Bay Area Pilots Sound Off

Discussion in 'Northwest USA' started by APEX^ZERO, Oct 29, 2016.

1. sonof40

sonof40 Well-Known Member

Subscribed. P3A and P3P, waiting for the MP. East Bay.

kendegg likes this.
  2. Retoxx

Retoxx Member

Hello Bay Area Mavic Pilots! Just checking in as a new Mavic owner myself!

Pleasanton / Santa Clara - South Bay, and anywhere I can fly my Mavic!!

Where did you see that Drones were banned in state parks? I've not flown my Mavic in a state park yet, but have had zero problems flying my hobby grade Quadcopters in them...

https://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/937/files/csp_uas.pdf

I've researched it a lot, and only Wilderness Areas, Natural Preserves, and Cultural Preserves have the no-drone policy, as it turns out a lot of the parks fall into this category, or they encompass areas that fall into these categories, so that is how they get a lot of the "No Fly" zones... you just have to research the park ahead of time, and a lot of parks have a number to call and ask before you bother driving out. It's really not too hard.

Anyway, Hope to see everyone up in the sky!!
    - Retoxx (Brandon)

kendegg and sonof40 like this.
  3. ghostrider215

ghostrider215 Member

Greetings from Alamo, CA! Got my Mavic a week ago and been taking small steps practicing my flying. I am still amazed how much technology is packed into this small drone! Can't wait to take Epic footage in the hills!

Retoxx likes this.
  4. colonel00

colonel00 Active Member

I'm a transplant here working in Milpitas for a few more months. I'd love to meet up and talk to others. I fly in a little cleared area by my apartment but mostly just to try stuff out and play around. Only place I have found to fly far is over on the coast. I've been wanting to get over to Henry Coe but haven't yet. It would be fun to get out there and fly and hike and maybe camp a night if anyone is interested.

Retoxx likes this.
  5. colonel00

colonel00 Active Member

I've gone over to the parks to the east of Milpitas in the hills and they all have signs saying no drones. One is the Ed R. Levin park (even though they have a space for hang gliding) and the other is the Sierra Vista Preserve. I also like to go over to the Alviso Marina Park to watch the ducks and other wildlife but drones are banned there as well.

Retoxx likes this.
  6. Retoxx

Retoxx Member

I work less than a mile from the Alviso Marina Park. Yes, any Wetlands and wildlife sanctuary or preserves are no-fly zones, as beautiful as they are, we have to respect the birds that live there before we came along.

Just west along 237, is the Baylands Park, there is an approved flight zone there, but it is semi-surrounded by the wetlands preserve, and so you have to watch where you fly, but with gps on the mavic, that's a simple task!

I hope to branch out and explore the "flyable" area more, I will definitely let you know what I find!

Does this forum support private messages? If so, send me one, and I'll let you know the areas I'm looking at so far. It would be cool to fly them with someone. :)

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

7. colonel00

colonel00 Active Member

I can't seem to find any PM's per se but I did start a "conversation" with you so hopefully you see that.

Yeah, I totally get why Alviso is off limits and I appreciate the fact that they do it there. If any places should be off limits for wildlife it should be preserves and refuges where birds congregate. Plus, you are just asking for a bird strike at some point with all the ducks, gulls and everything else flying around.

Retoxx likes this.