DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bay Area Pilots Sound Off

Subscribed. P3A and P3P, waiting for the MP. East Bay.
Edit: P3A, MP

Last edited:
Reactions: kendegg
Hello Bay Area Mavic Pilots! Just checking in as a new Mavic owner myself!

Pleasanton / Santa Clara - South Bay, and anywhere I can fly my Mavic!!

Where did you see that Drones were banned in state parks? I've not flown my Mavic in a state park yet, but have had zero problems flying my hobby grade Quadcopters in them...

https://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/937/files/csp_uas.pdf

I've researched it a lot, and only Wilderness Areas, Natural Preserves, and Cultural Preserves have the no-drone policy, as it turns out a lot of the parks fall into this category, or they encompass areas that fall into these categories, so that is how they get a lot of the "No Fly" zones... you just have to research the park ahead of time, and a lot of parks have a number to call and ask before you bother driving out. It's really not too hard.

Anyway, Hope to see everyone up in the sky!!
- Retoxx (Brandon)

Greetings from Alamo, CA! Got my Mavic a week ago and been taking small steps practicing my flying. I am still amazed how much technology is packed into this small drone! Can't wait to take Epic footage in the hills!

Reactions: Retoxx
I'm a transplant here working in Milpitas for a few more months. I'd love to meet up and talk to others. I fly in a little cleared area by my apartment but mostly just to try stuff out and play around. Only place I have found to fly far is over on the coast. I've been wanting to get over to Henry Coe but haven't yet. It would be fun to get out there and fly and hike and maybe camp a night if anyone is interested.

Hello Bay Area Mavic Pilots! Just checking in as a new Mavic owner myself!

Pleasanton / Santa Clara - South Bay, and anywhere I can fly my Mavic!!

Where did you see that Drones were banned in state parks? I've not flown my Mavic in a state park yet, but have had zero problems flying my hobby grade Quadcopters in them...

https://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/937/files/csp_uas.pdf

I've researched it a lot, and only Wilderness Areas, Natural Preserves, and Cultural Preserves have the no-drone policy, as it turns out a lot of the parks fall into this category, or they encompass areas that fall into these categories, so that is how they get a lot of the "No Fly" zones... you just have to research the park ahead of time, and a lot of parks have a number to call and ask before you bother driving out. It's really not too hard.

Anyway, Hope to see everyone up in the sky!!
- Retoxx (Brandon)

I've gone over to the parks to the east of Milpitas in the hills and they all have signs saying no drones. One is the Ed R. Levin park (even though they have a space for hang gliding) and the other is the Sierra Vista Preserve. I also like to go over to the Alviso Marina Park to watch the ducks and other wildlife but drones are banned there as well.

I've gone over to the parks to the east of Milpitas in the hills and they all have signs saying no drones. One is the Ed R. Levin park (even though they have a space for hang gliding) and the other is the Sierra Vista Preserve. I also like to go over to the Alviso Marina Park to watch the ducks and other wildlife but drones are banned there as well.

I work less than a mile from the Alviso Marina Park. Yes, any Wetlands and wildlife sanctuary or preserves are no-fly zones, as beautiful as they are, we have to respect the birds that live there before we came along.

Just west along 237, is the Baylands Park, there is an approved flight zone there, but it is semi-surrounded by the wetlands preserve, and so you have to watch where you fly, but with gps on the mavic, that's a simple task!

I hope to branch out and explore the "flyable" area more, I will definitely let you know what I find!

Does this forum support private messages? If so, send me one, and I'll let you know the areas I'm looking at so far. It would be cool to fly them with someone. :)

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I can't seem to find any PM's per se but I did start a "conversation" with you so hopefully you see that.

Yeah, I totally get why Alviso is off limits and I appreciate the fact that they do it there. If any places should be off limits for wildlife it should be preserves and refuges where birds congregate. Plus, you are just asking for a bird strike at some point with all the ducks, gulls and everything else flying around.

Greetings just joined! Duh.

I too, am really looking for some good sites to fly and learn to fly my Mavic better. Here in Menlo Park, all parks are BANNED for drones, Mountain View seems to be the same and Palo Alto, forget it. I might try Baylands Park but that is a bit of a hike. I really just want to try out all the AI features for an upcoming trip, but finding a suitable place to fly is challenging. Even an open parking lot down by Shoreline amp, city truck rolls up and says "no drone flying!" leave now or I'm going to site you. I had been there about 10 minutes, flying about 100 ft in the air, NOBODY was nearby there wasn't even another car in the lot at 10:00 on a Thursday morning. No Birds, no geese, nothing.

Anyway, any tips for available flight areas around this area would be great and very much appreciated!

Reactions: kika
IMG_0230.PNG I'm in San Jose flying all over the place. Henry Coe will be amazing in a few weeks! I was just at the beach in Aptos near the cement ship SS Palo Alto. There were three other Mavic Pros filming it!

There was a park ranger there saying that it was in the works to try and ban drones from all CA state parks but she said they'd probably leave some leeway up to the different counties. As of now, it is legal to fly. I'll see if I can find out how to give some positive opinions about drones to the CA parks.

I've been to a few meetups at Baylands. A lot of planes buzzing around though.

Just got my Mavic this past Thursday. I'm in SF proper and have really been enjoying flying this thing.

Reactions: kendegg
Here was the reply to me when I asked if I could fly at Henry Coe. The answers is clear, but the reason cited doesn't seem to apply. You might want to ask again if you go there. They have bike rangers all over that park.

This was an email response from Info.parks.ca.gov:

Currently we are not allowing drone use at Henry Coe State Park. It is possible that may change in the future. Please refer to the California Code of Regulations statute below.

Thank you.

§ 4319. Games and Recreational Activities.

No person shall engage in games or recreational activities that endanger the safety of persons, property, resources, or interfere with visitor activities except as permitted by the Department. No person shall hold, sponsor, lead, or otherwise have control over a game or recreational activity occurring wholly or partially within or on any property owned, operated or administered by the Department without an approved Special Event permit if any of the criteria set forth in section 4301(j) apply.

I would love to have the name of the person who decided to apply this 3-year-old rule to drones.
Just to have a conversation.
We off-road drivers have been battling this same mentality for years. Our groups clean up and maintain trails and conduct Tread Lightly classes and are still accused of damaging the environment.

Just joined from Vacaville, CA Flying my new Mavic Pro. Accessories are hard to order but I did manage to get two extra batteries and a charging hub from Fry's. Any idea about where to score a good case?

I really like flying up off Skyline Blvd. There are areas that are heavily patrolled by Rangers, which is super annoying because those open spaces are great for flying, but the State Parks have banned drone flying. Some of the Regional Parks allow it, but the Rangers still like to say no. I could probably challenge them about the legalities of it, but usually I don't have the energy to argue with them. And I appreciate nature and the parks a lot, so I respect them anyway.

But there's a lot of good spots up there. And the further deep you go into nature, the higher chance to will see great stuff without people.

Flying off the coast is nice, but again, some areas are illegal. Lots of NFZ in this state. Super disappointing.

There use to be a park in Menlo Park that was nice to fly at, but all the locals decided to complain about it, and then the city banned drone flying in all of their parks. It's legal to fly over their homes at 400feet, but illegal to fly in empty parks. Go figure. People have their priorities wrong.

A friend of mine flies over the sloughs and water channels in Foster City almost daily. I've been meaning to get over there on a sunny day because it's pretty, and he's had no problems flying there (even with the proximity to San Carlos Airport).
You ever go to Treasure Island and fly? I never have problems there.

Just joined from Vacaville, CA Flying my new Mavic Pro. Accessories are hard to order but I did manage to get two extra batteries and a charging hub from Fry's. Any idea about where to score a good case?
Got one from Amazon. Made by HobbyTiger. $49.00. No it's not carbon fiber, but looks durable and everything fits like a glove. The controller fits without tweaking joysticks. Room for two xtra batteries, charger, and various sundry items.

I saw one on Ebay that was aluminium with locks. Form fitted foam, but it's coming from China and I won't get it until mid May. Wanted to order from the states.

New Mavic Pro owner here from San Jose (Cambrian area). I'm currently testing and flying over my neighborhood. So far nobody complained yet and I'm following all the rules. But definitely looking for some more scenic locations in the area to go.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wlochaty