DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best phone/tablets what work with Mavic?

Hi there. Total drone newb here so go easy on me. Never flown one, never even touched one, but I love the footage people are getting out of this amazing device.
Here's the question: do you reckon a total newb could get away with using an iPhone 6se? I realise it's compatible but is a 4'' screen going to be a problem?

Reactions: Soundtekk
Hi there. Total drone newb here so go easy on me. Never flown one, never even touched one, but I love the footage people are getting out of this amazing device.
Here's the question: do you reckon a total newb could get away with using an iPhone 6se? I realise it's compatible but is a 4'' screen going to be a problem?

You mean the 5se?

I used the 5s back when I had the phantom 2v+. It'll do the job but a bigger screen is always better.

You mean the 5se?

I used the 5s back when I had the phantom 2v+. It'll do the job but a bigger screen is always better.

Thanks JJM. I guess I'm hoping to hear from people who operate the Mavic with just a 4" and have no issues.

Thanks JJM. I guess I'm hoping to hear from people who operate the Mavic with just a 4" and have no issues.

Well when I receive the mavic sometime this week I'll use an iPhone 5 with it and let you know. I'm willing to bet I'll say the same thing I just said. The dji app wasn't that much different from the current one. More clutter, which is why I said it's doable but a bigger screen is better.

Download the app and select "enter device" on the lower right to see what it will look like (minus live video) on your 4" screen.

Reactions: ballerhe75
Well when I receive the mavic sometime this week I'll use an iPhone 5 with it and let you know. I'm willing to bet I'll say the same thing I just said. The dji app wasn't that much different from the current one. More clutter, which is why I said it's doable but a bigger screen is better.

Download the app and select "enter device" on the lower right to see what it will look like (minus live video) on your 4" screen.
Thanks JJM. I'd really appreciate that.
As you said, it looks a bit cluttered.

The only time the GPS is used on the phone/tablet is when you use the "Follow-Me" intelligent flight mode. It also is used if you reset home using the controller location (as opposed to the Mavic location). There may be a couple other edge cases where GPS is used on the phone/tablet (but I can't think of any), but you certainly don't need it to do the vast majority of your flying.

I've had my Mavic for a couple of days now. Mostly flown with my nexus 5x which fits the controller beautifully. I have some issues with it though:
  1. The app froze on me twice already, once when using the flight mode button on the LH side of the app screen, and the other time I don't know why. Had to reboot the phone in order for it to function again. Luckily it didn't yield any problems since the first time the drone was on the ground and the other time it was hovering in front of me with plenty battery life left.

2. Lag/pixelated view: the lag is about 0.5-1 second if I have to estimate it. Though this is not much, it is too much to fly FPV or to fly looking at the display rather than at the drone... is this due to the phone or is this normal lag?

3. Screen brightness is nothing to write home about on a sunny day. Even when standing in the shade I had to shield the display in order to be able to see something on it.

4. Cluttered screen. Though the clutter itself is not too bad, but all the buttons on the top of the screen are too close to the edge of the controller for my taste; you need to be very precise to use them.
I have to note that the storage of my Nexus 5x is almost always quite full, so that may have something to do with the stability and lag issues... or does it?

So, I yesterday did a quick check with my Nexus 7 2013 (couldn't fly due to strong winds though, just coffeetable checks). This fits in the controller, but to my taste, the arms of it are so spread that it isn't comfortable to hold anymore, and I couldn't properly reach the control sticks anymore.
I also have a Nexus 7 (2012), which is a bit smaller, so I will try that as well, but since it is so slow, I guess it won't be a good device to use.

So I have some questions;
  1. For you ipad mini users; how do you hold the controller with the tablet in it? (Size is comparable to the nexus 7, about 200mm)
  2. Does the fact that the storage of my phone is quite full affect the stability and lag issues?
  3. What device would you recommend, based on the following wishes:
  • Preferably android, but if ios is a must then so be it (if that solves app crashing)
  • Reduced lag -> Probably quite high specs needed? If so, what factors/specs influence the lag
  • Increased brightness
  • Size: in between the Nexus 5x (147mm) and the Nexus 7 (200mm), so say about 175mm
  • Price: preferably below €200,-

bah really dont want ios hate anything apple

I'll never understand this...you'd rather take your chances with a flawed software hardware combo with a 1000 dollar drone than something that works every time?. Go ahead and hate Apple....in this case its the go to product.

I'm not an apple fanatic, but when it works EVERY TIME, WITH NO ROLLONG BACK CRAP, I'd put my android fan boy feelings aside.....

Insanity....My drones too expense to go thru what you Apple hater put yourselves thru, all because you hate some company thousands of miles away due to some ideology......

Reactions: amaggs and Ziggy01
IPad mini 4 fits in the RC with no issues, you have to remove the cable for phones and the retaining clip, then it fits.
A short USB cable from the bottom of the RC to the iPad, and away you go!
b5d49f5287c41098da8b66f7883347d7.jpg
fbd64f5f84d408cd8a9c09338ab8bfb5.jpg

Its been written here with some tests that having the magnetic side of the pad on top causes stick problems. Flip it so the iPad menu button is on the RIGHT.

Reactions: JoostGT3
Thanks for the feedback Soundtekk & Glen e!
One confusion though; what I meant was "how do you hold the controller&tablet in your hand", rather than "how does it fit in the controller". The nexus 7 fits in the same way, but I find it really uncomfortable to hold the combination, as I normally hold the controller by the rubber on the folding arms. Due to the large size of the tablet, these are now folded outward and do not fit nicely in the palms of my hands.

Thanks for the feedback Soundtekk & Glen e!
One confusion though; what I meant was "how do you hold the controller&tablet in your hand", rather than "how does it fit in the controller". The nexus 7 fits in the same way, but I find it really uncomfortable to hold the combination, as I normally hold the controller by the rubber on the folding arms. Due to the large size of the tablet, these are now folded outward and do not fit nicely in the palms of my hands.

I find it fits well in my hands. Must be lucky.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji