DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best tablet/device to dedicate to mavic

I had a mini 2 that I got specifically to run map pilot iOS. It worked ok for non terrain aware missions. But was nothing short of massive frustration for TA missions. Even though the maps made easy folks said a mini 2 work, it did not. Tried the mini 4 and problems gone

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
The Mini 2 is very marginal in the resources department for the Mavic, it worked fairly well for the Phantom 3 but the Mavic seems to require more horsepower, the mini 3 or 4 works well.

I'm going to chime in again on the subject of tablets vs phones for controlling the Mavic with Go or any of the others. I always used a Shield, or occasionally an iPad Air 2 with my Phantom, and both devices were great. But with one massive flaw that applied to both. As far as I know, there is not one single tablet out there that is anywhere bright enough to be used in bright sunlight. On the other hand, a good quality phone (Sony Xperia S3/S5, Galaxy S6/S7, any newish iPhone etc) will out perform any tablet in the brightness stakes as most are specifically designed to be useable outdoors. No sunshade needed with either my Z3 (the best by quite a margin), an S7 Edge I had briefly or any of the iPhones knocking about our house.
The Z3's screen is to die for and is eye wateringly bright and just big enough at 5.2 inches.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots
I would never purchase a ipad Air2 cellular 'Just' to fly with, in addition to the higher cost of the tablet you will have the $10 a month data sharing fee. But, that being said, I already have one for traveling, so to get HDMI I have to 1. use a Nvidia Shield K1, or 2. wait for DJI's CrystalSky monitor (which will likely cost twice as much as a K1) or 3, if I only want to fly with goggles wait for the set DJI will come out with at some time in the future. So the K1 is the best option for HDMI out at this time, and only a $200 investment if I later want to move up too option 2 or 3.

Okay, I definitely have that. What I am looking for are the flight logs that posters are showing that seem to capture flight times etc and sync them somewhere ?

My mavic is due for delivery in 3 days, but i have a worry that i cant use my mobile with it. Can anybody confirm if the mavic and dji go app are compatable with an lg g4 mobile. Many thanks in advance.

My mavic is due for delivery in 3 days, but i have a worry that i cant use my mobile with it. Can anybody confirm if the mavic and dji go app are compatable with an lg g4 mobile. Many thanks in advance.

Check website, still even that's not all inclusive

Sent from [emoji211]

hi all,

On my way to fly this morning my phone rang and I ended up talking for an hour. That drain my battery to 50%. Then my phone rang while I was flying. Then I put it into airplane mode and it died in about 20 minutes.

All this to say that I think I have decided that I'm going to let my phone via phone and get a dedicated device for my Mavic. Hopefully this will mean more flight time and quicker set up. So here's my question:

Can anybody recommend the perfect device as a dedicated Mavic screen? I did buy a Litchi for my iPhone so if it's an android which it probably is I will have to buy it again. That makes me sad.

I guess I am looking for the best performance for the price. Something as big as possible that still fits. Something of battery last a good long time.

I'm sure this has been discussed many times but I wasn't able to find my exact question. Thank you in advance. Happy flying.
After spending some time with the Forum's assessment of a dedicated device I went with the Samsung Galaxy Tab A. Except for a few months I've always been Android but I was almost convinced to go Ipad mini. After looking online and checking prices, I fell back on what I knew and felt comfortable with. After all, a new OS on top of a new Mavic left me doubtful of my own capabilities to process everything .Thanks for everyone's input on this subject. Believe me, it all was a learning experience.

I disagree. I am using an Acer Iconia One 7 that has identical specs to the OP's tablet with many flights on it with zero lag and I mean zero. I have looked for it and tried to find a flaw with the configuration and cannot find any.

No stutter, no crashes Nada. Running Lolipop 5

The ONLY issue I see is that the DJI Go 4 Android app does not seem to have the function to sync or view flight logs. The OP's video shows it however I think it disappeared in the most recent release.

Anyone able to find it ??

Is this the same tablet as you are using? I just want to be sure and get one that has smooth video.. I tried the nuetab 7 and it is not good for me anyway.. video is more like watching still frames as you move. https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Iconia-...1484855680&sr=1-12&keywords=Acer+Iconia+One+7

I have had my Mavic for just over a week and realised pretty quickly that I didn't want to keep removing my phone from its case and back again, plus the fact of having to reject calls and putting it on do not disturb was a pain if someone needed to get hold of me... I had a look at the suggestions for tablets and Samsung, ipad, acer etc etc....I didn't really want to go down the route of a large tablet and wanted at least 2GB ram on board so cost was going up. Did some search's online for a super large phone and came across the Lenovo PhabletPlus, measurements seemed to be perfect for the controller so I took a leap and ordered one of eBay.. Ok so it was a bit more than I wanted to spend (£140 2nd Hand) but 6.98 inches this would be a perfect viewing screen and still sit in the hands comfortabley with out being as large as a 7inch tablet with a bigger bezel.

Pros: Big Screen, 2gb ram, 32GB onboard, micro SD expansion, GPS ( I am not going to use it as a phone and could always hotspot my other phone if I need internet.)
Cons: Was slightly fatter than I though and the rubber on the controller needed trimming, you have to use the long usb lead as the small one is too short

I will add more Pros & Cons the more I use it

But here is a picture :)DSC_0497.JPG

I'm going to chime in again on the subject of tablets vs phones for controlling the Mavic with Go or any of the others. I always used a Shield, or occasionally an iPad Air 2 with my Phantom, and both devices were great. But with one massive flaw that applied to both. As far as I know, there is not one single tablet out there that is anywhere bright enough to be used in bright sunlight. On the other hand, a good quality phone (Sony Xperia S3/S5, Galaxy S6/S7, any newish iPhone etc) will out perform any tablet in the brightness stakes as most are specifically designed to be useable outdoors. No sunshade needed with either my Z3 (the best by quite a margin), an S7 Edge I had briefly or any of the iPhones knocking about our house.
The Z3's screen is to die for and is eye wateringly bright and just big enough at 5.2 inches.

Thank you.

Thank you.

I've dug this thread up to see what alternatives there is to the device I have planned/now.

I gave my son my iPhone SE and bought an un-used Z3 which I hoped would be perfect for the mavic.

Now I know I made the right choice.

Sent from my D6603 using MavicPilots mobile app

Thank you.

Thank you.

I've dug this thread up to see what alternatives there is to the device I have planned/now.

I gave my son my iPhone SE and bought an un-used Z3 which I hoped would be perfect for the mavic.

Now I know I made the right choice.

Sent from my D6603 using MavicPilots mobile app

Good, I'm glad Will. I love mine, and it hasn't let me down once. Also, I've had no problems adapting to a smaller screen.

Reactions: willhay555
I just switched to a new nvida k1 shield from a iPad Air 2. And yes I spent another 25 bucks for the litchi app. All went well for the day no problems except it was 40 degrees and I froze but the bird didn't complain.
Nivida has the micro sd card and it's removable storage plus a mini hdmi port. I'm thinking about FPV goggles soon and wanted that option. It Will mirror tablet to goggles. I just wasn't comfortable having my 500 dollar iPad out of its case. Did buy the MavMount it's great so they'll both work if I'm a big screen mood. I'm not finding the "litchi view" app for android like I got for the iPad, but maybe it's there somewhere. I'm new to the android party.

Tell me about outdoor brightness and how is Go4 running on this? Can't see my phone and the "cheaper" tablet I bought is totally unusable for video...Or really anything to do with the app. Even pushing menu items is severely lagging. So I am ready to push the add to Cart button on it. Also, is it fitting in the holder?

Wow,
This is a depressing thread. I have ordered a Mavic, and am thinking about canceling the order.
It seems like the DJI house are all Apple fan boys, and those of us not in love with the rapacious fruit company are basically out of luck. So in addition to the cost of the Mavic, I would have to spend almost $300.00 additional to purchase a Ipad that would only be used to fly it. Even though I have a Nexus 6p, and various Android devices already.
I was looking at possibly getting the Nvida Shield, but that doesn't seem to completely work either as the DJI support for Android devices does not even work on the devices that they claim to work on according to what I am reading in these forums.

Any thoughts?
Guy
:-(

Just my 2 cents but I'm using an nvidia shield K1 and it's performed flawlessly so far no issues at all AND I can plug my Fat Shark Dominator V3 goggles in for FPV as well!

I've used my iPhone 6+, my iPad mini 2, and an nvidia shield K1,,,,, all three devices work perfectly fine with the go and go 4 apps the reason I use the nvidia is for the FPV while using my Mavic! I can use either iOS or android on my P4 and P4P because I've installed the HDMI modules on both controllers as well as my spare remote controller. So I can honestly say these work well, one thing worth mentioning is I've seen threads where people have mentioned lack of distance when using android items,,,? I've not had any of this while using the shield tablet at all it's the same on both as far as I can tell!

I bought an ipod Touch 6th Generation as a dedicated device for my Mavic.

Hi!
And are you happy with it, as far as flying the Mavic? No problem at all?

I've used my iPhone 6+, my iPad mini 2, and an nvidia shield K1,,,,, all three devices work perfectly fine with the go and go 4 apps the reason I use the nvidia is for the FPV while using my Mavic! I can use either iOS or android on my P4 and P4P because I've installed the HDMI modules on both controllers as well as my spare remote controller. So I can honestly say these work well, one thing worth mentioning is I've seen threads where people have mentioned lack of distance when using android items,,,? I've not had any of this while using the shield tablet at all it's the same on both as far as I can tell!

I was thinking of getting an Nvidia K1 Shield. Does it have GPS? Does it fit on the remote clamps or do you need a Mavmount. How is the brightness outside compared to the iPad mini?

Reactions: Fly4grub
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair