DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Benjamin Rush Park Drone Meetup

spiderpig

Reactions
Got together with some guys from this forum for a drone meet up. We had 5 Mavics in the air along with tons of other flying machines. Here's a quick recap of the day:

Most of the copter meetup vids I have seen were FPV freestylin' (think: hardcore speeds). I must say, the same type of video but with simple hovering and smooth gliding at static altitude looks quite weird :) Thanks for sharing though.

Was the meetup OK / entertaining from the ground? The people, the machines, learning new stuff, humor? Any challenges, obstacle courses, bets, projects?

Most of the copter meetup vids I have seen were FPV freestylin' (think: hardcore speeds). I must say, the same type of video but with simple hovering and smooth gliding at static altitude looks quite weird :) Thanks for sharing though.

Was the meetup OK / entertaining from the ground? The people, the machines, learning new stuff, humor, etc?
Meeting up was cool. We got to meet some awesome RC guys who were flying some cool planes. We stayed in the control line area to stay out of there way. We talked about some flying techniques. I demo'd some Litchi app features. We did a five ship flight with all the Mavics. People also brought their own FPV drones and we flew some of those (apparently crashing is a must on those). We had some new Mavic people, some old Mavic people...overall great fun.

If your in the area, were planning on meeting at Green Lane park next Sunday.

That many Mavics could 3d map a much larger area in a small amount of time. Some cleanup and you got a map for <insert your fav FPS game>.

Since you mentioned Litchi...

I have seen many complaints against Litchi used on the Mavic. Birds lost or crashing, the software not being as stable on it as the Phantom. I have pretty much officially named my P3 the Litchi copter and will only use the Mavic Pro manually, at least that's the plan for now.

The P3 controller has a switch from F to A and P, but I'm not sure how you can reliably get back control on a Mavic. Is it the pause button? Is it guaranteed to work as flipping the switch from F to P?

So I've been working with the litchi guys as a beta tester and going back and forth with them with Mavic issues. So things are in the works.

For my P3S I pretty much fly litchi only because it gives it so much capabilities.

With the Mavic I find that it works to most degree, but there some issues with it. Focus being the main one, and they are actively working on that. The second issue is speed between waypoints. I've been collecting data for them and hopefully we can figure out the problem.

People need to remember that whenever you are flying any automated mode, you need to be able to regain control in case something goes wrong. This means you don't have litchi fly out beyond controller range. In order to get full control back with he Mavic, you need to switch to sports mode. Hitting the pause button will put it in a hover, but won't let you control it. Always have visual on the drone, don't go beyond the controllers range, and always be ready to take control if needed

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

don't go beyond the controllers range, and always be ready to take control if needed

I agree in spirit (though don't blame the mass of people who bought it specifically for that type of waypoint mission feature - I can see cases where it's applicable and may use it as such myself).

I've just heard that after interrupting Litchi on the Mavic, the mission stopped and they also couldn't regain control. Based on what you said, perhaps they used the pause button and didn't flick to Sports.

Does hitting "pause" pause the mission? If you hit it again does it resume? Or does it just hover there until you put it into Sports mode?
After you put it into Sports mode, is the mission cancelled?

ps. I don't regret that I asked, apparently I ran into just the right person to ask. Thanks for the insight.

I agree in spirit (though don't blame the mass of people who bought it specifically for that type of waypoint mission feature - I can see cases where it's applicable and may use it as such myself).

I've just heard that after interrupting Litchi on the Mavic, the mission stopped and they also couldn't regain control. Based on what you said, perhaps they used the pause button and didn't flick to Sports.

Does hitting "pause" pause the mission? If you hit it again does it resume? Or does it just hover there until you put it into Sports mode?
After you put it into Sports mode, is the mission cancelled?

ps. I don't regret that I asked, apparently I ran into just the right person to ask. Thanks for the insight.

Going into sports mode will end the mission. Pause will pause it, haven't tested if you can unpause.

If I have time this week I'll do a video about it. Litchi has built in screen recording which I like.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242