DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best antenna/range booster

jpelton722

Reactions
Hi,
I'm new to mavic flying. Is there any consensus on the best antenna/range booster, or so most people just stick with the stock?

I've seen some antennas and range booster threads sprinkled here and there, but nothing with hard evidence that it works

Stock is excellent. Boosted with 3rd party antenna is better. Perhaps 30% range increase with aftermarket antenna and about 70% range increase with boosted antenna. That's my experience anyway. One thing you'll notice is that the HD video receive link will outpace the RC transmission link. By amplifying your transmission, you fix the weak link. I see much greater stability in my connection with my amps and antenna. There are many good options which include the Nanosync, the FPVLR yagi type, and big circular polarizing ones like the FPVLR with the spiral coils. They all help and really depends on where you are flying and how portable you want your setup to be.

Last edited:
Reactions: ed1nh0
Good thread for newbies like myself!

If I can add a question to the OP...

If we are experiencing limited range due to trees/foliage then is it unreasonable to expect a range booster to improve things? While flying from my back deck I get to roughly 2,500 feet before wussing out due to low signal warnings and turning around. I live in an area with lots of trees.

If we are experiencing limited range due to trees/foliage then is it unreasonable to expect a range booster to improve things? While flying from my back deck I get to roughly 2,500 feet before wussing out due to low signal warnings and turning around. I live in an area with lots of trees.

The boosted antenna will certainly help in that environment. You cannot expect miracles as boosted signal is also degraded with foliage, but there will be more penetration with boosted and/or a more directional antenna that focuses the energy in the direction of your drone.

Another option is to use the windsurfer type added to stock to help focus the signal forward. I haven't tested these yet, but have some coming for the 2nd controller which is stock. In theory the windsurfer add on should help.

Reactions: Turnerm
The boosted antenna will certainly help in that environment. You cannot expect miracles as boosted signal is also degraded with foliage, but there will be more penetration with boosted and/or a more directional antenna that focuses the energy in the direction of your drone.

Another option is to use the windsurfer type added to stock to help focus the signal forward. I haven't tested these yet, but have some coming for the 2nd controller which is stock. In theory the windsurfer add on should help.
Thanks Nate! Any particular products you recommend me starting with?

I have both the FPVLR yagi type antenna and a FPVLR clone of the Circular Polarized type. I would go with the original as seen on the FPVLR.com website. Those are both working well for me. I did 30,000ft range out with the FPVLR yagi type and that was unboosted. With my larger circular polarized antenna boosted, I haven't reached the limit yet and I've flown out to 36,000ft (72,000 round trip). I run out of battery before I run out of signal. I run Sunhams 3W amplifiers. You can find details in other existing threads. I'm not saying my option is the best. It's just what I've been using. I'm sure the other options are good as well.

Reactions: Turnerm
Thanks! Something like that looks fairly involved to install... Is it or am I just over-complicating it?

Thanks! Something like that looks fairly involved to install... Is it or am I just over-complicating it?

The installation of the RP-SMA connectors on the controller is not so easy. It can be done, but there is a chance to break ribbon cable latches. You also need to file/dremmel away some plastic to fit the connectors. There are place that will do it for you like dronenerds.com and MaxxUAV.com. It is worth the price to have it professionally done. I used the DroneNerds kit and I have to say that I'm having good results. DroneNerds cable is a bit thicker and I was complaining when installing, but I get very good results. The cables came with the FPVLR antenna installation (yagi type which are nice portable).

Reactions: hanshaw
The installation of the RP-SMA connectors on the controller is not so easy. It can be done, but there is a chance to break ribbon cable latches. You also need to file/dremmel away some plastic to fit the connectors. There are place that will do it for you like dronenerds.com and MaxxUAV.com. It is worth the price to have it professionally done. I used the DroneNerds kit and I have to say that I'm having good results. DroneNerds cable is a bit thicker and I was complaining when installing, but I get very good results. The cables came with the FPVLR antenna installation (yagi type which are nice portable).

There is no need to dremel anything for the remote install.

Both MaxxUAV and DBS antenna kits are ready to install as is.

Is it consensus hat drone world is scammy? I was intrigued by their swap antennas - MaXX MOD DJI Mavic Pro Range Extender 3 Antenna Kit + Installation -

Drone World has been proven to misrepresent several times.

Now this "triple threat" type kit doesn't seem to be that crazy expensive.

They today on their website claim to have developed some ground breaking Dragon Bridge technology by installing secret mini Amps into your controller. All BS. That's what makes me not trust them.

They have Avery good marketing and websites. Other than that, they target people new to the hobby with more money than good sense. They even call their best kit the "Executive" kit. Scammers.

A good rule? If they offer a mini drone for free as part of the deal stay away. That's back alley Chinese tactics.

The only positive thing about drone-world is that they advertize the circular polarized antenna increases HD range. These type actually does this in my experience. For the rest horrible CS and lots of air.

Hi CyberNate,

I have been lurking in these forums for a while, but this is my first post :). Can I ask you some questions? Have you ever compared FPVLR Yagi type with Maxx's Nano Sync? If you have, which one do you prefer? Which one is more forgiving in terms of not having to aim the antenna right at the drone? Will any of them give significant improvement over stock unboosted?

From the size perspective, I prefer FPVLR Yagi type as it seems more simple to remove for transport and keep the remote compact. But if the performance of the Nano Sync is significantly better, I have no problem in sacrificing compactness for performance. Also, if I wanted to have it boosted, it seems the Nano Sync would be the better choice?

Actually I am not so much into long distance, but I live in a city where interference is very, very bad. I need to "punch" through the interference to maintain good control on the Mavic.

Thanks so much in advance!

Reactions: aggillator
Hi CyberNate,

I have been lurking in these forums for a while, but this is my first post :). Can I ask you some questions? Have you ever compared FPVLR Yagi type with Maxx's Nano Sync? If you have, which one do you prefer? Which one is more forgiving in terms of not having to aim the antenna right at the drone? Will any of them give significant improvement over stock unboosted?

From the size perspective, I prefer FPVLR Yagi type as it seems more simple to remove for transport and keep the remote compact. But if the performance of the Nano Sync is significantly better, I have no problem in sacrificing compactness for performance. Also, if I wanted to have it boosted, it seems the Nano Sync would be the better choice?

Actually I am not so much into long distance, but I live in a city where interference is very, very bad. I need to "punch" through the interference to maintain good control on the Mavic.

Thanks so much in advance!

I've never used the Nanosync. but I have one coming soon and will test. For penetration through interference, you will want to boost the signal. Best penetration will come with a Circular Polarizing antenna like this FPVLR:
SOLO V.2 Long Range Kit 10.5dBi - FPVLR

I have Yagi type as well as the RexUAV Circular Polarizing (basically the same as FPVLR i linked above). There are some cheap boosters that will work well enough for $25 each:

Amazon.com: Wifi Signal Booster 2.4Ghz 4W 802.11 Signal Extender Wifi Repeater Broadband Amplifiers for Wireless Router, with 5dBi antenna: Computers & Accessories

I use Sunhams which are slightly better, but are way more expensive at $85 each.

I should add, the Yagi type antennas are nice in the sense that you don't need to aim precisely. It's a nice wide beam. There is only about a 30% improvement over stock without boost, and like 60-70% with boosting. Interference is can be tough to overcome with any antenna. If it's very strong interference, there's no antenna/booster that will overcome it completely.

Last edited:

I have the same sort of issue where I live. Thick and densely pack patches of trees. Im trying one of the windsurfer type antenna boosters myself. About $10 shipped so no huge loss if they dont work great.

I've never used the Nanosync. but I have one coming soon and will test. For penetration through interference, you will want to boost the signal. Best penetration will come with a Circular Polarizing antenna like this FPVLR:
SOLO V.2 Long Range Kit 10.5dBi - FPVLR

I have Yagi type as well as the RexUAV Circular Polarizing (basically the same as FPVLR i linked above). There are some cheap boosters that will work well enough for $25 each:

Amazon.com: Wifi Signal Booster 2.4Ghz 4W 802.11 Signal Extender Wifi Repeater Broadband Amplifiers for Wireless Router, with 5dBi antenna: Computers & Accessories

I use Sunhams which are slightly better, but are way more expensive at $85 each.

I should add, the Yagi type antennas are nice in the sense that you don't need to aim precisely. It's a nice wide beam. There is only about a 30% improvement over stock without boost, and like 60-70% with boosting. Interference is can be tough to overcome with any antenna. If it's very strong interference, there's no antenna/booster that will overcome it completely.
Thanks for your reply CyberNate! It's very helpful for me.

I am looking forward to your review on Nanosync. As I wrote before, I want to keep it still relatively compact and simple as I am not really looking for long range. If Nanosync can give me 50% improvement over stock without boosting, I'll do it.

I have the same sort of issue where I live. Thick and densely pack patches of trees. Im trying one of the windsurfer type antenna boosters myself. About $10 shipped so no huge loss if they dont work great.
Trees kill your signal. Especially pinetrees.
The most common mistake people make is "thinking" they have LoS because the terrain in direction of flight is clear the first 1000m...not realizing the terrain after 1000m is already 10m higher with trees on it totalling more than 25m. So when flying at 100m altitude the LoS is lost after 4km...boosting wil help penetrating through trees some when mavic is relatively nearby but as your signal gets scattered all over the place it will not serve well either.
Clear LoS..that is the trick. Then boosting works great.

Thanks for your reply CyberNate! It's very helpful for me.

I am looking forward to your review on Nanosync. As I wrote before, I want to keep it still relatively compact and simple as I am not really looking for long range. If Nanosync can give me 50% improvement over stock without boosting, I'll do it.

Then probably you won't do it.
Interference wise Nanosync will not do any good. It could give you some improvement over stock but this would be in uncongested area. The FPVLR antenna designed for the 3dr Solo will increase your range on the HD part compared to stock in interference area but this one is not very forgiving in directional terms. Although (HD) beam should be 60 deg I noticed that it is more like 30-40 at longer distance. The RC part is more forgiving.
Stock the nanosync can be folded very compact with a minor DiY adjustment so you will not have to take it off. I love the design, especially the bracket. In My opinion better option than the FPVLR Yagi. You do not want to remove the cables all the time, SMA connectors are not made for this.
Some of us will test the Nanosync boosted soon. (I did do this before on the RC part and it worked quite well until it didn't. My amp became RIP). If this works out well it would be an elegant solution. @JakeMaxxUAV is working on a mount for the amps.
Just wait for what the outcome will be or try the Nanosync for yourself. Maybe you will have better luck in your area. Here (CE region) people are getting very long range with stock in some areas, also in US people have made it beyond 40.000' with stock antennae. For me boosting is the way to go and I like it!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S