DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Been getting maximum altitude reacted at about 10 feet

JD914

Reactions
Took a vacation to Oregon last week and i missed out on some spectacular shots because my Mavic wouldn't go higher than about 10 feet. I got a maximum altitude prompt and it would go anymore. I then adjusted the maximum altitude to 500 meters and nothing. Anyone else had this issue? Thinking of doing a factory reset but looking for a solution. TIA

BTW this is one of the few shots that 8 was about to get before this issue kicked in.
5350c55f472470138e85327554d6cd74.jpg

Reactions: Michael Ainsworth
Try uninstalling and reinstalling GO4.

Reactions: JD914
You might have been operating without a GPS lock. If you take off with only VPS I think the drone won't climb out of VPS range so as not to end up in atti. Not sure if that would happen at 10 feet, but it's a possibility to consider.

Reactions: Vacation guy
You might have been operating without a GPS lock. If you take off with only VPS I think the drone won't climb out of VPS range so as not to end up in atti. Not sure if that would happen at 10 feet, but it's a possibility to consider.
GPS was working correctly. I've been flying it without issues since January. I never take off until it's locked with GPS. I absolutely hate atti mode and refuse to fly it unless it's locked to GPS. Thanks.

GPS was working correctly. I've been flying it without issues since January. I never take off until it's locked with GPS. I absolutely hate atti mode and refuse to fly it unless it's locked to GPS. Thanks.

Did you calibrate the compass?

Have you flown since and does it act normally.
Could have been your location.
Interested to hear from the experts here as I am planning some similar shots in gorges with trees and waterfalls.

When GPS is insufficient due to awkward location, it's using the VPS (Visual Positioning) and won't let you go too high as it won't accurately know where it is anymore.
In that shot you appear to be almost in a ravine with tall trees - poor GPS.
If it does it in a more open location or with seemingly adequate satellites showing there may be a fault.
Bear in mind number of satellites required is not set in stone.
It might see (say) 8 but only in one small window of sky and that won't do.

From page 51 of the manual-

Mavic Height Limit.JPG

No wonder people have so many crashes into buildings and surrounding trees. If you leave VPS on you may never get high enough for a solid GPS link. VPS doesn't work worth a darn over grass or my asphalt driveway.

Limits like this go back to the Phantom 3, but the Mavic's are much more restrictive. With the older models you could practice flying ATTI so you would have a chance of avoiding a crash when there is a bit of wind. I don't see how new flyers could ever prepare for these kind of situations.

I think a lot of these nanny limits create dangers that didn't exist before.

Reactions: MDSH

View attachment 11175

No wonder people have so many crashes into buildings and surrounding trees. If you leave VPS on you may never get high enough for a solid GPS link. VPS doesn't work worth a darn over grass or my asphalt driveway.

Limits like this go back to the Phantom 3, but the Mavic's are much more restrictive. With the older models you could practice flying ATTI so you would have a chance of avoiding a crash when there is a bit of wind. I don't see how new flyers could ever prepare for these kind of situations.

It's a non-problem though because most won't have experienced loss of GPS and no VPS I expect.

I have two phones. I have tried both. First one updated to latest app which pops up when I connected to my remote control. It said limited to 100ft altitude. perfect GPS locked and I did login to my account. Still limited to 100ft. Second phone tried and I didn't dare to update the app already. It also popped up the same msg. So perfect GPS locked. Same location. It got no problem.

So shd be the latest app and firmware? I'm got two phones one mavic. So shd be the latest app instead. I guess. Have to stick with my second phone with my mavic pro at this moment.

I did log in and go into setting to max altitude as well. What did I do wrong for the first phone?

View attachment 11175

Right on brother!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka