DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Be free like a bird

Lone Wolf 58

Reactions
Be free like a bird become an outlaw. They don't pass no fly rules against birds. Why is that. Is it because they were there first or is it that their suppose to be a dumb animal and won't follow our man made laws. Hell we don't shut down airports when we see a bird flying around the jets on the tarmac. But oh my god, see a UAV within 5 miles of a airport and everyone freaks out.

Hell most pilots believe they aren't allowed to fly within 5 miles of a airport at all. So they don't. Shame they are allowed. My airport doesn't even want me to call anymore as long as I follow the rules and use common sense. And I do. Hell its even a air national guard airport and I have those huge cargo jets flying maneuvers all the time in the evenings. When their up in the air I'm not. Simple common sense. They fly very low, seems like just above the tree tops but I know they are at around a 1000 ft. I won't fly above 200 due to them.

My point to this rant. Become an outlaw. Keep the laws in mind and use common sense. If you want to fly and you think it's safe that your actions won't infringe or hurt someone else go for it. There are plenty of a holes out there to keep the law busy. Just to go on record. I'm against DJI transmitting our information out when we fly. Remember I love my country but distrust my government. Ex army vet.

Fly fly fly and fight tyranny we're ever it is.

I understand your point Lone Wolf. Your key words "Keep the laws in mind and use common sense"

I agree totally with everything you say, doesnt matter where in the world we live. We also have to remember that "common sense" these days, are not as common as it used to be. Safe flying :)

Reactions: Rnl
It's a fine line to balance. Following rules means you're less likely to end up with new and more severe regulations. My original Phantom could fly in NFZ. Was I an idiot that flew a block away from an airport? no. I flew under 50 feet around my apartment complex. I was super excited that I got a new toy and I wanted to try it. With the Mavic, I literally had to drive out of town to use it (I live near the DC NFZ). I once again only intended to use it low and slow around my apartment complex, but physically could not use it.

I get where it comes from. No matter how many responsible hobbyists there are, there are idiots with money that will ruin it for everyone else. When Casey Neistat got a P4P the first thing he did was fly it as far as he could out of LOS, and seemed to rely 100% on the fact that it would sort out what to do. Granted it did fly itself back, but that kind of zero-preparation "I can do whatever I want" attitude is why regulations get put up in the first place.

I honestly believe you should have to pass both a physical and knowledge test before being allowed to buy a quad. You need a license to drive a car or ride a motorcycle. In the wrong hands, this could damage property, or hurt/kill someone in extreme cases. I have some friends that just cannot grasp the mindset of how to fly these things, and I personally wouldn't trust them owning one until they had practiced enough to prove they were capable with it.

Birds don't like airplanes and are really good at avoiding them in the air. They use their skill and instincts.
A drone uses its controller.
Worse skill and worse instincts.
Pretty simple.
Stay away from airplanes.

Well, I've posted enough (and had enough of my posts deleted) for everyone to know by now where I stand on the matter. You're absolutely right lone wolf, I love my country but distrust my government. Though sadly I have to say despite having served my country, I feel as though I have to find somewhere else to live the rest of my life out. The direction this country continues to head ::: sigh::: but, that's neither here nor there. An argument can be made for and against government licensing for vehicles and the like. My rights do not exist but for the good graces of my government. As much as I would enjoy black and white, even I have to admit there's a very wide expanse of gray between them. Cars cannot be compared to these drones though.

I will continue to contend that regulations and restrictions are not born as much from actions of the few as much as they are a government that insists on convincing its people that without them the people simply could not survive. I see first hand more than most that common sense isn't so common and I do not know what the answer is because as my wife so often says to me in exasperation, not everyone sees things the way I do. I do know for certain however that common sense cannot be legislated and you cannot educate people on matters they don't care to be educated on. Fear based reactions are the new norm and I'm confident they will be the rule for a long time to come.

Reactions: Clinton1
@DSGDSG Definitely agree with some points there. Actually, considering how easily "fear legistlation" could have been utilized for drones, I'm surprised there wasn't more of. It gets me thinking of things like the airport scanners (especially the ones for leaving). What has that really prevented? it's just a tax burden and hassle for us. I can almost say okay to the screeners when you go through. But if you have not yet been to one of the airports that has the "exit pods" (Syracuse NY was the first to get them), it honestly just feels like a silly control, "your government is making you safe".

I get annoyed by the blanket ban in certain areas, but I must say, for something that you could easily spin as "scary" to the general public, so far I think people are accepting UAVs decently well

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54