DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best battery charging cycle for infrequent flyers.

Edslittleworld

Reactions
I only fly my MP once a week and usually on extended flight missions. I own four batteries. I carry two car chargers to keep my flow of fresh batteries going when out on flight missions. I usually fly my drones to no less than 25% power left on the battery. Questions:

1) Should I fully charge my batteries when I get home?
2) Is it a waste to only charge to 50% as it would be considered a "double charge" when fully topping up?
3) What should I set my battery auto-discharge setting be?
4) What is the best battery charge remaining to end a flight? 30%? 20%? 10%?

Thanks!

1. I do, some don't and wait till they fly the same day
2. nope, i always fully charge mine - it's a toy and i enjoy having fun, life is short
3. mine is 8 days for the hell of it
4. mine is usually ~20-30%, depends how annoyed i am of the beeps

1 - You need to let battery cool down before considering plugging back to recharge. You can ruin the battery if you charge when it is still warm.
2 - For a week, I don´t see an issue on LIPO batteries to be fully charged. maybe for longer periods like > month ...
3 - 10 days is more than enough, but really depends on your usage.
4 - I usually land when it´s about 20.you can go beyond as long as you have it all under control, you don´t want to see your uav falling like a rock from the sky.

Reactions: Jim596 and kykayak
Should I fully charge my batteries when I get home?
It depends on what your "Time to Discharge" setting it set to in DJI GO. For example, it would not make sense to fully charge your batteries if that setting is set to 2 days and you don't plan to fly again for another 7 days. If you did that, you'd have to fully charge your batteries again since they would auto discharge back down to the storage level before you go to use them again.

Is it a waste to only charge to 50% as it would be considered a "double charge" when fully topping up?
If your batteries are around 30% when you turn them off, you could really keep them stored as-is if you're going to fly again within 7 days. If you're not sure when you're going to fly again, then charge them up until the 3rd battery light starts blinking (~50% charged).

What should I set my battery auto-discharge setting be?
There really isn't one best setting for everyone. Keep in mind that the batteries will take 2-3 days to auto discharge after the "Time to Discharge" day has been reached. For example, if that setting is set to 2 days, the batteries will not finish auto discharging until 4-5 days have passed.

What is the best battery charge remaining to end a flight? 30%? 20%? 10%?
It would be better to always land by the time the first battery cell reaches 3.3V. See more details here.

Quick question, going away for 2 weeks, would you leave the battery in the Mavic whilst away, or remove it?
Thanks

I always store my Mavic without the battery installed. It shoudn't hurt anything if you don't remove it though -- since they are stored in the box like that before they are sold.

Reactions: Soundtekk
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa