger with the battery that I linked.

If you want 3 batteries to charge simultaneously, you'll actually need more than 100W continuous. Each battery requires 13V at 4.5A = 58.5W. Multiply by 3 gets you 175.5W continuous. Not sure exactly how the Omnicharge will do it, but if it does at some lower speed, then that's great.

Still, that's not the ONLY external charger that can do that. Here's a Yeti that will give 300W continuous and 400W peak.
Amazon.com: Goal Zero Yeti 400 Portable Power Station: Patio, Lawn & Garden

The Yeti you posted will work if size isn't an issue.... but then again so would a gasoline generator

I don't need to charge them simultaneously. One at a time is fine...charging two would be great, but not necessary.

Many of the ac power banks will be able to charge 2 (but not 3) simultaneously. Just try to get one with the most continuous (not peak) wattage and around at least 20,000 mah

FYI 3 batteries and 1 usb (@ 2a) pulls 128 watts:
RC Groups - View Single Post - Official DJI Mavic ***Owner and Developer'sThread***
So the usb was probably near 10 watts (2a x 5v= 10 watts)
3 batteries take 118w... so around 39/40 watts needed per battery

Last edited:

I make such a device for off the grid applications and have been testing with the Mavic charging system for months now and it seems to work great for it. This is my prototype that I have been using and its very compact but does weigh a little to carry long distance but works well charging and powering all types of things off the grid. It will charge 5 batteries and will charge other USB devices as well. So if you like to go and Video and take photos somewhere and need more time with out being hooked up to your car this would be the answer. Off Road Utilities "Power Station" . I am in the process of making a modified version with multimeter display that will tell you voltage and amps being used and water resistant. My site is not up yet work in progress.

Attachments

• IMG_7656.JPG
    IMG_7656.JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_7658.JPG
    IMG_7658.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_7669.JPG
    IMG_7669.JPG
    156.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_7671.JPG
    IMG_7671.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 32
I make such a device for off the grid applications and have been testing with the Mavic charging system for months now and it seems to work great for it. This is my prototype that I have been using and its very compact but does weigh a little to carry long distance but works well charging and powering all types of things off the grid. It will charge 5 batteries and will charge other USB devices as well. So if you like to go and Video and take photos somewhere and need more time with out being hooked up to your car this would be the answer. Off Road Utilities "Power Station" . I am in the process of making a modified version with multimeter display that will tell you voltage and amps being used and water resistant. My site is not up yet work in progress.

Any chance you want to sell a prototype?

Any chance you want to sell a prototype?
Sure can, I sale my goodies all the time mostly to venders. PM me your number and we can talk if you like, or text me. I am soon going to put a full spread on here on the specs and what it can do for all Drone nuts like my self.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mavic 3 classic User