DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best 360 camera for Mavic?

WheelzWorld

Reactions
I was wondering if any of you guys tried some 360 camera on drones?

I guess for the Mavic it would need to be particularly light?
I mean I plan to have other accessories on it so the lighter the better!! (with still good quality, at least like Mavic let's say......:oops:)

at least like Mavic let's say

There's no good 4K 360º options. Nikon has a horrible two-fisheye camera with major stitching errors. The Ricoh Theta S is pretty good for a 360º camera but it's not very low-profile and it is far from "like the Mavic" in terms of image quality. The Mavic needs any added cargo to be very close to the center of mass or it will rock and vibrate out of control.

I was considering the fly360 4k but maybe it's better wait...?

Still have pretty big fisheye feel...

Cheapest currently for compact and 6k resolution... It's still way cheaper than gopro omni (which is certainly a no go for a drone as small...)

I have been testing the Gear 360 on the Mavic. Works very good (just don't forget to turn off VPS). Very little shaking and well balanced. I'm still testing but do have an unlisted video up on one of these tests. The video is worthless unless turned up to the highest resolution:

With the adaptor and the latest software you _NEED_ to turn off VPS. With it on, I found the Mavic would slowly rise and lower on it's own and was not responsive to up and down stick movements. That is, it would float upward and could not be stopped for several seconds. Same thing downward.

360 cameras have big limitations in their resolution and sensors. Right now they are not very practical. The video is good in VR goggles but other than that, they are limited.

Keep in mind, this is just a test video. It's not meant to be a demo of the 360's ability on a Mavic. At certain times I was starting and stopping to get the Mavic to really pitch a lot so I could see the affect on the video.

I've tested both the Samsung Gear 360 and the LG 360 Cam. The Gear 360 is heavier, but the LG hangs lower from the Mavic catching any wind and making it a little more difficult to catch. DO NOT TRY THIS WITHOUT DISABLING VPS - You can disable the downward visual positioning sensors in the visual navigation settings menu by tapping on advanced settings.

Here's a shot of the Mavic with the Samsung Gear 360:

Video from the Samsung Gear 360:

Video from the LG 360 Cam:

My Gear:
kit.com/JedRecord/drone-photography-gear

I hope this helps!

17903748_1858988974361252_1643472578833038169_n.jpg

About to pull the trigger on the GoPro Fusion but too big for the Mavic I think

My Virb 360 and 3D bottom mount will be here next week. Just started looking at the Xiaomi Mi Sphere. Looks like a great contender to the VIRB 360 or GoPo Fusion at a fraction of the price.

My Virb 360 and 3D bottom mount will be here next week. Just started looking at the Xiaomi Mi Sphere. Looks like a great contender to the VIRB 360 or GoPo Fusion at a fraction of the price.

Not seen this before. Looks great. Video quality looks good to. Thanks for the tip off. May save me forking out £650 for a fusion

Anybody tried the Ricoh Theta S with a Mavic Pro Platinum mounted at CG? I have one that has a nicked lens (the damned thing has a tendency to fall over on small tripods...) so I'm not worried about trashing it Of course, it's a bit of a monster in terms of length and weighs about five ounces.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji