DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best firmware and your reasons why

I like to use the latest firmware version after it's known to be stable. Why? It contains the latest available features and fixes.

I'm still on .400 It has been faultless for me, yet the constant niggles some appear to have with later versions reinforces my belief that if it aint broke, don't fix it. I've got nothing to gain really by updating so the risk is not worth it to me.
I will update if an issue arises with my Mavic that new firmware will resolve. Or I decide I really, really want to use Airplane mode (which looks kinda cool).

With flying machines, I like to operate on the "if they ain't telling you they fixed it, that doesn't mean it wasn't broken" mentality ;)

With flying machines, I like to operate on the "if they ain't telling you they fixed it, that doesn't mean it wasn't broken" mentality ;)
I understand your thinking msinger. However in this instance, there seems to be many more cases of niggles and more serious glitches with later firmware than what anecdotally appears to be true with version .400
This could of course be due to more people using later versions than those of us still on .400
I just prefer to stay in my safe place.:)

I'm still on .400 It has been faultless for me, yet the constant niggles some appear to have with later versions reinforces my belief that if it aint broke, don't fix it. I've got nothing to gain really by updating so the risk is not worth it to me.
I will update if an issue arises with my Mavic that new firmware will resolve. Or I decide I really, really want to use Airplane mode (which looks kinda cool).

Thanks for your input GlenT, I have heard nothing but good reviews on .400 I think I may downgrade to that version myself

I've upgraded to every new firmware version so far and it has been absolutely flawless.

What kind of niggles have you seen?

I've upgraded to every new firmware version so far and it has been absolutely flawless.

What kind of niggles have you seen?
All the NFZ instances, loss of connection (could be app issues?), reduced signal strength, resolved when FW rolled back, various erratic flight control issues.
The mere fact that you're re-loading firmware onto a chip can increase the risk of data corruption. I'm not saying I never update anything, I just pick my battles if you will.
The gain vs risk scenario is something I run through my head. What will I gain by updating and is it worth increasing the risk I may experience the issues others are reporting.
All it takes is one of those 1's or 0's being out of order in the code and I've got an expensive brick falling outta the sky.

All the NFZ instances, loss of connection (could be app issues?), reduced signal strength, resolved when FW rolled back, various erratic flight control issues.
Crazy stuff. It sounds like you might have a lemon on your hands if you're experiencing all of those issues.

0600 on one 0700 on another 0500 and 550 defo did not feel right. i tend to wait for a few days now, see what thoughts others have, Then i always upgrade while i can still downgrade.

so i know 0600 works fine for me on one drone, now i will fly my other on 0700 and if that seems ok i then update the other and test that one if all ok then i sit with it until the next week (it seems weekly right now) the next one comes along.

had no really crazy gimbals or issues on any, reduced range i can not decide fully, inteference here changes so much i never know what the range is here.

0600 i got 5 kilos i Thailand which is more than enough and here in UK i cant get much more than 2 kilos before i am getting close to an airport somewhere, 2 kilos is enough for me here.

my camera work is crap anyway and this laptop is so old it cant edit anything . until the new one comes i fly more for fun and memories than pure filming right now

everyone has their own favorites, i don't, i am just happy not to have a bricked Mavic or one with issues and lucky enough i can test one FW before i have to change both Mavics.

stay on what you happy with or upgrade while u can downgrade and try it out.

0400 for me.

I am an advocate for updating to get the most out of a company's R+D. So I went to 0600. I immediately got NFZ LIMIT errors and gimbal horizon issues, on a previously flawless aircraft. So I went back to 0400 and those issues dissapeared.

From what i can gather 0400 does seem to be the sweet spot. I'll stay here for a while and not upgrade until I hear of a version less problematic.

Last edited:
Reactions: adiru
I'll weigh in, but as a NEWB. My Mavic came with .400. It's working well for me. I pretty much adhere to the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy, so when I fired it up, I was pleased I was able to skip over the update urgings. Often as not these are pushed out by lawyers to cover butts, rather than engineers that fix stuff or improve stuff, so I waited.

Having read the many issues with versions beyond .400, I still wait. The Mavic runs fine and the updates offer only negatives so far as I can tell, at least for my purposes. I'd be tempted to jump on an open source firmware if there were such a thing, but that may never come.

I'd recommend any new owner to leave it as it comes from the factory. That build seems rock solid, so why mess with it?

Reactions: RAMJET-1 and TJT
0400 for me.

I am an advocate for updating to get the most out of a company's research. So I went to 0600. I immediately got NFZ LIMIT errors and gimbal horizon issues, on a previously flawless aircraft. So I went back to 0400 and those issues dissapeared.

From what i can gather 0400 does seem to be the sweet spot. I'll stay here for a while and not upgrade until I hear of a version less problematic.
Just wondering what app version you run with that? I too am on
.400, but have version .5 Android app. I have had no real issues so plan to stay here - kind of wondering if the .4 would be a better choice for my app version. If anyone could shed some light on the I'd appreciate it.

I'll venture to say stability firmware releases goes up and down as a model evolves over it's lifetime. I've seen it in the Phantom series as well.
At this point I'd say the Mavic has matured enough now that the firmware is functioning as it was meant to and future releases will be more stable in general.
I like .700 so far but I imagine there will be some future updates to correct/improve goggle function. Just my opinion...

Reactions: lweekspors
When I first upgraded to .600 it brought back my wobbly horizon. So I downgraded to 400 then re-upgraded to. 600 which seemed to fix my wobbly horizon. No clue why downgrading and then re-upgrading had any effect at all. But it seem too. I'm tempted to upgrade to 700 because I still have a slight rise in lean as a bank left and right. And I'm hearing it fixes that

Is the main issue with the variants of the Go app rather than the firmware for the Mavic and controller. Would be interested to see which Go app version works best with each firmware upgrade.

Reactions: ZALEXANDERK

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair