DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Became more complicated than fun... Sold it!

Totally get it. I actually took mine back to the shop to get my money back. On a whim i got a replacement just in case I had a faulty one... Well it turned out to be an issue with the camera... but not so bad it was terrible or obvious, just enough so I felt the issue was me because sometimes it worked and sometimes didnt. (it was a blur issue on the edges)

I recommend anyone who is still unhappy after a couple of weeks struggling with settings, consider it might actually not be you....

I have had my mavic four 2 months now and had no problems as yet.
Me and my five year old son love getting out and about flying it. I am just wondering what sort of problems were they and should I expect the same issues in the near future?
Regards
Sean
I don't think you should expect problems but it's good to be aware of common issues and how to react.

I have a different experience than OP.

I don't fly Mavic with a phone or tablet, just controller. I love the simplicity of it. Nothing like my Inspire. Quick to charge, quick to set up, quick to pack, unpack, easy to travel with. I fly nearly every day when I get home.

The best product from the best company. Absolutely got my $1,300 worth.

I've never flown my Mavic without a tablet or goggles. Wow, there are many times I'd like to just go for a quick, simple LOS flight and this is the answer. Ok, now I'm going to get into my shiny new Corvette and go fly. Wait, I don't have a shiny new Corvette...

I've always wanted to see a seaport from the top, and this little fella let me do just that, at an affordable price. I would not want to part with it, unless someone pays me double for it......than I will go buy another one.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170413-105830.png
    Screenshot_20170413-105830.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Reactions: EJay and mcvaughan
Wow, the best thing about the Mavic is find new features every day.
My suggestion: But a Kite, but those with only one string !!!!

... more NFZ everyday, increasingly tight laws ...

All other things aside, the NFZ and law doesn't change because you use another drone??? The only thing is that DJI helps enforce the rules, not a bad idea.

The only thing is that DJI helps enforce the rules, not a bad idea.
Who help the traffic rules of our cities getting better? The cars or the drivers?
I guess the rules are getting tight because all those irresponsible flights and crashes we see everyday on YouTube IMO.

Wow, the best thing about the Mavic is find new features every day.
That's another point. Why so many new features with so many bugs to fix? See all the firmware discussions here.

The MP is my first REAL drone (not counting those small, indoor types), and I can't say it's been difficult. There is a learning curve associated with flying, but I'm taking it one step at a time. I'm reading and watching videos to improve my skills. Learning, IMO, is the fun part.

Reactions: ed1nh0
I think too many people watched a spectacular video of a drone and thought ... I'd like one of those toys, and didn't realize that it was a significantly computerized flying machine. Those of us who have known and been around the RC plane world for a few years see the Mavic as "a piece of cake" compared to the learning process and challenges of flying an RC plane. The Mavic is so safe and informative, compared to them....I love how simple and interactive the app and machine are!!

The MP is my first REAL drone (not counting those small, indoor types), and I can't say it's been difficult. There is a learning curve associated with flying, but I'm taking it one step at a time. I'm reading and watching videos to improve my skills. Learning, IMO, is the fun part.
Totally agree. 1

I think too many people watched a spectacular video of a drone and thought ... I'd like one of those toys, and didn't realize that it was a significantly computerized flying machine. Those of us who have known and been around the RC plane world for a few years see the Mavic as "a piece of cake" compared to the learning process and challenges of flying an RC plane. The Mavic is so safe and informative, compared to them....I love how simple and interactive the app and machine are!!
Totally agree. 2

Dont get me wrong i hate all the updates and law changes but this is coming from a newbie this is my first drone ever and after lots of youtube and forum reading ive never doughted my mavic flying it 2-3 miles away and even if i lose it i bought state farm insurance so if i lose it or crash it getting a free one

I'm sorry to hear that. They can be of use in the right circumstances. I have 3, the P3Pro, the Mavic Pro and the Phantom4 Pro and I must say I enjoy the Phantom 4 Pro more than the Mavic by a long shot. Had I known I would use the Phantom 4 Pro a lot more than the Mavic I probably wouldn't have bought it either. I like the Phantom 4 Pro much more than the Mavic. With the constant pain in the neck of seeing sunlight in the video and the propeller blades in the video, I barely use mine at all anymore.

Perhaps I'm just not using it correctly.

Bud

Finally got tired of all the cryptic software/firmware and set-up options.

Sold it! Glad to be rid of it!!

Hope y'all have a more enjoyable time with your Mavics than I experienced.

Last edited:
HA!!

Just celebrated the 43rd anniversary of our first date!

Relative to my experience of the Mavic... my first quad was (is) a Blade 350 QX3 which I fly mostly FPV. I'm no photographer nor am I interested in videography. So, for me the fun is in the flying.

Now I understand you! If you are not into videography then why mavic? This is drone for videomakers.
I also fly FPV racing drones and the fun with mavic is not even close to this! Mavic in sports mode lets you fly just 65kph. And my micro 130mm drone with 3" props goes 85kph! There is no acro mode and FPV on mavic has quite big latency.
I have fun with mavic cos it produces nice video and I am able to control the drone and camera by myself. And it is more portable then my 130mm drone with big transmitter, goggles and tons of batteries :)

Finally got tired of all the cryptic software/firmware and set-up options.

Sold it! Glad to be rid of it!!

I can identify strongly with your sentiments.

DJI drones might be ready to fly and virtually maintenance free but with SW & FW updates being released every other week and tablets and phones being made obsolete from one day to the next along with the worry of a quad that may not find its way home, a Mavic can be a bundle of work, frustrations and worry.

Then comes all the setting-up to get the best shot with a gazillion variations and tilted horizons and ND filters....
To be able to fly better than a bird, to experience the unique views we see from above not to mention the fun of planning flights and putting together an aerial video or sequence of photos which is something I could only dream of 3 years ago!

When I was a youngster, I hacked a crappy old Hanimex Super 8 camera. Attached an electrical push button switch and 9v battery to a really long speaker cable attached to the camera which was attached to the kite. Got it up to 15 metres high and pressed the button. Didn't have 3-axis gimbals back then nor firmware upgrades!

In my opinion - its worth it.

wrecked1.jpg

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots